Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

****!!! Got a balljoint failure today! Pix..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 11:21 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine are getting replaced with moog in a few weeks, im not on coilovers though so i should be good to go for a grip, ^^exactly, if u see no 555 stamped on em, i think sumpin shady was goin on

Last edited by DosyBoy; 08-17-12 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-17-12, 11:47 AM
melski415
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Sux.. I replaced at 55k for s I DON'T have a failure. Sure nuff 20k later I get 1. I sure China made ones don't even fail at 20k.
Old 08-17-12, 01:44 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Caster arm's condition? LCA#2

Originally Posted by melski415
That Sux.. I replaced at 55k for s I DON'T have a failure. Sure nuff 20k later I get 1. I sure China made ones don't even fail at 20k.
What is the condition of your caster arm? I have read somewhere within the forum, the caster arm will be in great stress and weaken if the car is slammed. Hence will put a lot of stress on LBJs.
My family is riding the GS as well with just 102k miles on clock. I replaced the OEM LBJs last year and two new Caster Arm yesterday OEM also. Seeing this kind pictures sure stir up some unease feeling. Can please tell us the condition of the caster arm, picture.?
Old 08-17-12, 03:39 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
Sad. Very dangerous. For all the hate German automakers get for unreliability, I'd rather drive one of those knowing my suspension won't crap on my family. Toyota should have been sued for this crap. You have cheap economic cars that can go for 100k + on the original ball joints.
you realize you are complaining about a 14year+ old design. If this was still a problem on a new car or even 4year old car; then i think you have a point.

But in my book statute of limitations has passed, when you buy an old car, it's pretty clear you should know what you are getting.
Old 08-17-12, 05:08 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

This lower ball-joint failure topic is extremely disconcerting, seriously!

I was driving into work just this morning and on the side of the highway I see a tan LS400 abandoned on the shoulder. The front driver side wheel was turned 90 degrees (perpendicular to the car) and that corner of the car was collapsed. I knew exactly what happened there... And chances are that did not happen at low speed either!

Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for a **** poor under-engineered design job when it comes to these lower ball-joints... This is simply too common on our cars.
Old 08-18-12, 06:08 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmmm, I doubt he changed your ball joints when replacing your coils. In particularly without your knowledge. Why would he need to? I'm certain they were the same Moog ball joints you put on the car three years prior. Glad no one was injured or hurt. To shed a little light on this topic, it appears (from the stories I have read and listened to) that the ball joint failure seems to only happen at low speeds. I have never heard of a LBJ popping at high speeds. There must be something to that. Maybe less stress on the LBJs at high speeds??

By the way, I have heard multiple stories of both OEM and Moogs snapping. Its not necessarily the maker of the part, its the poor design of the part. The weakness is not in the arm of the LBJ itself, rather the actual ball and stud at the end of the joint that gives out.
Old 08-18-12, 07:31 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My buddy has had this happen twice on his stick GS, both times at parking lot speeds. I guess it's time to check mine while I'm doing my rebuild!
Old 08-18-12, 08:23 AM
GS714
Pole Position

Lightbulb Maybe I should change mine every two years

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
My buddy has had this happen twice on his stick GS, both times at parking lot speeds. I guess it's time to check mine while I'm doing my rebuild!
Visual inspection and range of free play allowance is not really the answer. Naked eye can't see mircro cracked and the mechanics are not willing to dis-assemble parts for visual inspection. Unless you are willing to pay for labor and parts. There got to be a way to retrofit/support brackets to reduce the stress on the LBJs. Maybe an additional Front Caster Arm
Old 08-18-12, 12:08 PM
Sykotic336
Driver

shoot that sucks i wonder if its that light knocking sound i hear sometimes when i reversing out, maybe i should change mine out too but i should be covered by warranty... glad no one got hurt though phew..
Old 08-18-12, 12:51 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with factory Lexus parts next time. There is nothing better than OEM. Glad you are all ok.
Old 08-19-12, 05:54 PM
laoboiGS3
Pole Position

Mine is making a weird Bruno noise when I hit bumps and stuff too.. maybe I should check that out
Old 08-19-12, 07:34 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Can you please clarify the 20-30mm RCA?

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
Glad to see you and your kids are ok. But damn that sucks. Is your car lowered by chance? If so I recommend getting maybe a 20-30mm RCA. This will help take a lot of stress on the LBJs for lowered GS's
Yakuza, Did you meant Lower Control Arm #2? Can you reference to Rear Control Arm with picture?
I am thinking selling my GS300 and getting another GS400 2nd Generation. But seeing these BLJ nsnapping pictures sure have me seriously reconsider owning another second GS. I am was looking at 3rd GEN GS as I am writing this
Old 08-19-12, 08:11 PM
jairedm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by melski415
Thanx guys.. my car was slammed on coilovers, but I swapped to stock. So this would be my daily. I'm also thinking if the person who swapped out my coilovers for his swapped my bjs.. cuz mine were newer. I only had about 25k on those bjs. hmm. Just a thought. If that's the case.. that's shady.
wrong thoughts buddy.. We can go to the Shop n see if my balljoints brand new lmk. Fyi i only swapped the coilovers.
Old 08-20-12, 12:13 AM
melski415
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jairedm
wrong thoughts buddy.. We can go to the Shop n see if my balljoints brand new lmk. Fyi i only swapped the coilovers.
Funny you say that. You also said your suspension was good. When I took my car to get aligned, the shop said front shocks weren't good.. So, it had to be replaced. I never tripped off that to you (Thanx for that). When it come to things endangering my fams, of course I'm gonna think that. Especially when you said your stuff was in good shape but wasn't. You don't know me and I never knew you, What do you expect?

Last edited by melski415; 08-20-12 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-20-12, 04:21 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
you realize you are complaining about a 14year+ old design. If this was still a problem on a new car or even 4year old car; then i think you have a point.

But in my book statute of limitations has passed, when you buy an old car, it's pretty clear you should know what you are getting.
You do realize that this was a problem when the car was a brand new design. Actually they have had problems with lbj's on the GS models since 1993, so I can't co-sign with your statement and he has a great point. Toyota was dead wrong with this problem ALONG with the *******y door actuators.

Quick Reply: ****!!! Got a balljoint failure today! Pix..