Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2001 GS430 Front Suspension Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 09:51 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound is different depending on circumstances. So, much so, that I'm beginning to think I'm chasing 2 or more sound making issues.

One I get going over speed bumps, rough ones. Sounds like "Ee-er", like a bad, squeaky rubber flexing. I'm guessing the bushing in my LCAs or the struts.

The other is like a pop sometimes subtle, other times, passengers have "WTF was that?" look on their faces. Sometimes, I swear an LBJ is going to pop!! But the popping sound only occurs at those abrupt transitions in pavement, I've mentioned before. Be it big or little transition, I'll get a commensurate level sound.

I'm wanting to fix my problem(s) asap, but I want to find out what's causing the noise(s), so I'm thinking of fixing one thing at a time, as opposed to the shotgun approach, and doing all the fixes at once, and not knowing which fix did the trick.

I'm willing to be your rear end sound is bushing related. I had the exact same sound last summer. turned out to be my axle carrier bushings or track link bushings. Can't remember which exactly, I replaced them so close to the same time.

UPDATE: So at lunch I went out and tested the motor mounts. Motor didn't flex, hardly at all under load. Will try the jello test Wed, after work.

Last edited by Blanco; 03-26-13 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-26-13, 11:24 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Blanco, thanks for sharing.

Do you have coilovers?

When you replaced your carrier bushings in the rear, what did you use as replacement bushings (i.e. where did you get them)?

Also, where are the track link bushings?
Old 03-26-13, 05:47 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Blanco, thanks for sharing.

Do you have coilovers?

When you replaced your carrier bushings in the rear, what did you use as replacement bushings (i.e. where did you get them)?

Also, where are the track link bushings?
They are located towards the front of the car on the axle carrier. They sit in front of the carrier bushings.
Old 03-26-13, 08:09 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blanco
They are located towards the front of the car on the axle carrier. They sit in front of the carrier bushings.
Yup, crystal clear. Thanks.
Old 03-27-13, 06:44 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound is different depending on circumstances. So, much so, that I'm beginning to think I'm chasing 2 or more sound making issues.

One I get going over speed bumps, rough ones. Sounds like "Ee-er", like a bad, squeaky rubber flexing. I'm guessing the bushing in my LCAs or the struts.

The other is like a pop sometimes subtle, other times, passengers have "WTF was that?" look on their faces. Sometimes, I swear an LBJ is going to pop!! But the popping sound only occurs at those abrupt transitions in pavement, I've mentioned before. Be it big or little transition, I'll get a commensurate level sound.

I'm wanting to fix my problem(s) asap, but I want to find out what's causing the noise(s), so I'm thinking of fixing one thing at a time, as opposed to the shotgun approach, and doing all the fixes at once, and not knowing which fix did the trick.

I'm willing to be your rear end sound is bushing related. I had the exact same sound last summer. turned out to be my axle carrier bushings or track link bushings. Can't remember which exactly, I replaced them so close to the same time.

UPDATE: So at lunch I went out and tested the motor mounts. Motor didn't flex, hardly at all under load. Will try the jello test Wed, after work.

Your problems sound exactly like mine.... We should meet up and compare ! I'm in Rowlett / work in Richardson. Its embarassing when the passengers say WTF was that popping noise huh
Old 03-27-13, 06:56 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speed3000g
Your problems sound exactly like mine.... We should meet up and compare ! I'm in Rowlett / work in Richardson. Its embarassing when the passengers say WTF was that popping noise huh
Check your PMs.
Old 04-10-13, 01:51 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Although it's not suspension related, I thought I'd go ahead and polish those OEM headlights which greatly improved the overall look of the car.

Old 04-10-13, 03:14 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Although it's not suspension related, I thought I'd go ahead and polish those OEM headlights which greatly improved the overall look of the car.

Tell us how they look in 3-4 months. Once you polish off the UV protection, it doesn't take them long to haze up again. I did that wash/rinse/repeat cycle for a couple of years before I finally got fed up, and just put in new housings.

It's so worth the money!! But polished lenses always look good!!
Old 04-10-13, 03:20 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

That's now the second time I'm hearing that. I'll be watching, but boy do they look great today lol.
Old 06-12-13, 07:25 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Hi guys, just wanted to update and wrap up this thread.

It took motor mounts to fix the front end clunking, replacement Megan coil over shock cartridge to fix the faint rattle when going over uneven surfaces at low speed, and the Lexus dealer to properly install the front brake pads/clips that my independent mechanic screwed up to fix the front end creak when applying the brakes.

It's taken much more time, money, and effort than I expected, but for the first time everything is addressed and it feels and sounds like a Lexus should!

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 06-12-13 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-12-13, 07:47 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Hi guys, just wanted to update and wrap up this thread.

It took motor mounts to fix the front end clunking, replacement Megan coil over shock cartridge to fix the rest rattle when going over uneven surfaces at low speed, and the Lexus dealer to properly install the front brake pads/clips that my independent mechanic screwed up to fix the front end creak when applying the brakes.

It's taken much more time, money, and effort than I expected, but for the first time everything is addressed and it feels and sounds like a Lexus should!
So you had 3 sound issues? Glad you finally have resolution!! Gives me hope.
Old 06-12-13, 08:47 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

So you had 3 sound issues? Glad you finally have resolution!! Gives me hope.
Yes, just have to keep narrowing things down until everything is solved
Old 06-23-13, 08:32 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Here are the latest pics:

Most recently I had to get slightly narrower rear tires to get it to stop rubbing in the rear (had 265-35).

The car now has 245-35-19 front and 255-35-19 rear.

Old 06-23-13, 01:24 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

great pics.. so clean
Old 06-23-13, 02:17 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by tmf2004
great pics.. so clean
Thank you sir! Long time in the making.