Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Power steering help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 11:17 AM
SpadedOne
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering help!!!

Hi guys! I know, search, search, search!!!! Here's the deal, I'm at work on my computer and my home computer currently has a virus. So, I can't take the time to search. Just looking for some straight forward answers.

Woke up today, and no power steering. Fluid all over the place. Just quickly visually inspected and couldn't find the leak. So, I filled it up about half way to see if I could find the leak. No luck. I know these cars are known for the high pressure hose going out. Can someone direct me to where it's at or where else I should be looking? Pictures if possible. Also, where is the best place to get a cheap OEM replacement?

FYI- The fluid was yellowish. I know they use Dextron II or III, so maybe the previous owner used the wrong stuff. It has had the occasionally tight spot in the steering since I got it, just never had the time to check it out. Now I have to cuz I cannot afford an altenator too.

Also, this is my only vehicle. Can I drive it as long as I don't refill it and drive it without PS, is it OK to drive for a week or so until I can fix it without it hurting the altenator any further than it has?

Last edited by SpadedOne; 12-26-12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-26-12, 11:26 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Most likely culprit is your high pressure hose going out. The OEM replacement is expensive but you could try ebay. I lucked out and got one for $450 (yes, that was a good deal for a new one) but often they are around $660-$750. Driftmotion sells a far cheaper but simplistic replacement braided hose. I can't speak for that one but others have used it with success.

The low pressure return line is much cheaper to replace. I'd just got OEM for that.

Your pump or your rack could have a leak as well but if you suddenly lost all your fluid... it's probably your high pressure line going out. Color should be reddish for the PS fluid. I can't say what the yellow color means.
Old 12-26-12, 11:33 AM
jono
Driver School Candidate

or you can get a hydraulic hose maker to make a new high pressure line. its really not too expensive
Old 12-26-12, 11:33 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your's a 300 or 400? If it's a 400 and your idea of a "cheap OEM replacement" is around $400+ you're in good shape! A 300 is far easier (and cheaper) to replace...
The yellow color is possibly the ATF mixed with water on the ground....
Old 12-26-12, 11:45 AM
SpadedOne
Rookie

Originally Posted by Murco
Is your's a 300 or 400? If it's a 400 and your idea of a "cheap OEM replacement" is around $400+ you're in good shape! A 300 is far easier (and cheaper) to replace...
The yellow color is possibly the ATF mixed with water on the ground....
My car is a 95 SC400. There was no fluid on the ground, it was all in the undercarage protector. The fluid was yellow inside the pump. It was spewing out when I tried to fill it and check for the leak. Does anyone have a picture of the High Pressure hose on a SC4?

Also, can someone tell me if it will cause any problems to drive as is without PS fluid for the next week or so till I can fix it.
Old 12-26-12, 12:16 PM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpadedOne
My car is a 95 SC400. There was no fluid on the ground, it was all in the undercarage protector. The fluid was yellow inside the pump. It was spewing out when I tried to fill it and check for the leak. Does anyone have a picture of the High Pressure hose on a SC4?

Also, can someone tell me if it will cause any problems to drive as is without PS fluid for the next week or so till I can fix it.
The yellow stuff in the pump is unusual, sounds like it may have had normal P/S fluid in it instead of ATF. You can drive without power steering but you'll want to find a way to bypass the pump as it will destroy itself without fluid in it to lubricate the vanes. The pressure hose runs from the passenger side of the pump down to the rack. It has a metal connector for the pump, about 8" long, then it becomes a larger diameter high-pressure hose feeding into a hard-line with a kink in it, to another pressure hose going into the rack.
Here is my new high pressure line from the pump mount - it's shorter than your's as my shop put a threaded nut on the end that normally crimpson the OEM hose...

Old 12-26-12, 02:21 PM
ttsukamoto
Rookie

I had a hydraulic shop rebuild my high pressure P/S hose using a new hose and reusing the factory fittings. Cost $75. Works perfect.
Old 12-26-12, 03:30 PM
inkredible
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an sc300. I replaced my high pressure hose with an mk4 high pressure hose from autozone.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-autozone.html

When I replaced my high pressure hose, a few months later the pump it self started leaking really badly so I ended up having to replace the pump also.
Old 12-27-12, 07:22 PM
jfillis
Driver School Candidate

Default problem after replacing high pressure hose

I have a 96 ls400. I replaced the high pressure hose today. No leaks but though i have perfect power steering when I am driving - not just easier turning because I'm moving but perfect power steering, I have no power steering when I am sitting still or have my foot on the brake. Is there a sensor that tells the pump how much pressure to put out?
Old 12-29-12, 07:58 PM
SpadedOne
Rookie

The snap ring on the oil seat popped off and the spring was holding it against the head. I took apart the pump and rebuilt it. I made used/made a spacer to fit against the seal and head so it should be good now. Part of the snap ring grove was rounded off so that's why it popped off in the first place. All the hoses were fine. Lucked out big time! Under $50 fix.

Last edited by SpadedOne; 12-29-12 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-29-12, 08:04 PM
SpadedOne
Rookie

This is the link I used to rebuild it.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/pspumprebuild.html

Last edited by SpadedOne; 12-29-12 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 11:14 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by jono
or you can get a hydraulic hose maker to make a new high pressure line. its really not too expensive
^^ Or this. I looked into this as well and you can just take your OEM blown high pressure line to a specialty shop and have them rebuild the lines. It will work just the same as new. Three ways to skin the power steering cat.