Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Groaning, Creaking brake noises after replacement on 2007 !S 250

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 12:47 PM
dkaplan424
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Groaning, Creaking brake noises after replacement on 2007 !S 250

Help! This problem has been driving me nuts.

I bought my '07 IS 250 last year with 23K miles on it. Brakes started to squeal about 5 months ago, so I had them checked. I was told that I needed new front rotors , pads, and rear pads. I had that done 4 months ago. I questioned how this could happen after so few miles and was told that this could happen depending on use, etc. Anyway, all was fine until about two months ago when there was a loud groaning, creaking sound whenever I applied the brakes. I took it back to the brake shop and they said that the right front rotor somehow was warped. They replaced it N/C and resurfaced the other new one. While the noise became less, they couldn't totally resolve it and couldn't explain what was wrong. They suggested I take it to another mechanic for another opinion. He thought that maybe a bushing or bearing was bad.

I took it to another shop and that guy said that probably one of the new the pads were bad. These new pads were premium ceramic pads. So, I took it back to the brake shop that did the job, and they replaced both front pads with another brand of high end ceramic pads. I was told that the original pads were semi metallic. I do know that the original pads created a ton of brake dust in the rims, so I was happier with the ceramic pads.

The second set of pads seemed fine but only for about two weeks. Yesterday, they too started to make this same groaning, creaking sound with every revolution of the wheels. I called the brake shop again, and they said that they would replace both of the rotors this time, but that was as far as they would go. They suggested I call the Lexus dealer to see if there were any recalls for bearing, bushings, etc.

So, I called the dealer. There were no recalls for this. I explained all of this and was told that IS 250's had a sport package braking system and if one replaced the original equipment with any aftermarket brakes, it didn't perform as well and they had had problems with brake sounds with other customers who didn't use OEM parts. That this model was very sensitive to using the OEM parts.

Anyway, it rained today, so after a couple of times of using the brakes, I assume that the brakes got moist, and the sounds actually went away !!! Maybe the moisture somehow damped the problem?
I took it back to the brake shop this afternoon, but of course now the sounds were gone, so they said to bring it back after they dried out or the sounds returned. They priced Lexus OEM front rotors and pads for me ( I guess I'll leave the rears alone since they seem OK), and it was an additional $260 just to replace the front rotors and pads with Lexus parts. They would give me full credit for the work already done and just charge for the additional amount of the Lexus parts.

What to do? Go back to dusty semi metallic OEM pads and new OEM rotors or try letting the brake shop just replace both aftermarket rotors again? The brake shop says they've never had a problem like this before using aftermarket brake parts on a Lexus. Is the Lexus dealer putting me on that only Lexus parts will solve this, or could it be something else unrelated to what kind of brake parts I use.

I would appreciate any advice on this. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but I do know how brakes work. This problem is a real pain and is driving me nuts. Thanks. DK
Old 09-12-12, 07:39 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Remove everything out of the equation. Get new low-dust brake pads, new pad installation hardware, grease everything up, and install. Bam!
Old 09-13-12, 09:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

OEM low dust pads-
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/1885.html

Be sure to click the "low dust" button to pick the right pads.

Also be sure to make an account with your club lexus screen name to get the discounted CL price.

And brake rotors, barring incorrect install, don't "warp"... that's what brake shops who don't understand how brakes actually work tell people when they don't know any better... see here:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 09-14-12, 08:02 AM
dkaplan424
Driver School Candidate

Default new development with brakes

So, before ordering new Lexus OEM parts and starting all over with new rotors and pads, I went back to the original brake shop . They took out the recent replacement pads and reinstalled the same ones. Lo and behold, the sounds disappeared. I guess I'll wait and see if this fix stays or not. If not, I'll get the Lexus brake parts and start all over.

Why would just reinstalling the same parts solve the problem of all the groaning and creaking sounds when I apply the brakes???

Changing the pads 3 weeks ago also did solve this problem, but it only lasted 3 weeks. Any ideas from anyone about what's going on?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-12, 06:35 PM
dkaplan424
Driver School Candidate

Well, after reinstaling the pads, having no sounds for 4 days, the sounds returned yet again.

So, should I get all new Lexus parts, or could there be something else going on?

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks