Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stop Tech rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 08:00 AM
Spir0chete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop Tech rotors?

Guys its time for me to change my rotors. I have 60k miles and there is lip from the wear on the rotors now as well. I am looking to upgrade the performance of my brakes as well. I am thinking about geting the StopTech drilled rotors. ImportTuner.com has them for 205$ Front 165$ rear. Does this sound like a good investment for the cost. Of course I will also replace the pads as well with some pads that dont produce as much dust.
Also are stainless steel brake lines even worth purchasing?
My car is pretty much stock except for an intake and I will be installing exhaust, sway bars and springs in the future. I know I dont need performance brakes but what can I say the look cool.
Old 01-18-13, 10:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spir0chete
Guys its time for me to change my rotors. I have 60k miles and there is lip from the wear on the rotors now as well. I am looking to upgrade the performance of my brakes as well. I am thinking about geting the StopTech drilled rotors. ImportTuner.com has them for 205$ Front 165$ rear. Does this sound like a good investment for the cost. Of course I will also replace the pads as well with some pads that dont produce as much dust.
Also are stainless steel brake lines even worth purchasing?
My car is pretty much stock except for an intake and I will be installing exhaust, sway bars and springs in the future. I know I dont need performance brakes but what can I say the look cool.

Drilled brakes are a downgrade. They eat pads 25% faster and remove metal from something intended to operate as a heat sink. They won't stop the car any shorter either, since brake upgrades can't do that. Plus, if you ever DO use them hard you risk cracking the rotors due to the holes in them.

If you simply must do something to your rotors for looks, and you don't care about the 25% faster pad wear, go with slotted rotors. Otherwise stick to blanks.

And no, SS lines won't do anything either performance wise, the stock lines are already kevlar.
Old 01-18-13, 12:19 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Have you read it?
http://www.ehow.com/about_5329445_sl...ed-rotors.html
Old 01-18-13, 05:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebeast
I have now.

And my recommendation to others is to not do so, because it contains a lot of incorrect information.

For example:

Originally Posted by Really bad ehow article
Both slotted and drilled rotors result in a shorter stopping distance. Aftermarket rotors are less prone to failure than stock rotors and carry their own warranties.
Not only is this not true, it's physically impossible for changing your rotors to stop shorter than the stock ones do on any modern car.

Likewise, drilled rotors are far more prone to failure- which is why nobody uses them in NASCAR and other serious racing. They use slotted rotors (but not because they stop shorter).

There's half a dozen similar errors in the story

If you'd like to read something written by an actual well known brake engineer, who has literally written books on the subject, and teaches SAE master classes as well as designing brake systems for Ford, Stoptech, and others, I highly recommend this:

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

It explains in detail what each part of a braking system does, and what it does not do.

It also explains what upgrading each part can, and can not do for you.

It covers rotors on page 4. (be sure to read the side bar on drilled/slotted).

In short though, if you want to stop shorter, bigger/better brakes won't help. Better tires will though.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.
Old 01-18-13, 08:08 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Since I was in your shoes earlier in 2012, this is what I did :

Centric (PowerSlot) slotted front/rear rotors
StopTech Street pads up front
Axxis Ultimate pads in the rear (fronts pads are on national back-order)
Stick with OEM brake lines

But if you need LOW dust, look at the OEM low-dust pads.

Places I ended up getting my brake components with online coupon codes :

buybrakes.com
importrp.com
Old 01-19-13, 12:17 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have stoptech rotors ... They work great and they look cool (Note - not used for tracking or anything, just DD)... this is a pic with my old wheels

Name:  978524F9-6512-4C00-9822-73E7FF1BBE1A-4676-000004E3E925EBFD.jpg
Views: 3068
Size:  268.0 KB
Old 01-22-13, 12:34 PM
Spir0chete
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to go with the slotted rotors. Very informative articles.
Old 04-27-13, 07:48 PM
99amgc43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I have stoptech rotors ... They work great and they look cool (Note - not used for tracking or anything, just DD)... this is a pic with my old wheels

I just installed these rotors on my is, now it has a weird noise when I brake, sounds like a rattle snake or something lol. Do your rotor make a weird noise when braking?
Old 04-28-13, 07:33 AM
tonnetje
Driver School Candidate

i have the stoptech slotted rotors and Akebono pro-act brakepads
no dust anymore and better brake feel/deceleration
for me it was the best choice

Last edited by tonnetje; 04-28-13 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 09:33 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also running StopTech Cryo Slotted Rotors with StopTech Pads. Held up great over the last 4 track days and perform much better than the stock setup. With the stock setup I was getting really bad brake fade after about 10 min on the track. New setup shows minimal fade over a normal 20 min run but I did also change to a racing brake fluid at the time of the swap. Really no difference on the street though. If the car never saw the track I would just be running normal blanks as the slotted rotors really eat the pads quickly.
Old 09-14-16, 07:54 AM
StasGS4
Driver

Any long-term feedback on stop tech rotors, drilled or slotted? Kind of curious to see if these warp, crack or fail long term.
Old 09-14-16, 10:24 AM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StasGS4
Any long-term feedback on stop tech rotors, drilled or slotted? Kind of curious to see if these warp, crack or fail long term.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...e-upgrade.html
if you are looking for long life time, blank rotors are probably going to be your best bet.
Old 09-14-16, 12:52 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I've been on the same set of PowerSlot slotted rotors for around 50k miles I'd guess. Not a single issue to speak of.
Old 10-22-16, 07:00 PM
ezbmr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had a problem with cross-drilled rotors. As for pads, I haven't found a set of ceramics that felt as confident as semi-metalics, but I love not dusting.
Old 11-08-16, 10:52 AM
Hipp
Driver School Candidate

PowerSlot slotted front and rears for me as well. with the EBC red compound brake pads (low dust, extremely high stopping power) I DD my car but if I would track it, I'd swap brake fluid and I know these brakes would work great for track, "IF" I wanted anything more for track, I'd swap my EBC red compounds for the EBC yellow compounds and be set.