Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TT Supra Spring/Shock shows no drop!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 05:21 PM
LexusSC007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT Supra Spring/Shock shows no drop!

New here looking to find answers for a suspension setup.

I have a 93 Lexus SC300, it was fully stock. I wanted to drop the car so I got the Tein Full Coilovers 8 months ago. Been riding on them for the about 6 months ago and it took alot of beaten. Rode very rough and I just went back to stock by putting the original stock spring/shocks back on. Rode on that for 2 months and those are blown as of 2 days ago.

I then started researching online for more suspension lowering options and read about the Supra Twin Turbo Springs and Shocks.

I ordered those 2 days ago and put it on. I'm using 97 Toyota Supra Front Shocks which came from Toyota Dealership. I also ordered 97 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Front Springs as well, for some odd reason there is a difference in price and height i believe. According to the parts personnel at Toyota. Either way, I ordered it and it came. For the Rear of the SC300, Toyota Supra discontinued their Rear Springs so I didn't have any way to get Original Supra Spring. So instead, I purchase the SC300 brand new KYB Rear shocks to mount with the SC300 Original Spring for the Rear.

Anyhow, after installing the New 97' Supra Front Shocks and Spring and 93 SC300 New Rear Shock with Original SC300 spring, I didn't notice any difference in the Front. It seems like it the car is higher than before stock suspension.

I rode the car and it rode fine. Look wise, the wheel gap to fender for the front is off by 3/8'' of a inch between both side. Driver side is lower, Passenger side is higher?

I was under the impression the Supra Spring and Shocks for the SC300 front replacement would lower the car alot. Instead it didn't do anything.

Wondering if anyone can give me any advices? I know i didn't install it wrong, I wrench for a living full time. Wanted to get advices before I junk the whole stuff and go back to coilovers. This time not Megan but top of the line higher price coilovers system so I dont have to look back and said I should of got this..

Thanks.
Old 02-20-13, 05:31 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

should have stuck with coilovers to begin with. how are you eating through your suspension so fast? blew threw like 3 different setups within a year
Old 02-20-13, 05:44 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Stock MKIV TT shocks / springs will not lower the SC a lot . It will only lower it .5" - .75" I believe.
Old 02-20-13, 06:23 PM
LexusSC007
Driver School Candidate

With the Megan coilovers, Over a period of 6 months of riding with it, it just went too bouncy for me. I dont drive it much but when I do, it's annoying as hell.

That's when 2 months ago I went back with stock and got rid of the Megan coilovers. For those 2 months the stock suspension drove awesome but the height was super high. Just a few days ago I noticed alot of impact from the same road I take daily to work so I opted to change all four shocks. With that in mind, I wanted to lower it a little so that's where the Supra Spring at Shocks came into play. When I found out the dealership don't carry the Rear springs, I just order the Supra Front Springs and Shocks. I left the rear the same and just replace the stock SC300 Shocks with new KYB ones.

To be honest, it didn't lower anything. Not even .5'' or .75'' to the front. I do notice the wheel gap is different on both side on the front.

I'm on 19'' rims too and the gap is bigger than shock suspension. As far as ride quality, it's rides greats. No complaint there.

Does anyone know why the Supra Springs are different size for the fronts? I got one for $73 and the other for $82.

I"ll probably just ride with it for a month for now then remove it to go back with full brand name coilover like HKS Hypermax or something in that level.
Old 02-20-13, 07:48 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Stock MKIV TT shocks / springs will not lower the SC a lot . It will only lower it .5" - .75" I believe.
This is correct. Where did you get the shocks/springs from? Used from someone who claimed they were the TT's?
Old 02-20-13, 10:42 PM
LexusSC007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
This is correct. Where did you get the shocks/springs from? Used from someone who claimed they were the TT's?
Front 97 Supra Twin Turbo Spring and Shocks is from Toyota Dealership in Elk Grove, California.
Rear SC300 KYB Shocks is from Worldpac (Automotive OEM vendors) in Sacramento, California.

Bought them locally, I work at a automotive shop. They delivered it to me.

All parts are new. Have invoices for them just purchased 2 days ago. I don't think they'll take return after it's been installed and mounted.

Just seems weird from all the information I read about on the Supra Springs and Front shocks.

I even search it online for Toyota Supra Spring Part Number 48131.

Seems correct. Thought the dealership might have sent me the wrong one.
Old 02-20-13, 11:02 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so everything is brand new then. Give it a few weeks to settle. Im on TT KYB AGX with the Eibach Pro kit, and it was about a month before it fully settled.

But the stock TT Suspension isnt a big drop, so dont get your hopes too high.
Old 02-21-13, 09:57 AM
LexusSC007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Ok, so everything is brand new then. Give it a few weeks to settle. Im on TT KYB AGX with the Eibach Pro kit, and it was about a month before it fully settled.

But the stock TT Suspension isnt a big drop, so dont get your hopes too high.
Yeah thanks.

I'll keep it for a month and see how it changes. Most likely I'll probably yank it out after that month is up.

Options wise afterwards, I'm looking toward HKS Hipermax, Zeal Function - XS, Cusco, and Silkroad Coilovers. No more dicking around with the cheap stuff. You pay for what you get and I learned that the hard way. Megan Suspension for the SC300 is a POS personally.
Old 02-24-13, 01:51 PM
mikevandam
Driver

MK4 shocks and springs drop an extra .5" to maybe an inch compared to the SC's. The shocks are shorter than the SC's I believe. I'm on MK4 KYB shocks and Tein S-tech springs and it drops it tremendously compared to SC's shocks and springs. But do give it some time as they need to settle in. I mean they are new like you said.