Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Upgrading SC400 front end/suspension to Supra TT spec. What is logical progression?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 03:24 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Upgrading SC400 front end/suspension to Supra TT spec. What is logical progression?

Hi,
What is the logical progression of events if I want to put 1500$ or so into my 95 sc400 front end and suspension. I am going to start with the one real problem I have, high speed steering.
My car feels nice and tight steering wise until I hit higher speeds. At higher speeds, It understeers pretty seriously. It bites into a turn fine, but halfway through, you have to add more cut to keep the desired trajectory.
I want to replace everything (on the front end) that is inexpensive to replace (hoping to fix the understeer problem simultaneously) and have one guy just do a bunch of stuff at once. I need to know what i should replace if I have 1000$ to 1500$ to spend on my suspension and front end.
I have a budget for wheels and rubber and I'm working on those now.

Whatever is wrong with the steering will get worse quickly bumping around on NYC horrible roads so I am going to choose Supra TT shocks and springs next. I hope to get that done for 750$ to 1000$ leaving me with 500$ to 750$ to spend on other front end parts.

Next I thought Polyurethane Bushings. The steering rack was just replaced, but not at a shop so I don't know if they did the steering rack bushings. I figured unless they look GREAT, i'd replace those and the control arm bushings (and the ball joints, just because I am paranoid about them unless I know the age).
Should I replace the control arms themselves or the anti sway bars with Supra TT parts?

If my questions sound nuts, it is because of my attempt at researching this stuff first. Now I know enough to be FURTHER confused.
What would you experts do?

I am not married to any of this. What is most logical?
Old 12-26-12, 06:17 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your shocks aren't leaking then you're good for a while. The only way to replace the ball joints is getting new control arms. You can get some good deals on supra suspension with upgraded socks ($500 or so). Good luck
Old 12-27-12, 08:31 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steering rack bushings,prothan upper and lower control arm kit for the front and rear before you dump cash in to new control arms just verify the front ball joint still has a littl life left in it.

Figure almost all of the bushings on the car are either shot or very close to it as they do not hold up very well and were way to soft to begin with also the trans mount is most likely bad as well which it will usually not seperate but it will compress putting a bit of strain on the u joints.
Old 12-29-12, 03:37 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Understeer problem solved! (Still doing upgrades)

THE UNDERSTEERING PROBLEM IS GONE!

It was a loose bolt on the steering rack!

I am still doing the upgrades for sure but with a bit less urgency now.

xspsi6,
Thank You! That is just what I intend to do!!!!
All bushings next!