Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ways to Check Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 05:52 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ways to Check Shocks

I am not sure exactly how old my shocks are. I currently have KYB Excel-G's that have been installed on the car since I purchased it 65'000 miles ago (purchased car at 110,000 miles).

I also have Eibach Springs that were installed on the car before I purchased it, I believe around the 60,000 mile mark (about 105,000 miles old). I am assuming the KYB Excel-G's were installed around this time, or shortly after but I do not have any receipts to prove this.

Basically I am wondering if there is a good way to check the condition of my shocks. I know of the bounce test, and my car does not bounce when i force either of the ends down. However, I am concerned that even if my shocks were blown, because the Eibach springs are pretty firm, the car would not bounce regardless.

Is there any other good way to test the shocks. I am concerned that the KYB Excel-G's are not a good mate for my Eibach springs. I'm not sure, but I think the Excel-G's are even softer than the GR2's by KYB.

I am looking into replacing the Excel-G's with Bilstein SP's to match the springs with firmer dampening. I just don't want to throw out the Excel G's if they still have some use.
Old 10-10-12, 10:36 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check if there are any leaks.

Main way is to take out the strut, remove the spring and see how fast the strut rebounds
Old 11-20-12, 09:54 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Check if there are any leaks.

Main way is to take out the strut, remove the spring and see how fast the strut rebounds
Exactly right... With the spring removed, you want to be checking for smooth uniform rebound of the rod.
Old 11-20-12, 09:45 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The car will feel like its constantly bouncing a little as you drive down the highway
Old 11-21-12, 08:25 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bounce Test!!
Old 11-21-12, 04:27 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i hope the OP figured this out already, but I logged in to say the "bounce test" is not a good test.

Even when the shocks are no longer very good, the car can compress once rebound and stop. This test was good for cars back in the 70s and 80s that were like boats. Those cars' threshold of acceptable jounce/rebound performance are way lower as compared to the suspension of a modern car.

On braking and acceleration, if you get what you feel is excessive dive and squat as judged by your preference, that's when you change out the shocks.

You can do a swerve or slalom manuever and check the side to side body roll, however the sway bar is another variable in this test which makes it not as good as the squat/dive testing.

Your car is still drive-able with crappy shocks, it'll just be like a boat. Change them out when YOU feel it's not absorbing shocks well anymore, not based on an arbitrary test.

Last edited by raytseng; 11-21-12 at 04:30 PM.