Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

coilovers vs shocks/springs - which is more reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 07:27 AM
MamadIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coilovers vs shocks/springs - which is more reliable?

hey guys,

so yesterday i found out that my front driver side shock is leaking and has to be changed. i've playing around with the idea of lowering my car and lately and i think this is good opportunity to have it lowered and improve the ****ty handling of my is350 (non sport package). since day one i hated the way this car handled but haven't done anything about it so i think this is the time to do something.

so my budget is around 600-700 for the parts and i noticed that for that price i can get tokico HP shocks and may be tein ss springs or i can get megan EZ coils. for me reliability is very important i want something that would last (i was kinda surprised to see one of my shocks is leaking at only 110000KM). i drive around 25000 KM a year so i need something that will last for couple of years. i dont drive hard but surprisingly my wife does and she has been complaining about the cornering of this car since day one (we both use the car). so what do you think i should do? i dont care about how lower it goes either i want something reliable with good handling and less body roll (later i will install sway bars). i need help fast guys. thanks
Old 06-23-12, 09:26 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Go Springs and Shocks combo as they will give you nicer ride. Coilover will not deliver nice ride as the spring came with it is very small. Smaller diameter spring will react to the road imperfection much faster than bigger coil spring, And that's where the difference lies.

Shock + Spring Combo should last longer too as some of the Coilover complained that theirs make noise.
Old 06-23-12, 01:26 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are worried about a good replacement and longevity I'd go with the Tokicos and springs, they are a set it and forget it setup. No maintenance, etc.

Hit us up and we can help with a pcakge on that stuff if you'd like
Old 06-23-12, 02:21 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shock/spring combo is more reliable in my opinion. and factually more comfortable.
Old 06-23-12, 05:36 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Reliability is solely based on the car, driver, and driving surface conditions. Given the exact same circumstances for both a shock/spring combo vs a coilover, I'd choose the coilover due to the shock valving matching that of the spring rate of the spring.
Old 06-23-12, 05:52 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ProperD
shock/spring combo is more reliable in my opinion. and factually more comfortable.
Not really , Coils u can adjust the setting to soft or hard or in between and adjust the height, also spring rate. and same comfort if not better
Old 06-23-12, 05:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, what Gville and Blitz said. Coilover will be exactly as comfortable as what you order- while spring/shock you're not only stuck with just the rates available, it's impossible to correctly match a shock to a progressive-rate spring, which just about all aftermarket 2IS springs are.
Old 06-23-12, 06:18 PM
MamadIS
Driver

my problem is with my budget i can only get the megan ez coils and i am not too sure about the reliability. are those more reliable than say tokico HPs and springs?
Old 06-24-12, 01:04 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Not really , Coils u can adjust the setting to soft or hard or in between and adjust the height, also spring rate. and same comfort if not better
lol. what coilover system do you know of that provides the same amount of comfort as stock? especially for under a grand. im speaking from having both coilovers and stock suspension on multiple cars.
Old 06-24-12, 01:07 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

MamadIS, I am using KYB Extage kit. It is springs and shocks combo. Spring and shock are matched by KYB test drivers, on road and in the track. Shock is monotube, which is better design than Tokico HP. It has 30 clicks damping adjustable.

I like the way they behave on the imperfected road. They are truly absorbing bumps and potholes. Car leans much less and it handles much better.

The only downside is the ride height is only 1 inch lower than stock.

Check out the website: http://www.kybclub.com/street/Extage/tokucho.html
Old 06-24-12, 01:08 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

For the price 1k and under BC coils are worth it.
Old 06-24-12, 07:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ProperD
lol. what coilover system do you know of that provides the same amount of comfort as stock?.
Any one with the same spring rate as stock, adjusted to the same height as stock.

Pretty much by definition.

This ain't rocket science.

That's one of the many reasons coils are better. You can order the exact spring rate you want, get a shock that is exactly matched to it and as firm as you specifically want, and then put the height at exactly what you want.

If you've only had crappy ride with coils you had crappy coils (or didn't know enough to order what you actually wanted)

Spring and shock on the other hand, especially the progressive springs that are 99% of all 2IS options, gives you an inconsistent ride in comparison, and improperly matched shocks because the spring doesn't hold the same rate throughout it's travel. Plus, height is whatever it is and you're stuck with that.
Old 06-24-12, 08:09 AM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

f sport shocks and springs is what i run which i believe is rebranded bilstein and eibach? havent regret it since i bought it. lowered my car just ride, still rides good, improved handling. My 240sx track car is on coils and that thing will handle like a go kart... it also rides like a go kart. i would say shocks and springs are more practical and reliable for what you want
Old 06-18-13, 05:03 PM
micel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for KYB gas a just monotube shock and f-sport r.2 springs for road use.The shock will be firm until broken in (+-1k miles)around 600$ for parts.