Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

stay away from BECK/ARNLEY parts far away

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 12:56 PM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default stay away from BECK/ARNLEY parts far away

a little over 2 years old and under 30k
luck it happen at 3 mph while pulling out of a driveway. im going to get moog
Name:  05d91483.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  37.8 KB
Old 09-01-12, 02:17 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We need to keep a record of this folks

Originally Posted by O1GS43O
a little over 2 years old and under 30k
luck it happen at 3 mph while pulling out of a driveway. im going to get moog
Not every case was recorded, I am wondering how many folks out ther are not fully aware of the situation. Anyway, glad you ok. How coincident that the LBJ always happened at low speed.
I think you should stick with OEM on the LBJ & the Caster arm. The rest can from other manufacturer. Was your car slammed?
Old 09-01-12, 02:19 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

lbj always fail at low speeds
Old 09-01-12, 04:02 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Exactly. I went oem for the ball joints and caster arms, aftermarket for the tie rod ends.
Old 09-03-12, 08:14 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah B&A suck *****.

Originally Posted by GS714
I think you should stick with OEM on the LBJ & the Caster arm. The rest can from other manufacturer.
The OEM ones also break constantly even on stock suspension cars.

Show me a broken MOOG, I have yet to see one.
Old 09-03-12, 08:21 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

And this one came out of the housing, so the cast was the culprit in this case.

Name:  05d91483.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  37.8 KB

Typically the oem's just snap off like shown below..

Old 09-03-12, 09:34 AM
GS714
Pole Position

Default The diameter where it broke off should be five larger Ø

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
And this one came out of the housing, so the cast was the culprit in this case.

Typically the oem's just snap off like shown below..

That is equal to one diameter of a lug bolt Ø ( Approx). We have five of them on each wheels.
And each lug bolt can handle maybe four to five time the recommended ratings strength.
That is a lot of metal fatigue/stress and am surprise it could hold up to above 100K miles.
Old 09-03-12, 09:43 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

That is equal to one diameter of a lug bolt Ø ( Approx). We have five of them on each wheels.
And each lug bolt can handle maybe four to five time the recommended ratings strength.
That is a lot of metal fatigue/stress and am surprise it could hold up to above 100K miles.
Not sure what your getting at with this comparison? Lugs and ball joints don't have any of the same directional forces being applied. And in this case the ball joint did not fail, which is what you are comparing to a lug, the cast pot metal housing cracked and let go of the ball.

There are also MILLIONS of cars on the road all over the world with 200k+ miles on them still riding original ball joints without failure.. They may be sloppy, loose, creaking, etc but are still intact and not shearing off or falling out of the housing.

With all that aside, back on topic the title of this thread is valid, especially for this application.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 09-03-12 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-03-12, 10:47 AM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought B/A LBJs and I didn't experience a failure (thank God) but, I did notice a "creak" sound after 15,000 KM. I had the dealer check them and they were shot.
Old 09-03-12, 01:12 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought Moog outer tie rods and LBJ's. Price was right from RockAuto and my steering is a lot tighter. I had on my OEM's for about 20k miles or so. I just changed them for the piece of mind and also before I slammed back down here in a month or so.

I'd definitely go with Moog.
Old 09-03-12, 03:12 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Here you go

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Yeah B&A suck *****.

The OEM ones also break constantly even on stock suspension cars.

Show me a broken MOOG, I have yet to see one.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...today-pix.html

Correct me if I am wrong, is the LBJ part of a pivoting point for the wheel to steer? Now imagine, driving thru a corner while under hard accelerration. Which component do think is being under a lot of side loading?

I didn't said the OEM won't fail. It's may last just bit longer.
Old 09-03-12, 04:03 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...today-pix.html

Correct me if I am wrong, is the LBJ part of a pivoting point for the wheel to steer? Now imagine, driving thru a corner while under hard accelerration. Which component do think is being under a lot of side loading?

I didn't said the OEM won't fail. It's may last just bit longer.
I don't need to imagine it, I know what a ball joint looks like and what it does, I've been replacing them since the early nineties and have broken a few ball joints on trucks.

The forces being applied on a ball joint and the forces on lug nuts are completely different, which is what you were trying to compare. As a lug nut is just holding a static load, where as a balljoint can be maxing out the range of motion banging the stud against the socket housing causing the housing to crack or the stud to shear.

Moogs are not invincible by any means, but they also aren't called problem solvers for nothing. For many applications they actually have a larger range of motion, tougher/replaceable boots, have the addition of zerk fittings, and are generally stronger then OEM. In many instances they are more expensive than an OEM replacement as well.

I would love to find out if that was actually moogs installed in the ops car in that thread you linked. That is an issue with having to rely on random shops to do work on your car. You really never know what is being done, and they will say yeah yeah yeah we'll use moog, but they still order whatever their local parts runner brings them for the best price.. The Moogs I've put in with my own hands have never broken, and I've put them on quite a few bagged trucks that had broken oem joints, and they stand up to the serious stress of hopping on scuba or nitrogen where the joints are constantly maxing the range of motion.

Unfortunately it just seems the geometry on these cars is putting alot of accelerated stress on the lbj.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 09-03-12 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 05:17 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

OP..thanks for the heads up.. I always see this brand on ebay and wondered if they were good or not... Moog or OEM is the way to go...
Old 09-03-12, 06:08 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about BA lower ball joints, but I do have BA UCA's and so far mine have held up pretty well. It is important to note that BA does not create their own parts (that I know of), they are a distributor. For example, I ordered BA sway bar bushings and received OEM Toyota parts.

Having your car lowered is another huge factor with the LBJ's. I don't hear too many stories about people having their ball joints fail on stock height GS's. I only have my car lowered an inch. I expect my current ball joints to last around 100k. The previous pair lasted until 150,000 miles before I replaced them.
Old 09-03-12, 06:56 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Considering about an inch drop

Originally Posted by lexusben
I don't know about BA lower ball joints, but I do have BA UCA's and so far mine have held up pretty well. It is important to note that BA does not create their own parts (that I know of), they are a distributor. For example, I ordered BA sway bar bushings and received OEM Toyota parts.

Having your car lowered is another huge factor with the LBJ's. I don't hear too many stories about people having their ball joints fail on stock height GS's. I only have my car lowered an inch. I expect my current ball joints to last around 100k. The previous pair lasted until 150,000 miles before I replaced them.
Lexusben, when did dropped your car. And at what mileage until the LBJs replaced at 150,000m. I am considering dropping but concerning about LBJ separation.

Last edited by GS714; 09-05-12 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: stay away from BECK/ARNLEY parts far away