Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What happened to my power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 02:36 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What happened to my power steering?

So I had 2 leaking hoses on my power steering pump, in addition to a whine coming from the pump. I had a complete pump with all hoses attached, so I decided just to save the hassle and just replace it all as one unit. Pulled the old pump/pulley/hoses out as one, and installed the new one.

Put it all back together, clicked the plug back in place, and then bled the steering. Went to drive it, and now my power steering isn't working. Pump is no longer whining, but I basically don't have any power steering. It's like steering an old bus

Checked fluid level in reservoir and it seems fine, no leaks. I put it back up on jacks at the front to make sure it was bled properly, and no more bubbles in the reservoir so that seemed good. Back down on the ground and same thing - no power steering...

Anyone have any ideas? Power steering was working fine before, just lots of whining and leaking, so I'm not sure how I fixed leaking/whining, but also lost the power steering?
Old 01-25-13, 03:01 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What fluid did you use? These are notoriously hard to bleed properly do let it sit overnight and bleed it the next day sometime .
Old 01-25-13, 03:03 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xspsi6
What fluid did you use? These are notoriously hard to bleed properly do let it sit overnight and bleed it the next day sometime .
Thank you for the response. I used Toyota ATF which I read was what I was supposed to use. Was this incorrect?

Thanks again,
Old 01-25-13, 03:58 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

That is correct however I have found redline to work really well in toyota p/s systems as it's a bit thinner and offers the same if not better protection,

It is much more easy to bleed with the redline fluid.
Old 01-25-13, 04:53 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

That is correct however I have found redline to work really well in toyota p/s systems as it's a bit thinner and offers the same if not better protection,

It is much more easy to bleed with the redline fluid.
Do you think it being a little thinner would mean the difference between the PS actually working and not working?

I did bleed it last night and then again today. To begin with it was still whining and being loud, and then after bleeding it again it went quiet
Old 01-25-13, 05:14 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Doubt it but usually it will quiet down some, I have had to turn the wheels lock to lock 50+ times to get air out of the system before and I do it on the ground with the car off which which is a work out but I finally got the air out
Also it seems to work best if it sets for a day or 2 without being started.
Old 01-25-13, 07:03 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your kickpanel fuses? I remember i had a blown fuse down there that had affected my power steering. I can't remember exactly which one it was.
Old 01-25-13, 07:14 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Well I went out there, and with the wheels down and the car off I got to turning the wheel. Did it a ton. Then started the car and no whining. Put it in reverse and it felt like PS was working. Then the whining came back really loud again and the reservoir overflowed a little. Loud noise coming from pump. Turned car off. Turned side to side again. Turned car on. Quiet pump. Turned wheel, loud whining noise...

So basically I either get no PS and no noise, or PS and loud whining noise
Old 01-25-13, 07:15 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Have you checked your kickpanel fuses? I remember i had a blown fuse down there that had affected my power steering. I can't remember exactly which one it was.
I haven't... although I've never heard of a fuse effecting power steering???
Old 01-25-13, 07:21 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I am almost 100% sure there is a major air bubble in the system still, After it runs is the fluid foamy like as in cavitation (lots of small air bubbles)?
Old 01-25-13, 07:25 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I am almost 100% sure there is a major air bubble in the system still, After it runs is the fluid foamy like as in cavitation (lots of small air bubbles)?
Yes sir. That's exactly what it's doing! My arms are dead from turning that damn wheel. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 01-25-13, 07:37 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

It may take up to a week to get it out trying before you start it every morning sometimes it can be a real pain!
Old 01-25-13, 09:01 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah there is a fuse that has to do with the power steering, but it's also connected to other stuff, like the speedo and radio.
Old 01-25-13, 09:25 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

It's only for the speed sensor part of the steering so it would not really have anything to do with his current problem.

All it does is make the steering change stiffness at higher speeds.
Old 01-26-13, 09:50 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

It may take up to a week to get it out trying before you start it every morning sometimes it can be a real pain!
Day 1 complete

Originally Posted by pieisgude
yeah there is a fuse that has to do with the power steering, but it's also connected to other stuff, like the speedo and radio.
Thanks for trying to help man

It's only for the speed sensor part of the steering so it would not really have anything to do with his current problem.

All it does is make the steering change stiffness at higher speeds.
OK, good to know. Thank you... Hopefully I can get this working soon. Kind of embarassing driving it like this

Quick Reply: What happened to my power steering?