Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lack of stability and weak brakes on GS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 03:55 PM
jboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of stability and weak brakes on GS430

Hi,

I just got a GS430 and really like the car. However, I have noticed a couple of issue.

First, the car seems to have a distinct lack of stability. For example, in most cars, the car will tend to go straight unless some effort is made to steer it off of straight. This car goes straight, but seems to turn almost too easily, and there is minimal feedback.

Second, the car seems to lack the braking power it should have. Maybe the brakes just need to get broken in, but there were several times I wondered if I was going to stop in time.

Any thoughts on these issues. BTW, the car has 800 miles.

jerry
Old 11-08-02, 04:09 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Steering on the GS is very percise. I would assume that your situation is normal judging from the information given.

As for the brakes, it probably is a break-in issue or probably they're worn out (800 miles only so I don't know)? Reason being: the GS has outstanding brakes.

In any case though, you're still under warranty, so if you feel unsure or unsafe, go to the dealer

I hope that helps and WELCOME TO CLUBLEXUS -- Feel free to ask anything. We're one big helpful happy family.

Last edited by brendanlim; 11-08-02 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-08-02, 05:29 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

When it comes to luxury sedans, not many cars can outbrake the GS.
This sounds like an issue that is specific to your car. Unless, of course, you're coming off a Supra, a Porsche 911, BMW M5, etc.
Cars of that caliber have better brakes.

As far as "regular cars" go, GS is top of the crop, or very close, in braking department.
Old 11-08-02, 05:31 PM
JacobT

Welcome to Club Lexus. You hit the point, the GS suspension/steering design is the weakest part of the car. That's why there're so many serious discussions about the suspension upgrades and steering fine tunes (steering ECU). But we all love the GS4 engine power and exterior design.

The brake system, as far as I know they're OK. But I upgraded mine to SupraTT big brakes after 2 months ownership of GS. I could not even remember what the stock brake feels like There are several group buys for big brake systems in the classified section. I can smell some "upgrades" in the air.
Old 11-08-02, 05:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The brakes can SEEM weak because the car is stinkin' fast AND quiet. You may be trying to slow from higher speeds than you're used to, and the stopping distances and therefore longer. The GS has excellent brakes. Brakes are also VERY dependent on tires, not sure what you have.
Old 11-08-02, 05:41 PM
jboy
Driver

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein
When it comes to luxury sedans, not many cars can outbrake the GS.
This sounds like an issue that is specific to your car. Unless, of course, you're coming off a Supra, a Porsche 911, BMW M5, etc.
Cars of that caliber have better brakes.

As far as "regular cars" go, GS is top of the crop, or very close, in braking department.
The other car is a BMW 740i. It has great brakes especially since it is a BIG car. Most of my sport sedan experience has been in various BMWs, M3 and M5. L6.

jerry
Old 11-08-02, 06:15 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

The brakes are kind of mushy in moderate braking, I too found this. They have plenty of braking power for most folks but just have a different feeling. Once you adjust I think you'll find them adequate. I myself have already cooked the rotors twice so I'm looking for a big brake kit currently. Ap Racing, Endless and Wilwood all offer nice 6 piston caliper upgrades and the Supra calipers are a budget minded upgrade. Now as for the suspension and steering I'm definately not happy with it. It yanks the steering out of my hands on truck ruts although I'm going in for service to resolve the front suspension issue which has been posted here under steering wheel vibration. Hopefully that will help with this but I remember having the issue somewhat when new and the SUPER soft suspension certainly doesn't help. Consider a Tein CS suspension to give you more control of the car without affecting ride quality. TRD also offers sway bars which may help as well.
Old 11-08-02, 07:18 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my brakes work fine, they have saved my **** on the free way many times.
Old 11-08-02, 07:20 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

The brakes have alot of assist so the brakes are working much harder than you think.

I still think it sucks and wish that could be disabled.

R
Old 11-08-02, 07:33 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakes are actually very good

Guru has identified what I think is the problem – it’s the feel. When I first got my GS, I was concerned about the brakes too – just because they have a “mushy” feel compared to some other cars. Don’t let that fool you – the brakes are judged by the automotive world to be “excellent”.

Here are a couple of excerpts:

“And the braking is excellent, superb. The massive front calipers take most of the credit here, as the sedan stops nearly as well as most sports cars. A little more heft to the pedal feel might not go amiss with more aggressive buyers.”

“… and the steering is a little light for sporting tastes, the GS400 still manages to outbrake both Porsche Boxsters and Ferrari F355s and run through the slalom in a Camaro Z28 pounding 67 mph.”

The suspension is another matter – you need to investigate the options available for firming up the handling, there are many – and be sure include the L-Tuned steering ecu.

Welcome to CL!
Old 11-08-02, 07:53 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

screw the feel, how does it stop!!! I know I slammed mine on many times at 60-80 or even 45 in the rain and I really thought I was going to hit them, the car stops SOLID

I would love to see what a nice AP kit would do!
Old 11-08-02, 08:27 PM
power3dfx
Rookie

are you kidding me jboy, ive been in so many other cars, and the gs has some of the best braking ability. it stops only a few feet forward of a corvette! The steering feels a bit light, either get used to it, or let the mod bug hit you. by the way, the brakes are mushy and have alot of travel. Try stopping from 60, not slamming on the brakes but pushing them harder and harder till you eventually hit the end. I promise you that a little grin will show up on your face! (and if it doesnt than something is wrong with the brakes)
Old 11-08-02, 09:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by jpa2400
screw the feel, how does it stop!!! I know I slammed mine on many times at 60-80 or even 45 in the rain and I really thought I was going to hit them, the car stops SOLID

I would love to see what a nice AP kit would do!
Most likely an AP kit wouldn't stop ANY sooner. It's the TIRES that factor into braking, not the pads, the calipers, or the rotors. Those things all factor as far as FADE after repeat stops. They also (along with the lines) affect the brake feel too.

But the stock GS brakes are VERY powerful.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-08-02 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-08-02, 09:39 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Hum.. Just for learning purposes, say my car stopped at 120ft form 60, and I wanted it to stop <105, aside from tires what else can you do? I thought the big sick $3000 aftermarket brakes would make a big difference.
Old 11-08-02, 09:49 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

~$700 supra tt brake probably get you there.

also, if you steering wheel is too loose, get it to the dealership, tell time you want to tighten the pretensioner on the steering (free).

Anh

Quick Reply: Lack of stability and weak brakes on GS430