Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Can't decide between H&R Springs and MEgan EZ coils!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 08:11 AM
snaggle
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't decide between H&R Springs and MEgan EZ coils!

Hey guys. I've got a little project going on with my IS350.

One of the things I need to do is obviously lower it. For the looks and I would also prefer a slightly stiffer/tighter ride. But not too much more...

Ive been considering the H&R springs, it has a good even drop (which I like) 1.4 inch front and 1.3 inch rear. I would go ahead and buy them, but im scared they will kill my stock shocks, which would then cost me future expenses which would end up costing more than buying coils in the first place right??

My other option is to pay more the first time and not worry about future expenses, just get the Megan EZ coils...

BUT... here is the question... what is the difference in ride between the H&R springs and megan coils (considering i lower the coils EXACTLY the same as the springs would lower it)

Both of them wouldnt rub either right, if they are at same height? what about the ride feel, and other things to consider???

Im really torn on which one to get!! Any input would help guys!!
Old 08-25-12, 08:49 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. If you want slight drop, go for springs. If you want slam, go for coils (also comes with added benefit of dampening and height adjustment)

2. 2IS shocks are okay, especially if your car is newer. I'm running on stock shocks for few months now so far so good, and my route to work is pretty crappy.

3. If your shocks crap out, you just need to replace the shocks....but if your coils crap out, then you gotta replace the whole thing. With good care when driving, spring+shock has longer life span than coils............unless you have very soft shocks

4. H&R a little stiffer than stock for sure, I get more feedback on the road but is not overly stiff. I wanted it a little more stiff and I got it

5. I haven't used Megan EZ myself but I've read it's pretty soft for coils, even on hardest settings. So maybe save some more money and get BCR which comes with much much better warranty too.

enough newbie talk, now let the pros chime in...
Old 08-25-12, 09:21 AM
snaggle
Driver

Originally Posted by reyoasian
1. If you want slight drop, go for springs. If you want slam, go for coils (also comes with added benefit of dampening and height adjustment)

2. 2IS shocks are okay, especially if your car is newer. I'm running on stock shocks for few months now so far so good, and my route to work is pretty crappy.

3. If your shocks crap out, you just need to replace the shocks....but if your coils crap out, then you gotta replace the whole thing. With good care when driving, spring+shock has longer life span than coils............unless you have very soft shocks

4. H&R a little stiffer than stock for sure, I get more feedback on the road but is not overly stiff. I wanted it a little more stiff and I got it

5. I haven't used Megan EZ myself but I've read it's pretty soft for coils, even on hardest settings. So maybe save some more money and get BCR which comes with much much better warranty too.

enough newbie talk, now let the pros chime in...
Thanks for the input.

To start of with, the amount I want it lowered is around 1.4 inches back and front, which is exactly what H&R gives.

My car has 46k miles on it, so i feel the shocks as is may be slightly on the weak side, so to put springs on 46k shocks, had me slightly worried...

I guess your right on the part where i just need to replace the shocks. Maybe if they crap out i guess ill go for aftermarket or maybe another set of used stock shocks if i find any...

I think im leaning more towards the H&R springs. Any idea what labor costs to put them on? How much cheaper is the labor for springs as opposed to coils??
Old 08-25-12, 09:36 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pay a bit more now and you have the adjustability of height and dampening. If you get wheels, you'll probably adjust them again. If you ONLY want the 1.4" drop then you're good with the springs only. I'd go with Megan. I love my LP's.
Old 08-25-12, 01:36 PM
kwikshift
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get coils and not the megan EZ. They are too soft.
Old 08-25-12, 02:28 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

^i agree i had h&r then went with megan ez. I wish i saved up for bcr right from the beginning.
Old 09-01-12, 12:13 AM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

what does dampening mean? i want to get the megan coils since they are "soft", i have carpel tunnel, i dont want the turning radius of my steering wheel to get stiffer, what setting would i put it to?
Old 09-02-12, 04:19 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with coils, dont waste your time/money with springs
Old 09-06-12, 09:17 AM
Adam350is
Pole Position

i love my h&r springs i just installed. good ride height. still have some clearance. little stiff but still rides like a lexus. and looks amazing. also very affordable.
Old 09-06-12, 11:22 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

I had H&R Springs, loved them, but wanted more, so I got the BCRacing coils. Been happy for 2 years, but now want moar! haha

I'd say go with coils, but not the Megan EZ.
Old 09-06-12, 07:53 PM
viprtwo
Driver

there's a guy selling 2011 IsF suspension which is already supposed to lower the car 1" lower than OEM. just something to consider...
Old 09-07-12, 07:22 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I had Tein S-tech's then Megan EZ's (now on bags), but between coils and springs, coils i felt more glued to the road and they were more comfortable than lowering springs. Only ran the EZ's 5 months, but i had no problems with them, I'd recommend if thats your price range. There spring ratios are low (10/8) so it wont be as stiff as other coils, but not sure what your end goal is. I still have my lightly used EZ's, havent decided if i need to sell them or keep them in case of an emergency (blow a bag). haha

Good luck on the choice, either gives a nice drop.
Old 09-07-12, 07:49 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup^ your suspension wont be as bouncy with coils because you can adjust how your want your ride quality to be.

If your looking to sell your EZs, let me know