Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dropping my 250, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 03:51 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping my 250, suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I want to drop my is250 down from its original stock position, and was wondering what was needed to do it. New shocks/coils/ect..? how much did it cost, and is it easy to DIY?

I want there to be a slight drop, not having my wheels get lost under the wheel well, just the typical drop to make it look sleek.

also, im assuming the forum site got attacked by a virus or something? any word on that?

thanks guys.
Old 11-11-12, 04:33 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

There's a whole thread about suspension on here, I believe it's sticky'd too. Also I just posted a thread about some really cheap M2 lowering springs if you want to guinea pig xD

Yea the forums got hacked or something last week :/
Old 11-11-12, 06:13 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awd get ready for shakes if you go too low..
Old 11-12-12, 07:16 AM
azndriver
Driver

Slgiht drop, well known name brand and quality...

Either

Hotchkis
Tein H. Tech
Tanabe
H&R
Old 11-12-12, 05:07 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

yes, im looking for a slight drop, maybe have the wheel 1 inch from the well, i would say the typical drop. is there a difference in the name between a heavy drop and the one i am talking about? would it be racing vs performance springs?
Old 11-12-12, 05:09 PM
CSMphoto
Driver School Candidate

1"? Bags or Coilovers. With your springs you'll be looking at 200-400 for springs then another 400 just to swap them in from a shop...if you do it yourself then get coilovers. They're much more adjustable, you can save your old stock suspension, sell it for more $$ and it's just as comfortable.
Old 11-12-12, 05:45 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMphoto
1"? Bags or Coilovers. With your springs you'll be looking at 200-400 for springs then another 400 just to swap them in from a shop...if you do it yourself then get coilovers. They're much more adjustable, you can save your old stock suspension, sell it for more $$ and it's just as comfortable.
$400 to install? Lol you either got ripped off or you have no experience with getting springs installed.
Old 11-12-12, 05:52 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Downtuned
yes, im looking for a slight drop, maybe have the wheel 1 inch from the well, i would say the typical drop. is there a difference in the name between a heavy drop and the one i am talking about? would it be racing vs performance springs?
There's no "racing springs"....if you're going to track then get coils

"Slight" has different meaning to different people. Someone may think a 2" drop is "slight" and others may think 2" is too much.

Let's start off by saying if your IS250 is RWD or AWD because that can change the whole ball game. As well how old is your car because your struts may be pretty worn out in which case it wouldn't be ideal to get springs.

For you to get a decent idea, Tein H.Tech and FSport has the least drop and IMHO makes not much difference in how the car looks. I'd personally go with Eibach or H&R for more even drop. If you want more "aggressive" stance (more drop front, less rear) then Tein S.Tech would be your choice but get the rubbers because they're quiet soft. There's other springs like Megan and Hotchkis but haven't met many people running them. On this forum alone, H&R is probably the most popular springs. Can't go wrong with German engineering No springs for the 2IS will completely kill the wheel gap, so don't worry about your wheels being "tucked". Closest to that would be a RWD 2IS on Road Magnet springs.

Coils are definitely easier to install because a whole big time-consuming step is skipped (taking the springs off the strut and putting on the new springs), as well the overall size is smaller than a spring/shock combo so easier to maneuver. And who knows, maybe in few months you will be tired of your stance and want to lower a bit more, then coils would be your choice

Last edited by reyoasian; 11-12-12 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 06:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Mild drop w/o a lot of fuss would be the F-springs. I love the look of mine along, with the freedom they afford when driving.
Old 11-13-12, 10:26 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reyoasian
There's no "racing springs"....if you're going to track then get coils

"Slight" has different meaning to different people. Someone may think a 2" drop is "slight" and others may think 2" is too much.

Let's start off by saying if your IS250 is RWD or AWD because that can change the whole ball game. As well how old is your car because your struts may be pretty worn out in which case it wouldn't be ideal to get springs.

For you to get a decent idea, Tein H.Tech and FSport has the least drop and IMHO makes not much difference in how the car looks. I'd personally go with Eibach or H&R for more even drop. If you want more "aggressive" stance (more drop front, less rear) then Tein S.Tech would be your choice but get the rubbers because they're quiet soft. There's other springs like Megan and Hotchkis but haven't met many people running them. On this forum alone, H&R is probably the most popular springs. Can't go wrong with German engineering No springs for the 2IS will completely kill the wheel gap, so don't worry about your wheels being "tucked". Closest to that would be a RWD 2IS on Road Magnet springs.

Coils are definitely easier to install because a whole big time-consuming step is skipped (taking the springs off the strut and putting on the new springs), as well the overall size is smaller than a spring/shock combo so easier to maneuver. And who knows, maybe in few months you will be tired of your stance and want to lower a bit more, then coils would be your choice

my 2006 is250 is RWD if that helps. So i should just do coilovers and not springs?

my suspension feels great right now, i love how smooth it rides over bumps.

Ok, yes, i would want to start with just a gradual drop, i want to keep it classy but, my front 2 tires seem to be raised quite high, i dont want to be able to fit all my fingers in the wheel gap, maybe drop it to 3 finger width or whatnot.

yes i would like to change out as few parts as possible, and go the less expensive route (which sounds like i should change just the coilovers and not the springs themselves if that is what you are suggesting).

hopefully that info helps to narrow down my search of what I am needing.

I wont be racing my car, just doing this for cosmetic reasons. what route did you all take to drop your car at a decent price?? my buddy did a slight (2-3 inch drop) on his bmw, looks real nice, and he is convinced he can help me DIY as he did his.
Old 11-13-12, 10:47 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

go for the megan ez streets, they cost about 600 and ride quite nice for the price, they will feel better than any springs imo, or if you want to spend a little xtra get the BC coils which have better shock bodies and are even more comfortable, these cost around 1k
Old 11-13-12, 02:37 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Downtuned
my 2006 is250 is RWD if that helps. So i should just do coilovers and not springs?

my suspension feels great right now, i love how smooth it rides over bumps.

Ok, yes, i would want to start with just a gradual drop, i want to keep it classy but, my front 2 tires seem to be raised quite high, i dont want to be able to fit all my fingers in the wheel gap, maybe drop it to 3 finger width or whatnot.

yes i would like to change out as few parts as possible, and go the less expensive route (which sounds like i should change just the coilovers and not the springs themselves if that is what you are suggesting).

hopefully that info helps to narrow down my search of what I am needing.

I wont be racing my car, just doing this for cosmetic reasons. what route did you all take to drop your car at a decent price?? my buddy did a slight (2-3 inch drop) on his bmw, looks real nice, and he is convinced he can help me DIY as he did his.
Number wise, springs are cheaper.......but price-performance is lower compared to say Megan EZ which are like cheapest coils for our cars and are pretty good in review...I'm planning to get those, if not BC

For mine, I could fit my whole hand (4-finger, no thumb) into the nasty AWD wheel gap
I lowered on H&R springs since my car was fairly new and shocks still in good shape
Now I can fit 2-finger in front, and 1.5-finger in wheel
Planning to get coils to maybe 0-0.5 finger gap all around (not tucked, just no gap)

BMW are lower to begin with, so 2-3" drop will make it look slam (3" is quiet a lot for springs if that's what he used). The lowest drop springs for our cars is Road Magnet (2" all around)

Every car is different, 2IS are a little more difficult and PITA to do.
But coilover route definitely is better choice, I didn't do it because just like you I wanted to "slightly" mod my car, as well didn't want to spend that much money on lowering.........but bro let me save you the hassel, it's deep water once you pop you can't stop you will just want to dive in deeper and deeper
Old 11-13-12, 05:34 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
For you to get a decent idea, Tein H.Tech and FSport has the least drop and IMHO makes not much difference in how the car looks. I'd personally go with Eibach or H&R for more even drop.

This always cracks me up when I see people saying how much more Eibach's drop than F-Sport.

NEWS FLASH: F-Sport springs are made by Eibach for Lexus.. and they both drop your car the exact same amount.

F-Sport springs are Eibachs with blue paint on them.
Old 11-13-12, 07:03 PM
LexStylez
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsmacks
This always cracks me up when I see people saying how much more Eibach's drop than F-Sport.

NEWS FLASH: F-Sport springs are made by Eibach for Lexus.. and they both drop your car the exact same amount.

F-Sport springs are Eibachs with blue paint on them.
I believe the Eibach IS250 springs drops the front 1.4" and the rear 1.0".
Old 11-13-12, 07:06 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexStylez
I believe the Eibach IS250 springs drops the front 1.4" and the rear 1.0".
Nope. Both drop them 1" in the front and .8" in the rear. Check the website.

They're the exact.. same.. springs..

Eibach: Attachment 501446

F-Sport: Attachment 501447

Quick Reply: Dropping my 250, suggestions?