Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How do I know if I need new upper control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 05:56 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default How do I know if I need new upper control arms?

Whats up CL, I have an 01 GS430 with 112k i'm just wondering if anyone can tell me or show me what a bad upper control arm looks like on our cars because i cant tell by looking at it if its bad or not and since they have a ball joint in them im assuming changing them would make the car ride better? I notice sometimes over rough roads sometimes the steering wheel jerks side to side and gets loose so i was hoping this could help? anyone who changed them please let me know and let me know what differences you felt. Thanks.

Last edited by DMPesso; 08-09-12 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 02:58 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm slightly lowered, so the thing I noticed the most was the improved camber. I was wearing tires out . So that helped, it tracked straighter, and steering tightened up a bit. You usually can't see any clues visually. It's not until their in that you feel the difference.

I ended up going with SPC arms. I'd have gotten the FIGS but they're not out yet. Beefier arms they are. If you're stock height, stock arms are good.
Old 08-10-12, 01:38 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

you mainly check for play on balljoints.
Old 08-17-12, 10:26 PM
arkadyzv
Driver School Candidate

Check them for play as already stated and also leaks, etc. I've dealt with a few that had ripped but still felt solid yet caused vibration that went away only after they were replaced. Generally speaking with 112k, they are done.
Old 08-17-12, 10:47 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

What vibration did you have? Can u explain? I have the infamous 60+ shake
Old 08-20-12, 05:11 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

When you say shake, I assume you are referring to the steering wheel. It also could mean a pretty bad vibration in the car as you drive.

Changing your lower ball joints and upper control arms will absolutely make your car ride smoother. After mine were replaced on the front end, I noticed that the steering tightened up a considerable amount and the car held a line on a straight road much better. Before they were replaced, I experienced a very loud noise when turning the steering wheel with the car stopped or at slow speeds. It was like a high pitched screeching. I could also hear a very faint popping when hitting the brakes or making a turn. Sure enough, my front right lower ball joint was on the verge of failing. Unfortunately, this may not completely solve the shake you are experiencing. But if it does that would be great.

How bad is the shake? Is it a violent shake? Or is it a slight vibration? I experienced a violent shake around 60MPH and my problem turned out to be a seized piston in my front right caliper assembly. This is a very easy thing to diagnose. If after a long drive you notice that one of your front wheels is hotter than the other, and I mean VERY hot, then you more than likely have a seized caliper. You will also notice an excessive amount of brake dust on the wheel. Furthermore, you can feel the car pulling to one side, depending on whichever side the seized caliper is on. I also noticed my mileage decline a bit when this happened.

If you have a slight vibration in the steering wheel, it could be a number of other things which are centered on the suspension and tires. I would start by doing a tire rotation and see if the shake improves or changes the location of the vibration. If you experience a shake in the steering wheel, the culprit tires would be the front. If you feel your body shaking, or the rest of the car for that matter while driving, then the culprit tires are more than likely the rear. If nothing improves after a rotation, I would balance the tires and perform a four wheel alignment. The things I have told you will solve 99% of vibrations in my opinion.

The remaining 1% could be your steering rack breaking down. You could also check the tie rods and camber bolts. Other times, people with a bent rim will experience a pretty exaggerated shake as well.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Enigmatic; 08-20-12 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-20-12, 05:46 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Did u change the lower and upper ball joints/arms at the same time? Because I did the lower ball joints and it definitely made the car drive much better. But if changing the uppers will improve it even more then I might consider doing that
Old 08-20-12, 06:03 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

Yes, I did them at the same time.
Old 08-20-12, 07:58 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

O then it could have just been your lowers because mine improved the same way u described just by changing the lowers. The car drove like **** before changing them
Old 08-21-12, 07:33 AM
Enigmatic
Driver

I do not think it would hurt to change the UCAs. The only downside is that it is a fairly expensive part.
Old 08-21-12, 08:05 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

That's exactly why I'm going so hard to findout if I need them because it would hurt my pockets to change them for nothing I have many more things to do with the $800+ to change them
Old 08-21-12, 08:06 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I really want to hear from someone who changed just the upper arms and is all stock and the differences it made for them. That would make my day :-)
Old 08-22-12, 01:18 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

I bet it would be hard to find someone that hasn't changed the lower ball joints but has changed the upper control arms. If you have the money, just take it to a trusted mechanic and ask them what they think of your UCAs. The lower ball joints are the ones that fail, thus they are the ones which are usually replaced more often than not.
Old 08-22-12, 03:16 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

u can go with MOOG FUCA for under $200 a pop via Rock auto.