Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Any recommendations on brake pads with low dust for is350

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 01:27 PM
that1mienb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^That is usually normal though; do you park indoors overnight? If parked outside overnight, it is normal to see very minor surface rust develop overnight from mositure, thus help causing odd noises or feedback until the rust is worn off under normal driving.
Hmmm. I never thought about that and sometimes it does gett a little annoying because the its a loud squeal lol but yea I park outside
Old 08-28-14, 09:39 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 wks or so ago I replaced the brake pads on my is350 with Akebono.
AFAIK I was replacing lexus' own low dust pads (at least according to part number).
The rear calipers had frozen pins. I actually tried to buy replacement calipers but no one locally had stock (well maybe lexus did, but I was looking for rebuilt). My friend who is a mechanic managed to break them loose by hitting them on the side, then we sanded the pins and guides with emery cloth, and just for the hell of if it, I used some rust converter on the pins and guides.

That has nothing to do with the pads themselves, but it DOES have to do with the feel of before and after. So my telling you that I had better braking afterwards has to be tempered by the fact that I was really only getting 1 side of the rears engaged.

Since then I have auto-x'd the car twice. In neither case did I experience any brake fade that I could tell. The braking seemed pretty predictable to me throughout the event. Also FYI, Akebono recommends 500 mi of driving without doing hard braking as the procedure for bedding them. Since I changed them 3 days before my first auto-x, I didn't have that luxury. I haven't had any issues since either. Based on my experience, I'd very much recommend them and will buy them again.
Old 08-29-14, 11:32 PM
slickwil89
Pole Position

Stoptech Rotors & Pads!
Old 09-09-14, 09:33 PM
Tallica1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slickwil89
Stoptech Rotors & Pads!
How do Stoptech pads rate in terms of dust, noise, and hot and cold performance? I've been thinking of getting them.
Old 09-10-14, 02:37 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran through a few sets of stoptechs. Low to medium dust. No noise. Good all around performance for a daily driven call. All in all a very good pad.
Old 09-23-14, 12:00 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Hey guys, brought my car in for an oil change. The Lexus people mentioned that my rear rotors are down to 3mm and that I should change it. I've never changed pads or rotors yet. My car is hitting 45k. Does that sound about right?
Old 10-11-14, 08:50 PM
Chakerus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kl323
Hey guys, brought my car in for an oil change. The Lexus people mentioned that my rear rotors are down to 3mm and that I should change it. I've never changed pads or rotors yet. My car is hitting 45k. Does that sound about right?
Sounds about right to me. Mine are gone about 40k. Depends on your driving style really.
Old 10-12-14, 03:25 PM
TheLoyolan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've personally used Powerstop brake kits and am fairly satisfied with the low level of dust they produce. Haven't had a chance to try them on my IS, but I had them on my previous vehicle, a full size Tundra. Considering that trucks hefty weight, the brakes didn't seem to produce an excessive amount of dust. Fairly good stopping power too. The link for the IS model kit is here: http://www.powerstop.com/product/pow...20USA%20Models
Old 12-11-14, 02:21 PM
SparksLex
Driver

Hey guys, I ordered the Akebono breakpads and im set to have Lexus put them in next week. Are there any other parts that will need to be purchased for the job (ie. shims and other little bits) that I should purchase ahead of time to save money from the dealer rates?

Fronts only.

Sorry for the digression.
Old 12-11-14, 04:47 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Akebono are pre-shimed pads so you don't need to buy any shims. I just bought 2 sets of them one for IS250 and one for IS350 getting ready to be installed in the next oil change for both cars
Old 12-12-14, 02:40 PM
deestyle28
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had Akebono pads installed for the rear about an hour ago. So far so good. No more squeaky noise! And they are pre shimmed. Just a thought...I would advise asking to keep the original shims just in case you ever want to go back to OEM pads so you don't have to purchase shim parts especially if they are still good.

Also, I'm not sure where other people got their info from saying they need to " break in" the pads. I pulled below directly from the akebono site under pro act pads:

Virtually eliminates noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH)
Vehicle-optimized ceramic formulas for superior performance
Unrivaled stopping power
Clean wheels
No break-in required
Rotor-friendly with proven longer rotor life
Perfect upgrade for all braking systems
100 percent made in the USA

Last edited by deestyle28; 12-12-14 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-28-14, 05:25 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Thought I might as well give a bit of an update on my Akebono pads, now that we've had some winter here. We have had a few very cold days on which I've driven the car, but not too many so far this winter,for which I'm grateful. The pads seem to have decent bite in cold weather. I can't say I've noticed any real deficiencies in how they engage when pressing the gas pedal. I find them predictable. I'm glad I got them, and based on my experience, I'd recommend them.
Old 12-30-14, 08:34 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Akebono ProACT Ceramic
Old 12-30-14, 09:49 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I have just installed Akebono ProACT Ceramic pads and SUPER IMPRESSED with them.
1. Super low dust.
2. NO noise whatover!!!
3. Linear predictable braking force throughout the entire range. It doesn't have the OEM initial hard bite but the Akebono is very controllable and predictable which is what I like more for trail braking purpose.
4. Pre-shim so you save money. The OEM shims cost as much as the pads itself lol.
5. It should last longer than semi-metallic brake pads and easier on the rotors.
Old 10-25-18, 12:36 PM
SickAF
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Squeling noise

Originally Posted by Snyperifle
Another vote for Akebono Ceramic pads here. They truly are dustless. My rims only get dirty if it rains
I've heard these are good but they come with one drawback. Very loud noise every morning

Quick Reply: Any recommendations on brake pads with low dust for is350