Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Evo components on steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 07:19 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo components on steering rack?

Need a quick answer

How can I tell if my car has Evo components on the steering rack?

I have a 1995 sc400, with a steering rack on the way out. About to order a new one but I need to know the difference!
Old 06-12-12, 09:18 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Ordered the one without the components, if I have the evo I'll just put it on my new reman'd one
Old 06-12-12, 09:24 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evo components? guess im a little lost. Are we talking about a Mitsubishi evo???
Old 06-12-12, 09:31 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

ha, im not actually.

EVO = Electronic Variable Orifice for high speed turning dampening.

since i cant link (stupidest rule ever btw) just google "sc300 steering rack evo"

as you can see in the link some are supplied with and without it, i read somewhere online or on a forsale ad that you can just order the normal rack without the EVO and if you have it, you can just swap your EVO solenoid onto it.
Old 06-12-12, 09:36 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bryan767
ha, im not actually.

EVO = Electronic Variable Orifice for high speed turning dampening.

since i cant link (stupidest rule ever btw) just google "sc300 steering rack evo"

as you can see in the link some are supplied with and without it, i read somewhere online or on a forsale ad that you can just order the normal rack without the EVO and if you have it, you can just swap your EVO solenoid onto it.
o yeah that, i call it cloud steering haha. Ummm i was under the impression all of our cars had it but maybe i gotta do some reading.
Old 07-11-12, 12:19 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

hey, bryan... did you ever get your rack? and did you swap over your evo? Im about to order one without the EVO as well and was wondering if i could just swap it on if i do have it also. thanks!
The following users liked this post:
FUZION (07-18-21)
Old 07-11-12, 01:16 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

yep, i bought the rack without the evo and installed it.

every sc300/400 has the evo unit. it doesnt go bad, so theres no sense in buying the rack with the evo unit for 100$ more. the evo unit looks like a soda can/oil filter and unscrews like a oil filter. when you compare your old rack and the new one youll see where it goes because itll have a plastic plug youll have to remove.

cheers
Old 01-13-23, 12:34 PM
Smokey63
1st Gear

I have a question. Does anyone know of a part number for the O ring on the Evo component where it screws into the housing? The Lexus dealer cannot help me at all as there's not even a part number listed for it. This O ring actually goes into the housing and then the Evo component screws on. I have a 95 LS400.
Old 02-13-23, 04:02 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

This is interesting. I had no idea. Would we then possibly benefit from eliminating the EVO system? Maybe a Supra rack would feel more direct and engaging??

Nick
Old 02-13-23, 09:13 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
This is interesting. I had no idea. Would we then possibly benefit from eliminating the EVO system? Maybe a Supra rack would feel more direct and engaging??

Nick
Nick-- I'm not 100% sure of this but I think the 1992-2002 Supra MKIV's also have an EVO unit on their rack? I don't think it has anything to do with numbing steering feel. Already our hydraulic rack cars have more natural steering feel than most modern electric rack cars.

The main difference you would have with a LHD Supra rack (other than the rebuilt kit seals being different for it vs the SC300/400 rack) is that the steering ratio is something like a .1 or .2 faster ratio than the SC gets. Not very noticeable.

A RHD Supra has a slightly faster rack than the LHD USDM Supra and so does a RHD Soarer JZZ30/UZZ30. The fastest of all racks is one from a RHD Soarer UZZ32. All incompatible with our cars of course but for what it's worth there were faster ratio racks made for this chassis series... just only for the RHD cars.

I don't know if the UK market 1993-1996 Supra MKIV's got the same slightly faster ratio steering rack as the Japanese Supra MKIVs but it's possible if Toyota wanted to save on additional manufacturing costs.

The ratios for all the SC, Soarer and Supra MKIV PS racks from LHD to RHD are posted in a thread somewhere on the forum.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-13-23 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 12:40 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Very insightful, Craig! Thanks buddy.

It’s interesting for sure, that the ratio of the racks would differ so much. The demands of the Togue I suppose, dictate a faster rack? All the same, cool stuff!

Does anyone know definitively if the MKIV Supra rack does have the EVO? And, Craig, can you elaborate on what exactly the EVO system does? Someone commented that it was a numbing agent to the steering, but you seem to have a different take…

Nick
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (02-14-23)
Old 02-14-23, 08:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Nick,

I don't know the reasoning behind the EVO component, sorry. Now you've made me interested to learn about it.

As for the RHD Soarer and RHD Supra MKIV steering rack ratios being faster, yes I think it may have to do with Toyota engineers and testers deeming the faster ratios more appropriate for Japan and for the Supra MKIV the additional European market. There WERE some LHD European market Supra MKIVs for Germany and Switzerland at least and so I wonder if those racks (very rare) are any different from the American market cars. For the U.S. and Canadian markets I think Toyota/Lexus wanted slightly longer ratios because... well... we don't tend to have an overabundance of curvy roads here.

As an example... several years ago I rented a Mazda 2 hatchback. It had a VERY short steering ratio. I loved it but two hours on a straight highway made it feel a bit darty with its short and narrow wheelbase. I can imagine that when developing the American market SC300/400 for luxury buyers Lexus wanted this aspect toned down a bit. For the Supra MKIV I see less of a reason for this but it was done for that one in NA as well.

As to whether the Supra MKIV LHD rack fits an SC? I am not sure. You'd think it would logically but I would search for "SC rack into MKIV" on Supraforums and "MKIV rack into SC" here. I think most people just go with the OEM rack for their car.