Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower bvall joints and outer tie rod questions.. PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 10:37 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Lower bvall joints and outer tie rod questions.. PLEASE HELP

Wassup CL.. I'm looking to buy my 2001 GS430 some new lower ball joints and outer tie rods. t has roughly around 84,500 miles. But I do hear those noises from the front time to time. Cracking, popping, etc. I don't want my car dropping on my front rim and yaddiyaddiya. There's threads about it on the suspension and brake part in the 2nd gen GS part. Anyhow, this is where my dilemna comes into play. I'm wondering which brand lower ball joints and outer tie rods to buy. OEM Lexus from Sewell Parts or MOOG from my local AAP store. I've had MOOG before on my Honda and it's on til this day. Not 1 prob. Been 4 years. But aLexus and a Honda are 2 different machines. I've read alot in threads but can't seem to determine which is in favorible doubt. Some people say MOOG are better off because OEM Lexus ball joints have the tendency to mess up early. Then again, OEM quality is OEM quality. Pleae, can someone pleae help me decide. Comments, opnions, info insight. Also, about the outer tie rods, are those really a big deal. From what I understood, it's the lower ball joints that are really the problem. But if the outer tie rods are really that big of a deal, can someone let me know what brand to go with? MOOG or OEM? And if OEM, what's the part number on Sewell? Please, THANKS.
Old 08-13-12, 10:53 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VINCE9164
thank you for your response so quickly. def will read up on this page.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 08-13-12, 10:56 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VINCE9164
whoa! my man this is definitely what i wanted to see. thank you so much man. i love this.

Old 08-14-12, 02:22 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
whoa! my man this is definitely what i wanted to see. thank you so much man. i love this.

PA, me too, where at? Btw are these for the 400 also guys?
Old 08-16-12, 04:59 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Wassup CL.. I'm looking to buy my 2001 GS430 some new lower ball joints and outer tie rods. t has roughly around 84,500 miles. But I do hear those noises from the front time to time. Cracking, popping, etc. I don't want my car dropping on my front rim and yaddiyaddiya. There's threads about it on the suspension and brake part in the 2nd gen GS part. Anyhow, this is where my dilemna comes into play. I'm wondering which brand lower ball joints and outer tie rods to buy. OEM Lexus from Sewell Parts or MOOG from my local AAP store. I've had MOOG before on my Honda and it's on til this day. Not 1 prob. Been 4 years. But aLexus and a Honda are 2 different machines. I've read alot in threads but can't seem to determine which is in favorible doubt. Some people say MOOG are better off because OEM Lexus ball joints have the tendency to mess up early. Then again, OEM quality is OEM quality. Pleae, can someone pleae help me decide. Comments, opnions, info insight. Also, about the outer tie rods, are those really a big deal. From what I understood, it's the lower ball joints that are really the problem. But if the outer tie rods are really that big of a deal, can someone let me know what brand to go with? MOOG or OEM? And if OEM, what's the part number on Sewell? Please, THANKS.
If you're smart, you will go with MOOG. Honda vs. Lexus doesn't mean anything...it's the part that you are purchasing. Heck, before I came over to the GS family, I had an Infiniti Q45 and that thing was a tank, made with great OEM parts. No issues with door locks or lbj's. As a matter of fact, I didn't replace my lbj's on that car until 180k...wheels had play in them. For the price of the oem lbj's, you can purchase MOOG lbj's and tie rods so I think that MOOG is the better purchase. MOOG parts are made in Japan with the quality 555 stamp also giving you the ability to add grease to the lbj's. Typically I'm OEM on some things, but not in this matter. It's a shame how bad they are. For this job, it only makes sense to replace both at the same time because you HAVE to take off the tie rod for this job.
Old 08-16-12, 05:17 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.autopartsexpress.com/

Buy from that website. You can get MOOG Ball Joints/Outer Tie Rods/Inner Tie rods for about $200.

Old 08-16-12, 06:02 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
http://www.autopartsexpress.com/

Buy from that website. You can get MOOG Ball Joints/Outer Tie Rods/Inner Tie rods for about $200.

Or you can get them even cheaper at Rock Auto. The OP can search the internet for their 5% discount code. I spent $100 w/shipping for my Moog lbj's and outer tie rods. I didn't buy inner. they were still in good condition.
Old 08-16-12, 06:09 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Or you can get them even cheaper at Rock Auto. The OP can search the internet for their 5% discount code. I spent $100 w/shipping for my Moog lbj's and outer tie rods. I didn't buy inner. they were still in good condition.
Good find. I always used RockAuto but didn't think about checking it. I got the APE from another thread that someone posted. They are cheaper on RA, but it's not showing a left inner/right inner or is it $33 for both Left/Right Inners?!?! If so that's a crazy deal.
Old 08-16-12, 11:34 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Im doing mine soon, was gonna go with oem but im def getting Moog... Cant wait
Old 08-22-12, 05:30 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
PA, me too, where at? Btw are these for the 400 also guys?
I live in the Leigh Valley. Allentown. And mines is a GS430. Not too much different from a 400 though bro. Hit me up if theres any meets. I been wanting to go to some but things are dead in PA ...
Old 08-22-12, 05:57 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Anyways guys here's some helpful insight on anybody reading this thread and possibly looking to do the same job but haven't looked up prices. Idk what these guys above have searched or the prices they talk about. here's what I paid, links to the parts, and prices.

Here are the MOOG LBJs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-K500102...aac563&vxp=mtr
This is for LBJ K500102.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-K500101...73ca3b&vxp=mtr
This is for LBJ K500101.

I paid roughly around $82. A few cents less. Free shipping. Brand new. eBay. Power seller too. Good feedbacks.

Here are the MOOG outer tie rods:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-ES80584...dd119f&vxp=mtr
This is for ES80584.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-ES80585...dd1234&vxp=mtr
This is for ES80585.

I paid roughly around $50. A few cents less. Free shipping. Brand new. eBay. Power seller too. Good feedbacks.

Overall I paid about $132. A little less. For all 4 brand new MOOG parts. I hope you guys found this helpful. I got the pieces already. They are the real deal. Nice 555 stamp on them.
Old 08-24-12, 10:56 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

These are the LBJs. Fresh out of the package. Like I previously stated in my posts above, the prices, the links. Once I receive the outer tie rods I will post pics as well. I hope this serves as help to anybody in need of good quality parts, brand new, for more then reasonable price.
Attached Thumbnails Lower bvall joints and outer tie rod questions.. PLEASE HELP-lbjs-1.jpg   Lower bvall joints and outer tie rod questions.. PLEASE HELP-lbjs-2.jpg  
Old 08-27-12, 10:23 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Here's my MOOG outer tie rods. Just received them thru the mail. I ordered them from a different eBay seller then the LBJs so they took a little longer to come. Like I said, links are above with prices, details, etc. I hope this serves as useful.
Attached Thumbnails Lower bvall joints and outer tie rod questions.. PLEASE HELP-moog-otrs-1.jpg   Lower bvall joints and outer tie rod questions.. PLEASE HELP-moog-otrs-2.jpg  
Old 08-28-12, 10:59 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

^^^Does your Moog lbj's have the grease zerk fitting? Quality part...better than our OEM IMO.
Old 08-28-12, 12:32 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Moogs have the fittings.

Quick Reply: Lower bvall joints and outer tie rod questions.. PLEASE HELP