Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC racing COILOVERS settings

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 09:30 PM
mikomill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC racing COILOVERS settings

I have BC COILOVERS with the swift springs upgrade coming next week and I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions. I only want to drop the car 1 to 1 1/2 inches and I'm going to install them myself. I would like to know what I should set all 4 coilovers to before I install them ? I know I can adjust them After there on the car but I want to avoid a lot of screwing around with major adjustments once there installed. If I could get close to the 1 1/2" drop on the first try that would be great.
I read that if I only drop it 1 1/2" I should still be able to get my alignment in spec without any additional parts. Is that true?

Thanks for all the help on this. I don't do a lot of work on my car myself but I want to install these so any tips on setting the height befor they are on the car would be very helpful.

Thanks
Michael

Last edited by mikomill; 07-28-12 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-28-12, 09:46 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

of course u should measure and adjust them before you install

i dont think you can get it into spec with that much of a drop , you'll definitely have some camber
Old 07-29-12, 06:55 AM
mikomill
Driver School Candidate

of course i would measure and adjust them but my question is , whats a good starting point? What measurement on the coilovers is stock height for the GS? Im using a jack and jack stands and I've never done this before so if i can set all the coilovers with say 2" of thread showing on them before i install them that would be very helpful.

Whats the most drop i can go and still get the alignment in spec?

thanks everyone
Old 07-29-12, 08:54 AM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start by measuring the stock strut heights (front and rear) while they are compressed on the car and then set your BC height to around the same. The stock springs are softer than the BCs and the BCs will compress an inch or so giving you approximately the drop you want, then adjust as necessary from there. Set the damping in the middle and drive it for a while, adjusting as you like.

For alignment, the issue you will likely have is the rear camber. Talk with your alignment tech when you go have it aligned and if you don't like where it's at, get some rear camber bolts to help bring it in to spec.

Did you get the 10/8 BC springs? Post up some before and after pics showing it off.
Old 07-29-12, 09:51 AM
mikomill
Driver School Candidate

I got the 10/8 swift spring update, the're supposed to ride better than the stock bc springs but we'll see. hopefully it was worth the extra money.

Thanks
Michael

Last edited by mikomill; 07-29-12 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 10:14 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikomill
I got the 10/8 swift spring update, there supposed to ride better than the stock bc springs but we'll see. hopefully it was worth the extra money.

Thanks
Michael
I passed on the swift spring upgrade on my BC coilovers. Unsure if it was a mistake or not.

But I have the stock 8/6k springs. It rides a lot better than it did, lol with a broken strut......

Maybe if I get money to spend I may upgrade to 10/8k swift springs. But I have yet to ride in one to compare.

I have my preload set to 10mm or 12mm in the rear.....and I think 6-8mm in the front. 6 clicks from full hard in front....4 clicks from full hard in rear.
Old 07-29-12, 03:51 PM
mikomill
Driver School Candidate

Why did you go with that much preload? I thought it was supposed to be 3 to 5 mm of preload? Do I need more preload in the rear than the front?