Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear brake pins completely LOOSE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 07:46 PM
S2KIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake pins completely LOOSE!!!

so we just bought the used 07 is250 AWD earlier this summer. we noticed that it had a tiny bit of brake squeal when light we did light braking, but nothing at full brakes. i just shrugged it off.

today i was trying on some new rims and test fitting them in my garage when i noticed on the driver side rear brake, the pad holding pin was sticking out into the wheel spokes....

the whole thing could be moved in and out very easily. the bottom one could also be pulled out with just a tiny bit of a push with my finger, but still felt held in by the bottom clip.

i then realized that my caliper may be missing the entire upper clip? is there one?

i took two pictures one of the entire caliper with the pin in...am i missing a clip? and another with how i found the pin, hanging 3/4 of the way out.

the passenger side pins were also slightly loose like the bottom pin on the driver...are they supposed to be this way?

glad i could find this before something serious may have happened.

The previous owner only had the car serviced at the lexus dealership for its entire life, so i will check with them as well and see when the last brake service was done and maybe they can fix me up otherwise i will get the part myself and fix. I haven't done any brake jobs before, but i am pretty comfortable working on cars.

Old 10-10-12, 11:17 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

You're missing a clip. If you pull those pins out, you'll notice a small hole about an inch from the head. The clip goes into those holes and keeps them from sliding out like you show in your first pic. You can get those clips from your dealer, or if you want to do it yourself, it comes with the rear brake pad fit kit.
Old 10-10-12, 11:58 PM
S2KIS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by triple_c
You're missing a clip. If you pull those pins out, you'll notice a small hole about an inch from the head. The clip goes into those holes and keeps them from sliding out like you show in your first pic. You can get those clips from your dealer, or if you want to do it yourself, it comes with the rear brake pad fit kit.
yes I see the clips you are talking about from the pad change diy's. are these clips susceptible at all to just coming loose and falling out? I have a feeling whoever did the last work on them either lost the piece or forgot that it had to go back in...

I wonder if this was the culprit of the minor squealing we've heard
Old 10-11-12, 09:31 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

They shouldn't come out on their own. You need pliers and a good grip to remove them. As far as the squealing goes, whoever did the brake job may have forgotten to put brake lube on the inner shim.

Also, if you choose to buy the rear brake fit kit, I believe the locating pins and the clips have changed, and may look different than the ones shown in the rear brake diy.