Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen sways.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-02, 03:27 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daizen sways.....

was looking in the jan '03 edition of car audio and electronics and noticed an ad for daizen sway bars. i remembering reading something about their bushings for the 1st gen SC. they now claim to have sway bar fitments for 1998-2003 GS's/2000-2003 IS's/1992-2000 SC's. supposedly, they have a website but it is not working. does anyone know anything about them. the rear is a 3 position attachment so to make the handling more adjustable. oh here is the website.... www.daizen-sporttuning.com .

Doc

Last edited by DrRick; 11-28-02 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-28-02, 03:33 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in the SC forum, the bushings have great reviews. maybe Todd @ tmengineering can answer your questions.
Old 11-28-02, 04:39 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in touch with them yesterday -- sent an email with questions and got a quick response with great detail, completely answered. They have about 6-7 dealer sites listed. Looks like their sways will be slightly softer than the TRD set. They say about 15%. Judging from their response and the photo, it looks like a decent product. Interested in anyone's experience with Daizen.
Old 11-28-02, 05:23 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

I was interested but I'd say they need a lower price.

I'd rather have the real deal TRD for the same price...no warranty issue either.

R

Glad to see you're still around Dr. Rick! Getting another LEX possibly?

Last edited by AgGS400; 11-28-02 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-29-02, 03:42 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Daizen sways.....

Originally posted by DrRick
was looking in the jan '03 edition of car audio and electronics and noticed an ad for daizen sway bars. i remembering reading something about their bushings for the 1st gen SC. they now claim to have sway bar fitments for 1998-2003 GS's/2000-2003 IS's/1992-2000 SC's. supposedly, they have a website but it is not working. does anyone know anything about them. the rear is a 3 position attachment so to make the handling more adjustable. oh here is the website.... www.daizen-sporttuning.com .

Doc
Hey Rick, when are you coming to Austin???
I e-mailed Todd a few months ago about the sways, heres the info he sent me....
"They'll be $499, mfg. is Daizen Sport Tuning,www.daizensporttuning.com is the website. I think they are scheduled for sometime in Oct, not too much longer!"
Old 12-01-02, 12:24 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Thought about them too...

When we were all waiting forever for the TRD sways, I was ready to jump on the Daizen sways too, but Steve G. got them in before the Daizens were available. I was concerned that the TRDs may be too harsh.

No way!

Put the TRDs on and they are exactly what I was looking for. There is still some body roll, but I would be more concerned if the side support on the GS seats were better. With these seats, stiff is fine.

Haven't been in a car with Daizen's on it, but if they are not as dramatic, they better be cheaper than even up like they are today for them to sell any IMHO.

NudderGS400
Old 12-01-02, 02:09 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What's up Doc!!!

The overall stiffness is pretty much the same as the TRDs, but without any significant change in ride quality. The adjustable rear is also something that TRD doesn't even offer, which anyone who is truly in tune with the way their car handles, would greatly appreciate.

The equivalent stiffness without the accompanying increase in ride harshness comes from the fact that these bars come with urethane bushings (rather than stock rubber like the TRD), which account for a good 20-25% increase in stiffness with any bar.

Also note that maximum stiffness in any suspension component is NOT good, true handling cars (including race cars) have very compliant suspensions, which allow them to keep proper loading and contact with the road even when hitting dips, bumps, etc. For you street warriors, you wouldn't know a lot about this, but anyone who has been at a real race track in a prepped car knows that if your car is too stiff or bottoms out on the shocks, it will spin you right off the track in no time.

Another drawback to overstiff components is the fact that they damage other components due to noncompliance. I know that a lot of TRD-equipped people here have been breaking their sway bar links, which should be evidence enough. Not to say that the TRD are bad, but I think they are probably geared more towards a lightened, track-only car. The degradation of the ride quality is another clue that they may actually be slightly too stiff for normal street use.

As far as price, if you can't afford them, nobody is forcing you to buy them. Comparing price to TRD? There's no point, TRD is not the "real deal" by any means. Nor are they any type of reference product, they are simply another product on the market that has to compete with everyone else. I think in the coming months this brand should prove itself in value, function and quality. I have no doubt about this.

GS buyers are normally not concerned with price anyways, they just want a quality product at a fair price and do not worry about a dollar here or a dollar there. This is why we all have a Lexus in the first place!!!

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 12-01-02, 04:30 AM
thwang99
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question about ride quality

Originally posted by DoubleWhoosh
What's up Doc!!!

The overall stiffness is pretty much the same as the TRDs, but without any significant change in ride quality. The adjustable rear is also something that TRD doesn't even offer, which anyone who is truly in tune with the way their car handles, would greatly appreciate.

The equivalent stiffness without the accompanying increase in ride harshness comes from the fact that these bars come with urethane bushings (rather than stock rubber like the TRD), which account for a good 20-25% increase in stiffness with any bar.

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net

Hi Todd,

So, these sway bars are more comfortable than the TRD ones? Or the same? And what is "more expensive", if you don't mind quoting a price.

- Tony
Old 12-01-02, 04:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by DoubleWhoosh

GS buyers are normally not concerned with price anyways, they just want a quality product at a fair price and do not worry about a dollar here or a dollar there. This is why we all have a Lexus in the first place!!!

www.tmengineering.net
AMEN MY BROTHA! Seriously, that's the truth...you guys should buy based on quality and performance, not price. I am installing a set into my SC400...as soon as Todd is ready...
Old 12-01-02, 05:12 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The performance is virtually the same as far as I could tell, the ride is definitely more comfortable. The adjustable rear is the best feature.

Pricing is $499, not bad by anyone's standards.

Manaray...maybe next week will be good...
Old 12-01-02, 11:30 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if im not mistaken, that is the same price as the TRDs. the adjustable rear really has my attention. are these ready for sale yet?
Old 12-01-02, 09:58 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

I actually found the TRDs to IMPROVE the ride.

Currently L-Tuned setup.

A little harsher on small bumps but controls LARGE bumps much better.

I personally felt the rear was too stiff when I first put them on but I am getting used to it. Might be that the stock rear was way too soft compared to front.

Hope these new sways are great...but not too great...don't want to replace mine.

Late.

R