Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone running the new Tein street advance.....

Old 08-01-12, 05:44 PM
02msmg3
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Anyone running the new Tein street advance.....

Looking to get a new set of coilovers first was gonna go with Megan's then said I'd "step it up a bit" and go with the bc racing coils. My import shop is telling me to go with the new Tein advance and says that's a great new coil system. I've read a few threads about Tein Ss and cs but I don't see anything on the new street advance. Anyone care to chime in and tell me how they feel about them? I'm just gonna be using them for everyday driving, not slammed just a couple inches or less, no racing or track driving. Also, my shop says installation is 85/hr and will take about 4 hours.... This sound fair?? Thanks in advance
Old 08-01-12, 05:59 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

no, but they do look interesting. I wouldnt mind trying them out. I currently have flex and the street advance sounds like more of what im looking for.
Old 08-01-12, 06:07 PM
02msmg3
Advanced

Anyone with them please chime in... My cost is 940 shipped and the bcracings are 1099 shipped... Plus the 85/hr x4 for install. I'm just saying they're cheaper than the bcs, but would like actual feedback
Old 08-01-12, 10:05 PM
razzbear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I bought some today ill give you an update by Sunday that's when I'm put them in
Old 08-01-12, 11:13 PM
2eXceL
Driver

Originally Posted by 02msmg3
Anyone with them please chime in... My cost is 940 shipped and the bcracings are 1099 shipped... Plus the 85/hr x4 for install. I'm just saying they're cheaper than the bcs, but would like actual feedback
That's not a bad price for TEIN's. Where are you getting that deal?
Old 08-02-12, 09:53 AM
str8lucky
Pole Position

let us know how they ride. I'm already planning on switching my megan's
Old 08-02-12, 01:16 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

I remember seeing them having really soft spring rates, and they aren't fully body adjustable style, you just adjust the lower nut so this will mess with the spring rates.

I still went with BC's after seeing the street advance cuz I could get fully body adjustments without messing up the spring preload and they have custom spring rates.

Also I'm using Tein SS on my other car and not too impressed with it, spring rates a little soft + getting pretty rusty after only 3-4 years. Even when I'm pretty **** about keeping wheel wells clean and spray shocks every time during wash to keep dust and dirt off. and I don't even drive that car much during the winter, I kept it parked for 5 months last winter.
Old 08-02-12, 02:18 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Looking to get a new set of coilovers first was gonna go with Megan's then said I'd "step it up a bit" and go with the bc racing coils. My import shop is telling me to go with the new Tein advance and says that's a great new coil system. I've read a few threads about Tein Ss and cs but I don't see anything on the new street advance. Anyone care to chime in and tell me how they feel about them? I'm just gonna be using them for everyday driving, not slammed just a couple inches or less, no racing or track driving. Also, my shop says installation is 85/hr and will take about 4 hours.... This sound fair?? Thanks in advance
4 hours? at a shop with a lift? Geez, I would only hope they are including an alignment in the amount of time which will be needed as well.

A socket set and a floor jack and your only talking 20 min per wheel if you know what your doing.

A lift and all the right tools should be roughly an hour, 2 hours is defiantly still very reasonable, but 4 is not. Although as a shop they have to make money and $85 to pound it out in an hour is not worth it for custom installs with no money being made selling any parts.. Alot of shops would usually rather change brake rotors on an oem car for some random lady and up charge the **** out of her in that hour than spend it on something aftermarket.

But realistically if don't have the means to do it, then $250-$300 isn't really to bad if you look at the money only and not the hours it took.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-12, 02:55 PM
02msmg3
Advanced

He is charging the 4 hours because he is including if the coilovers are bad/have an issue his time to uninstall and reinstall them again (once the new coils come) he said so next time there will be no charge. More concerned w the ride/quality of the twins now though
Old 08-02-12, 03:03 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

He is charging the 4 hours because he is including if the coilovers are bad/have an issue his time to uninstall and reinstall them again (once the new coils come) he said so next time there will be no charge. More concerned w the ride/quality of the twins now though
If they are brand new coilovers, why would they be bad? Its just sounds like the shop is trying to milk money off of you.

As someone mentioned, Sockets and a floor jack is all you need for a suspension swap. It'll be a good learning experience as well. Down here coilover install is about $120 from a shop and it'll take less than 2 hours.
Old 08-02-12, 04:02 PM
str8lucky
Pole Position

60-80 I've seen in OC/LA
Old 08-02-12, 10:17 PM
HangLoose
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save alot of money dong it yourself when you realize how easy is actually is
Old 08-05-12, 11:50 AM
02msmg3
Advanced

Razzbear have you installed these coils yet/how are they??
Old 08-05-12, 12:07 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

My shop charged me $230......flat rate for all cars for coilover install. And that includes a bit of time to stance it the way you want (lower/higher/preload). etc etc...

Also, just because a shop tells you that coilovers are good,......keep in mind that you're working with a shop that most likely gets better deals if they sell XX amount of coilovers. So keep in mind you may not be getting the proper information. Plus if they say they are good what are they going off of? Do have they have a car with them installed you can ride around in? A customers car?

Where are you located OP?

edit: I have BC coilovers, and get complements every time someone rides in it that uses megans or whatever......999 free shipping and free extenders (30 dollar value) is what I got mine for. If you're looking for a stock feel, get the stock 6/8k springs or whatever comes with the BC......I never been in a car with upgraded swift springs so I cannot comment on the feel so I never upgraded. Would suck to buy them and never feel the difference.

Last edited by SSxblazer; 08-05-12 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 12:42 PM
02msmg3
Advanced

I'm In the Tampa fl area... Yes bcs are what I've read good reviews about....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone running the new Tein street advance.....