Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 12-12-14, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

bouncy air ride help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 06:44 PM
naktrnl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bouncy air ride help

Hello CL,

So I got some air bags installed on my 04 gs430 n the ride is way too bouncy. the compressors are viair with the e-level system installed. I love the bags but hate the bouncy ride! the suspension is all air bag w no coils/springs.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I heard there is a sweet spot to adjust the ride height to so it won't be as bouncy? is that true?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-12, 07:09 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its usually bouncy when you have little air inside the bags. What kind of bag/air struts u have?
Old 08-02-12, 07:28 PM
ESMYDEE
Driver School Candidate

Two friends of mine had bags, not on a GS, and they were always bouncy no matter what setting. I guess some cars can get it to ride fine but my only experience with bags were bouncy as hell.
Old 08-02-12, 07:40 PM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of bags? Full struts? Coilovers w bags? Missing the key notes. Two of my cars are on bags. My GS feels soft and stable and my F50 feels like Coilovers but I keep the dampening pretty hard.
Old 08-02-12, 08:23 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It all has to do with the air pressure inside the bag

If you are using a stock strut with airbag like the picture below and you drive with little air pressure because you want to be low then this would be extremely bouncy and handle like complete garbage. The more air in the bag means the stiffer the ride however you may not be ok with the look,

This is when aftermarket shocks come into play. Take these Airrex strust for example. These have both bag and adjustable sleeve for height control. The key with this style is that you want to adjust the air pressure first to figure out how hard or soft you want your ride while driving. Once that is determined take a look at your vehicle from the outside and determine how much higher or lower you want your car to look while driving. At this point you will adjust the sleeve height to your preferred drive height and set it on your e-level system. Hope that helps
Old 08-02-12, 10:25 PM
naktrnl
Driver School Candidate

I don't know what brand, the shop just installed it n i never asked wat brand they were. they are after market struts tho. Imma call them tomorrow n ask. l will try n take some pics of it too.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 08-03-12, 05:29 AM
LowGS3OO
Rookie

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
It all has to do with the air pressure inside the bag

If you are using a stock strut with airbag like the picture below and you drive with little air pressure because you want to be low then this would be extremely bouncy and handle like complete garbage. The more air in the bag means the stiffer the ride however you may not be ok with the look,

This is when aftermarket shocks come into play. Take these Airrex strust for example. These have both bag and adjustable sleeve for height control. The key with this style is that you want to adjust the air pressure first to figure out how hard or soft you want your ride while driving. Once that is determined take a look at your vehicle from the outside and determine how much higher or lower you want your car to look while driving. At this point you will adjust the sleeve height to your preferred drive height and set it on your e-level system. Hope that helps

So bags with aftermarket struts or coils ride alot smoother then running bags on stock struts?

And since those struts you posted have adjustable sleeves with bags, I can lower the sleeve all the way down and then also air out the bags after? My car will be on the floor lol! Which is what Im looking for.
Old 08-03-12, 06:12 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

too much air and it rides horribly too