Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

***I've got NEW SWAY BARS***

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 03:32 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***I've got NEW SWAY BARS***

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted - probably due to the arrival of my first newborn son...

Anyway, I just bought some sway bars from a new Lexus Aftermarket Products Company called Daizen through one of their distributers, TMEngineering. Apparently, from what Todd tells me this company is really serious about breaking into the Lexus aftermarket parts market by providing high quality, well thought out designs. For me, since Todd himself has such impeccable tastes I know the companies he refers me to should probably be the same. So I decided to give this product a shot and have Todd put them on for me. Here is a review - keep in mind I had the TRD Sways before so I can make a direct comparison...

First of all, the Daizen sways are a silver powdercoat finish which I find very nice and clean.

The rear sway bar is 3-way adjustable so that you can dial-in the exact amount of over/under steer you like! This is a definite plus over the TRD sway bars because they are NOT adjustable.

The front bar is hollow and is lighter than the REALLY HEAVY TRD front bar which reduces unsprung weight.

My bars also came with Urethane Bushings compared to the standard rubber bushings that TRD provides.

Here is my comparison with TRD with regards to performance:
The car turns and stops better than the TRD sways probably due to the difference in unsprung weight of the bars. Apparently, they really did their homework in tuning the front sway bar with the rear because handling is as good as with the TRD bars. The ride is better than with the TRD sways and, in fact, almost close to stock especially during straight driving. Turning stiffness/flatness is virtually identical to the TRD sways.

I really like the 3-way adjustable rear sway, especially for very finnicky drivers who want their handling dialed in a little more custom to suit their own tastes!

The price is competitive with the TRD sways.

That's my review. I am really excited because it looks like there are more things to come with this company and judging from the fit, finish, and performance of the sway bars, Daizen looks like a very legitimate Lexus aftermarket company which is great news for us because the market is so thin anyway!

Brent
Old 12-05-02, 04:04 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arghhhhh, if I had not JUST purchased and installed the TRD sways I would have liked to give these a try. Nice review.
Old 12-05-02, 04:07 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm planing to get sway bars..
Old 12-05-02, 05:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes todd talked to me about the new sways as well. nice review, i guess it must be good
Old 12-05-02, 05:25 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow! Great write-up. Finally an alternative.
Old 12-05-02, 05:49 PM
shftup
Intermediate

do they have a website.....so we can check it out. Can u post some pics....thanx
Old 12-05-02, 06:32 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Here you go....
Old 12-05-02, 08:15 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Hey Brent,

How's it going? I haven't posted awhile myself.

Do you have any background on Daizen? Sounds interesting. Curious what else they have on the drawing board.

I wonder what is the weight difference. Did you happen to weigh the bar?

Good luck with your new kid.
Old 12-05-02, 11:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by QBranchCars
Hey Brent,

How's it going? I haven't posted awhile myself.

Do you have any background on Daizen? Sounds interesting. Curious what else they have on the drawing board.

I wonder what is the weight difference. Did you happen to weigh the bar?

Good luck with your new kid.
the stock front bar is 6lb, the trd front is like around 20, and i believe the daizen front is around 10?
Old 12-06-02, 12:03 AM
dipstick
Pole Position

Brent, Daizen told me that their bars are "15% less stiff than the TRD bars" which for me would be a plus. You said that the Daizen ride is close to stock going straight, and stiffness comparable to TRD on turns. What about harshness on turns or rough/uneven road surfaces? I also got the impression from the detailed and thorough response I got to questions I emailed that this is a serious outfit. They have 6-7 distributors. I was quoted $499 + $29 (I think) for the urethane bushings. Is that what you paid or did you get a better price? Thanks for the review!
Old 12-06-02, 12:51 AM
shftup
Intermediate

Default mrsypher

Thanx for the website details, very much appreciated.
Old 12-06-02, 01:00 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: mrsypher

Originally posted by shftup
Thanx for the website details, very much appreciated.
Anytime....
Old 12-06-02, 01:05 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Default Re: ***I've got NEW SWAY BARS***

Originally posted by BLiu
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted - probably due to the arrival of my first newborn son...

Here is my comparison with TRD with regards to performance:
The car turns and stops better than the TRD sways probably due to the difference in unsprung weight of the bars. Apparently, they really did their homework in tuning the front sway bar with the rear because handling is as good as with the TRD bars. The ride is better than with the TRD sways and, in fact, almost close to stock especially during straight driving. Turning stiffness/flatness is virtually identical to the TRD sways.

Brent
First things first: Bliu, congratulations on the birth of your son!

I have a set of TRD sways, and I am intrigued by your comments on the Daizen set... I can't understand how the two diametrically opposed qualities can fit in the same bar.

You say that the turning and handling is virtually identical to the TRD sways. That would seem to imply that the whole thing (bars + bushings) is about as stiff as the TRD units.

On the other hand, you say that the ride on rough stuff is much better and closer to stock. That would seem to imply that the Daizen units are considerably less stiff than the TRDs.

I just don't see how those two could live together in the same set of bars. Either you are talking about a different measure of performance than body roll when you talk about handling, or you're not being totally objective.

May be, you could elaborate on that a bit?...

Just for the record: I don't have the "sway bar" envy and I am not attacking your personal point of view. I am just trying to reconcile these seemingly opposite qualities in one bar. When I got my sways, there were no alternatives, so the choice was easy and clear. Luckily, right now there is another option on the market. People that are considering getting sways will benefit from knowing what they are getting before they order it. If I was considering my sway choice, I would have been a bit confused by your review.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-02, 01:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by dipstick
Brent, Daizen told me that their bars are "15% less stiff than the TRD bars" which for me would be a plus. You said that the Daizen ride is close to stock going straight, and stiffness comparable to TRD on turns. What about harshness on turns or rough/uneven road surfaces? I also got the impression from the detailed and thorough response I got to questions I emailed that this is a serious outfit. They have 6-7 distributors. I was quoted $499 + $29 (I think) for the urethane bushings. Is that what you paid or did you get a better price? Thanks for the review!
yes, the daizen bar is less stiff, BUT it has the urethane bushing that actually HELPS a lot
Old 12-06-02, 01:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: ***I've got NEW SWAY BARS***

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein

First things first: Bliu, congratulations on the birth of your son!

I have a set of TRD sways, and I am intrigued by your comments on the Daizen set... I can't understand how the two diametrically opposed qualities can fit in the same bar.

You say that the turning and handling is virtually identical to the TRD sways. That would seem to imply that the whole thing (bars + bushings) is about as stiff as the TRD units.

On the other hand, you say that the ride on rough stuff is much better and closer to stock. That would seem to imply that the Daizen units are considerably less stiff than the TRDs.

I just don't see how those two could live together in the same set of bars. Either you are talking about a different measure of performance than body roll when you talk about handling, or you're not being totally objective.

May be, you could elaborate on that a bit?...

Just for the record: I don't have the "sway bar" envy and I am not attacking your personal point of view. I am just trying to reconcile these seemingly opposite qualities in one bar. When I got my sways, there were no alternatives, so the choice was easy and clear. Luckily, right now there is another option on the market. People that are considering getting sways will benefit from knowing what they are getting before they order it. If I was considering my sway choice, I would have been a bit confused by your review.

Thanks in advance.
well i actually talked to todd a lot when we were install the sways, here's what i think.

the trd affects the ride so much coz' the bar ITSELF is too stiff. it pretty much doesn't allow ANY flex between the left and right wheel at all, that's why you feel the harshness on the ride.

with the daizen, the bar itseld is less stiff, but the bushing is a lot harder which helps when you turn. however during normal unecen road drive, since the bar is less stiff, it allows a bit more flex between the left and right. taht's why the ride quality is better

any other input?

Quick Reply: ***I've got NEW SWAY BARS***