Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front Sway End Link Removal Procedure ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 06:15 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Sway End Link Removal Procedure ?

I posted this on the SC430 forum, but got no response. Since the SC430 and GS430 are similar, I'm hoping someone has some information that will help. Sorry for bugging you guys, but I want to do some work on my front suspension soon. Thanks.

During repair of my Front Shock bushings, it was discovered that the right side end link on front sway bar has a problem with the stud threads being stripped under the nut where the link attaches to the sway. There are two attachment methods - one is the stud that is pressed into the end link, and the other is a bolt that screws into a tapped hole in the end link.

The stud on the stock end link is actually a little too short for the increased thickness of the Daizen sway end area. Only a few threads are available for the nut to clinch.

I need to remove the right sway end link, but noticed that the bottom connection of the end link appears to structurally support part of the bottom of the shock bracket. My concern is that if I disconnect the link from the sway and then drive out the bottom end link stud, the shock will put downward pressure on the bracket and dislodge it. Fyi, I have a drive-on lift, so the suspension is loaded unless I jack up the wheels.

I've Searched but can't find the correct procedure for the SC430. I've removed the rear ones without problems, but the front ones are different.

If anyone knows the proper procedure, please let me know.
Thanks
Old 06-02-15, 11:17 AM
baconcake
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lower control arm won't be pushed too far down but the end link will be hard to remove without raising the arm a little with a floor jack. When putting the new one on you will have to play with the height of the lower control arm to align the holes to get the new end link to slide through. Make sure you tighten the nut on the small pressed bolt slowly as to not strip the few threads there are.
Old 06-02-15, 11:34 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks - I did get a note from Mike at FIGS about the procedure he recommended. I did this:
- Jack up the front wheel off the ground ( I did both at the same time actually)
- Remove the end link bottom bolt that goes through the Lower Control Arm
- Remove the end link top bolts attached to the sway bar
- When installing another end link, I installed the lower bolt first
- Next installed the upper bolts,and I did have to work with the alignment of the top bolts by working with the car height to make sure the top bolt threads weren't damaged.