Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What happened to my power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 07:03 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I ended up replacing the rack this weekend. I checked the rack filter on my old one and it was pretty clogged up. Anyway, my tie rod knuckles weren't in the best of shape, so I am glad I did the swap. Steering sounds a lot better - but it is still making noises. Also, I noticed the steering wheel does not return to straight after a turn when I release it like it used to. Right now I am deciding between sticking with the noise, or spending the money on a replacement PS pump...
Old 04-06-13, 08:02 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Well, I ended up replacing the rack this weekend. I checked the rack filter on my old one and it was pretty clogged up. Anyway, my tie rod knuckles weren't in the best of shape, so I am glad I did the swap. Steering sounds a lot better - but it is still making noises. Also, I noticed the steering wheel does not return to straight after a turn when I release it like it used to. Right now I am deciding between sticking with the noise, or spending the money on a replacement PS pump...
Quick question, I'm in the same boat as you perhaps the other side of the spectrum. I just replaced my power steering pump, and I still don't have power steering. I'm thinking it's the rack and pinion now.

Do you think it's better to just buy a new rack and pinion? What about tie end rods? I don't mind buying the stuff I just want to fix the damn problem and fast.
Old 04-07-13, 07:36 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
Quick question, I'm in the same boat as you perhaps the other side of the spectrum. I just replaced my power steering pump, and I still don't have power steering. I'm thinking it's the rack and pinion now.

Do you think it's better to just buy a new rack and pinion? What about tie end rods? I don't mind buying the stuff I just want to fix the damn problem and fast.
I bought mine used from Gazi. While it took much to long to receive (couple of days less than a month), it came with everything I needed including the tie rod ends. If you can't risk having it take that long, maybe get one from an auto store. I'd say OEM (even with discounts) would be restrictively expensive. Let me know if you have any questions.