Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover help suggestions...JIC Magic vs. HKS Hypermax 2 vs. Cusco Vs. Toms Advox

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-12, 07:51 AM
bbkbadboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover help suggestions...JIC Magic vs. HKS Hypermax 2 vs. Cusco Vs. Toms Advox

Im currently running Tein CS coilovers and im trying to switch it up to something that goes lower and is stiffer, i was wondering if anyone can help guide me in the right direction, ive been doing some research but im still not sure of which one i want to go with because i couldnt seem to find out the ride height adjustability on them, I definitely want them to go lower than my Tein, i pretty much want to slam it but also have a tight stiff ride, here are the ones i have to choose from:

JIC Magic, HKS Hypermax 2, Cusco, and Toms Advox
Old 06-30-12, 08:07 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JIC would definitely do the stiff part for ya. Cusco is also decently stiff but not as badly overdampened as the JICs. Cusco's are my favorite off the shelf track setup.They could use slightly more spring but the Showa dampener is fantastic for an off the shelf piece. HKS is a good setup that compromises between street and track use best of the options you mentioned. I have no experience with Toms.

Can't comment on "slamming." Not my thing
Old 06-30-12, 10:13 AM
bbkbadboy
Driver School Candidate

Cool thanks Man, which one would you say is most durable and I may not slam the car right away I just would like a coilover that if I ever wanted to it would be possible to do. The Teins I have are basically maxed out and still doesn't seem low enough, well the front is fine but the back sits too high, my top two choices were either the Jics or Hks, I was thinking Cusco as an option too but i imagine it would be hard to find a place to rebuild them if needed
Old 06-30-12, 10:42 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't comment on longevity but both are reputable brands. All 3 are probably the same difficulty with rebuild/revalve. Meaning, none are easy to get rebuilt but there are places that will do it. JIC would be the toughest because IIRC they need to be sent overseas (a Z buddy of mine had years back)
Old 06-30-12, 11:22 AM
bbkbadboy
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your help, all of the coilovers i've found were basically around the same price so it was kind of a tough decision, but from the sounds of it i should go with the HKS hypermax, i just mainly want something street/track, that can also handle these bumpy roads down here without being a PITA to drive, that will also adjust lower than the TEIN CS
Old 06-30-12, 09:33 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BC Racing coilovers with swift springs,m they will go lower than any of those and ride better and cost less, trust me

Hit us up and we can do a custom kit for you.
Old 06-30-12, 11:23 PM
bbkbadboy
Driver School Candidate

It's too late, thanks anyway I ordered the HKS Coilovers a friend of mine is running BC coilovers on his c63 Amg
Old 07-05-12, 08:03 PM
IN2LXUAL
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you won't be disappointed with the hks but i do wish they went lower
Old 07-09-12, 02:33 AM
bbkbadboy
Driver School Candidate

Yea, they only thing I'm afraid of is that the ride height wouldn't be low enough, if they at least go lower than my teins I could live with that
Old 07-15-12, 07:07 PM
bbkbadboy
Driver School Candidate

Update: I finally got the HKS on but something doesnt seem right the backs are able to adjust really low but even on the stiffest setting they still feel soft, the fronts are adjusted low as it can go and still has an inch of wheel gap but it rides pretty good and feels stiffer than the backs even on the softest setting, as of right now the back is sitting lower than the front even with the back having a lot of adjustment left, I was wondering if because of how it's sitting is it possibly transferred most of the weight to the rear causing it to feel like this
Old 07-30-12, 11:49 PM
zerodragon
Driver School Candidate

i like my cusco set up rides really nice with bumps and on the track as well
Old 07-31-12, 05:18 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Love my cuscos 4 years with no complaints
Old 08-02-12, 04:41 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I recommend Tein Flex if there's "Daily driving" involved, since - unless it's a track only car - you'll be driving on normal roads (speed bumps, potholes, driveway dips, etc.) a LOT more than on the track.

The CS don't go low at all compared to the Flex. Combine that with EDFC and it's a sweet setup. I've had mine on for almost 6 years now, brought them in for a rebuild a couple months ago and they said all I needed to do is wipe the road dust off, because they were fine (no leaks, no maintenance required).
Old 04-05-13, 01:58 PM
scott101
Pole Position

hey, i saw a bunch of you guys saying you like the cuscos.

can you tell me what are the options for cuscos. from what ive seen, you can get them with or without adjustable dampening. do they all come with independent ride height and preload?

heres a picture of the ones im talking about

thanks
scott
Attached Thumbnails Coilover help suggestions...JIC Magic vs. HKS Hypermax 2 vs. Cusco Vs. Toms Advox-kgrhqnhjbee9ps-tp3nbp-4b9yurg-60_12.jpg