Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

eBay/cheap suspension arms... experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 06:49 PM
Hexxle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay/cheap suspension arms... experience?

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with eBay spec suspension arms? I'm talking front/rear camber, rear traction and rear toe rods. My thoughts are grab me some PBM coils, and then cheap out on arms. I am on a budget here (poor uni student), so keep that in mind, and also that the car isn't going to be tracked or drifted, it's purely so I can slam the **** out the Soarer.

Naturally my instincts say "woh hang on, doesn't eBay spec mean built in a barn by enslaved Chinese children?", but honestly, if anyone has had experience with this stuff, speak up coz I'm not too keen on spending **** loads for Ikeya parts.

The parts in question:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-SU...#ht_3442wt_905

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-SU...#ht_3462wt_905

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-SU...#ht_921wt_1110

All the Soarers in Australia are grandpa spec and ride like a truck, so the Aussie forums don't know this stuff. I've also heard enough opinions on the matter, I'd prefer people experiences.

Cheers,

Alex.
Old 06-16-12, 08:23 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

My boy has been using the front camber arms for a year with no prob & he's slammed
Old 06-16-12, 08:44 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use them.
Old 06-16-12, 09:02 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Instead of the ebay tie rods & traction bars get Megan tie rods & traction bars
Old 06-17-12, 06:58 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have pbm's and you will indeed be able to slam your car, but unless you plan on running some insane offset wheels no need for this stuff... the stock suspension components do just fine and thats why i think there's really no after market for these parts. a better investment would be all poly bushings.
Old 06-17-12, 07:32 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Toe arms are more important than anything else. I have a set of PSM coilovers and the amount that they lower is ridiculous. The issue is you will burn through tires faster than you can flip them with a bad toe alignment. I speak from experience. Some want to run dirty low and in order for a car to be functional, you need to be able to pull your alignment back into factory spec as close as possible.
Old 06-18-12, 05:13 AM
Hexxle
Driver School Candidate

Just another quick question, can anyone suggest an inbetween brand that is a compromise between quality and price? As in somewhere in the middle of **** expensive Ikeya parts and cheap-*** eBay parts? I would prefer to err on the side of caution, seeing as though it wouldn't end well if an arm broke mid flog.

Ty.
Old 06-18-12, 08:56 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I was wondering about this awhile back too.
Old 06-19-12, 07:19 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hexxle
Just another quick question, can anyone suggest an inbetween brand that is a compromise between quality and price? As in somewhere in the middle of **** expensive Ikeya parts and cheap-*** eBay parts? I would prefer to err on the side of caution, seeing as though it wouldn't end well if an arm broke mid flog.

Ty.
Megan. They are reasonably priced suspension components
Old 06-19-12, 08:01 AM
Catracho30
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have pbm coils and have these for front and back. im completely slammed and theses have helped tremendously . ive had them for about a year with no probs. all i need to get now is something to adjust toe and ill be complete
Old 06-19-12, 09:44 AM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Check out battle version. They have some quality stuff & the prices are not bad either.
Old 06-19-12, 11:12 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I've used the cheap ebay parts with no issues at all and I was on k sports almost as low as they go, on an acura legend tho.

What's a good website to find aftermarket parts for Megan racing etc? I've been looking around and it always lists for supras, are they just interchangeable all around?
Old 07-13-12, 09:16 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

When i originally built up my sc300 I did use those ebay arms and they sucked. The fronts are too long so you dont get more neg camber. I had to remove the adjusters and weld the thing fully closed just to get it an 1/8" shorter then stock.

The rear ones must be for a vip car or something cause they where also the wrong length and are short. I'm a fab guy so it was easier to shorten the rear camber arms then try to fix the upper.

Everytime i took the car out to the track the adjusters and the bolts holding them to the uprights would come loose so if you do buy these things, please double check them after you drive around a bit cause they do come loose.

There will be some better arms showing up on the market soon.
Old 07-13-12, 09:47 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

just gonna leave this here...

http://battleversion.com/store/sc-91-00/

can't wait until I have some money to spend
Old 07-15-12, 07:25 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BattleVer
When i originally built up my sc300 I did use those ebay arms and they sucked. The fronts are too long so you dont get more neg camber. I had to remove the adjusters and weld the thing fully closed just to get it an 1/8" shorter then stock.

The rear ones must be for a vip car or something cause they where also the wrong length and are short. I'm a fab guy so it was easier to shorten the rear camber arms then try to fix the upper.

Everytime i took the car out to the track the adjusters and the bolts holding them to the uprights would come loose so if you do buy these things, please double check them after you drive around a bit cause they do come loose.

There will be some better arms showing up on the market soon.
What are you talking about Alex? Are you working on arms too? I know FIGS is working on some or is there something you aren't saying?

Quick Reply: eBay/cheap suspension arms... experience?