Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

my review of the trd sways

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 04:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default my review of the trd sways

so a few of you guys know that i got the trd sways. installed it this past week and after some driving it's time to give out some review.

before i got the sways i always wondered if 500 bucks is worth it. well let me tell you it is. it's very worth it. my car is really like planted to the ground now, very solid and pretty much doesn't roll at all anymore.

for the record, prior to the installation of the sways, i already have the trd stb, trd flcb, tein ha, so the ride was pretty stiff and harsh already.

after installing the sways, i could immediately tell that the ride is stiffer. i could feel the car being more solid (seems like the body are well held together), but on slightly uneven road i was already albe to tell the ride quality difference.

i have heard so many reviews saying that the sways cause the rear to spin out more easily, so i decided to do it safe and take it easy. on the first couple of turns, and fast change lane on freeway, i was amazed already. the car stayed flat, hardly really moved, and no roll. it's planted on the ground.

so after i got home and got some clear ground for more testing, i quickly made some faster turns and man, does the rear come loose. the car still doesn't move, but when i turn fast, specially when i turn my steering wheel too fast, the rear goes out very easily.

turning response is also a lot faster, now once i turn some it turns immediately, no hesitation. it's a good thing i am sure but just that i have to re-learn turning to some extend

i guess the next thing for me is the rear brace. it would be interesting to see how it helps to hold the rear end together.

oh, and as usual, todd at tm engineering installed it for me and he got some very nice service. if you got something to install in south cali, give him a visit his sn here is doublewhoosh
Old 12-03-02, 01:17 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have been having fun. Your girlfriend should have a blast driving it for the next month...

Now that I have had my sways on for a couple of months and have started the "re-learning" process with regards to high-G turns, I have found that I can now control my turns with the gas pedal as much as the steering wheel. Prior to the sways, the GS had too much body roll and "stick" to predictably use the gas to control direction.

In addition, it's easy to force the rear to swing free with a quick jab of the brakes and/or sharp turn of the wheel. Unfortunately, I also discovered it's easy for this to occur during unintended downshifts [which is why I wish the tranny would stay in the darn gear it was placed!!!].
Old 12-03-02, 04:21 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Henry,
Condgrads on the new mod. I always told you that this mod was worth it's weight in gold!
Old 12-03-02, 05:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Henry,
Condgrads on the new mod. I always told you that this mod was worth it's weight in gold!
yeah i know, finally now i have it and man do i love it. it's unreal. even my gf she asked me yesterday why the car is not "moving" (girls' term) when turning
Old 12-03-02, 05:52 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Henry,
They are good, but they are not that good...

For their weight in gold you can buy another Lexus...

Titanium, may be
Old 12-03-02, 07:23 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

thanks for the info, rominl. definitely next on a long waiting list. care to divulge install cost?
Old 12-03-02, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bravo261
thanks for the info, rominl. definitely next on a long waiting list. care to divulge install cost?
you don't have to wait now, steeve has a lot in stock. just call and they are yours

i installed them for 100 bucks, which is the running installation price in LA. up here in bay area it's more expensive. all about supply and demand
Old 12-03-02, 10:22 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

gotta wait because i'm lazily job-hunting. but the first few checks may as well be deposited to steve.

another $100 install? things like that get much pricier up here in OREGON!!! ughhhhh

thanks again though
Old 12-03-02, 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bravo261
gotta wait because i'm lazily job-hunting. but the first few checks may as well be deposited to steve.

another $100 install? things like that get much pricier up here in OREGON!!! ughhhhh

thanks again though
do it yourself
Old 12-04-02, 01:00 AM
dipstick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride harshness with TRD sways

I think on smooth roads going straight, if you use the stock rubber bushings, the ride should be about the same. The place where it changes things is in "compliance" or single wheel deflection. With softer sway bars, if one wheel hits a bump or pothole, it goes up or down more independently and the sway bar only moderately moves the other wheel up or down causing you to feel the bump or dip in the car body. With stiff sways, both wheels tend to go up and down together, interpreted as more "harshness."

About the rear end coming loose when cornering, I think it is that with a compliant (softer) suspension, body lean is a visceral signal that you are approaching the limit of traction giving you more time to react. With the TRD bars, nearly no lean, so you have less warning of impending skid. It probably actually lets go later because you are maintaining more traction on the inside tires due to less body roll.

Does this make sense?
Old 12-04-02, 01:22 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Default Re: ride harshness with TRD sways

Originally posted by dipstick
About the rear end coming loose when cornering, I think it is that with a compliant (softer) suspension, body lean is a visceral signal that you are approaching the limit of traction giving you more time to react. With the TRD bars, nearly no lean, so you have less warning of impending skid. It probably actually lets go later because you are maintaining more traction on the inside tires due to less body roll.

Does this make sense?
Yes. But less body roll does not automatically mean more traction and vice-versa. Without chassis tuning, I'm not convinced that simply bolting on the TRD sways [my car, my setup] have increased the absolute level of traction. But they have increased the level of control, or at least my ability to control the car. I grew up driving on ice and snow, so having the tail swing out is not a big deal for me.