Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibration during braking and brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-12, 08:59 AM
TehBotol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration during braking and brake squeal

The brake squeal seems to be presistent after a long drive, I tried to have the dealer look at this but they could not find the problem. I read on another forum that the rear anti squeal spring could be the culprit. I'm planning to replace the brake pads and the anti squeal spring the since it was marked as "yellow" by the dealer last time it was serviced.
The vibration happened lately, when I brake from 65mph-45mph but its intermittent. Would replacing the brake pad fix this problem? or do I need to also replace the rotors?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-13-12, 07:32 PM
awesome22
Driver School Candidate

I had that same issue. Had all the rotors machines and all is good.
Old 08-20-12, 07:11 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Vibration during braking is almost always a lack of parallelism in the rotors, front if you feel it in the steering wheel, rear if you feel it only in the pedal...

Squeal is caused by a few different things - lack of lubrication of hardware, contaminated brake pads, and, most commonly, rotors that have developed hot spots and/or high spots... The last two can sometimes be fixed by machining the rotors, sometimes machining helps for a period of time, but it comes back sooner - this can be caused by the actual metallurgy in the rotor changing due to heat - in this case, the rotors would require replacement to fix the issue (and if the pads are anything but brand new, I'd replace those as well)
Old 08-28-12, 07:02 PM
TehBotol
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply! Any suggestion on what brand for the rotors? I just bought akebono pads, so I'll hold off on installing them until I can find a good set of rotors.
Old 08-29-12, 07:09 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by TehBotol
Thanks for the reply! Any suggestion on what brand for the rotors? I just bought akebono pads, so I'll hold off on installing them until I can find a good set of rotors.
Really, any OEM style rotor will be fine for street use... to be honest, stay away from slotted/drilled rotors, your braking system wasn't designed for it and it will only hurt performance
Old 09-03-12, 10:17 AM
mmartin061
banned

I seem to have the same problem. I get a set of new rotors and pads up front and then the pulsation is back before I know it. My brakes never last long at all before I get the squealing and pulsation. I have tried the Autozone rear brake discs and they don't fit. I have to buy OEM which are like $160 a piece because they do not fit properly. I am not sure why this is. But I wish I could get 50k miles on a set of front brake pads and rotors not 7k. My friend has almost 80k on here Kia and all original brakes and no pulsation or squealing. I am perplexed.
Old 09-08-12, 06:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by martin0617
I seem to have the same problem. I get a set of new rotors and pads up front and then the pulsation is back before I know it. My brakes never last long at all before I get the squealing and pulsation. I have tried the Autozone rear brake discs and they don't fit. I have to buy OEM which are like $160 a piece because they do not fit properly. I am not sure why this is. But I wish I could get 50k miles on a set of front brake pads and rotors not 7k. My friend has almost 80k on here Kia and all original brakes and no pulsation or squealing. I am perplexed.
How hard do you drive the car? If you don't drive it hard, there is a chance there are other factors at work here, such as stuck pistons in the calipers... Have someone experienced look at the pads and rotors, or take a picture and post of the rotors - I'd bet they show hot spots and glazing... I get 50k out of pads being hard on them...
Old 09-12-12, 04:03 PM
mmartin061
banned

I dirve in rush hour traffic but nothing more. I don't brake late and maybe once in a great while I have had to get on them. I know there are other things that go on in braking other than the equipment. But it is hard for me to swallow this problem has been going on for a long time. I heard that there could be problems with lines rotting and not releasing the caliper soon enough after braking causing the pad to be compressed on the rotor longer and hence warping. Non OEM parts are inferior to brand "x" from your local parts store. I will take some pictures and post them next week after I have them replaced and hopefully someone can tell me what steps need to be done to insure a proper brake job so I know when the guy does rhe job he is doing it properly. Thanks ahead of time
Old 01-07-13, 12:15 AM
Mlexus01
Driver School Candidate

Default having the same issue

I too have noticed while exiting a freeway and braking to decelerate that a vibration and noise appeared to be coming from the passenger side and now the noise is frequent while braking in normal streets after consulting my mechanic it appears that the all four rotors and brake pads seem to be in pretty bad shape since i recently purchased the vehicle used who knows how the previous owner drove the vehicle but it was a women ahahahah hence i just opted to order some EBC slotted rotors and going for Stop tech pads all around hopefully that will solve this vibration problem and noise :/ and besides personal safety and of those that ride along should not be risked especially driving in Los Angeles, I surely hope that it does not appear again as some of you speculate. I will post if the problem was solved and Maybe i will post pictures if the problem is discovered while removing the rotors and brake pads
Old 01-31-13, 12:27 AM
TAQ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mlexus01
I too have noticed while exiting a freeway and braking to decelerate that a vibration and noise appeared to be coming from the passenger side and now the noise is frequent while braking in normal streets after consulting my mechanic it appears that the all four rotors and brake pads seem to be in pretty bad shape since i recently purchased the vehicle used who knows how the previous owner drove the vehicle but it was a women ahahahah hence i just opted to order some EBC slotted rotors and going for Stop tech pads all around hopefully that will solve this vibration problem and noise :/ and besides personal safety and of those that ride along should not be risked especially driving in Los Angeles, I surely hope that it does not appear again as some of you speculate. I will post if the problem was solved and Maybe i will post pictures if the problem is discovered while removing the rotors and brake pads
sorry to hear that you just got it and its already messin up, but if you change up to sloted rotors, you mind letting us know how that effects the ride in any way it would be greatlly appreciated.
Old 05-14-13, 04:28 PM
mmartin061
banned

Haha after all this time it was a rear clip missing so the pad wasn't tight.