Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Advice lowering springs vs. Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 11:31 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice lowering springs vs. Coilover

Alright so lets start thing off. Just bout a new 350 and looking to start my work on it. Of course the first thing to do is drop it. But here is where my problem lies. I LOVE the stock ride. (And when I say LOVE I mean LOVE like like a indian kid loves cows) Its so smooth and gentle (ride not the cow).
I want to drop my car but dont know which route to go do I go..
F-Sport Lowering Springs VS. Megan Racing Coilovers
Ive read the reviews on both but still iffy about the feel of the ride. Im leaning more towards the F-Sport 1) price wise and 2) more confident.

One other question if I go with the lowering springs; do I have to buy the F-Sport Shock Absorbers or can I put the lowering springs on my current shocks? If i do use my current shock do I have to worry about my braces craking/breaking

What do you guys think I should do? Which route should I take?
Old 05-21-12, 11:44 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive heard that the ride quality is alright with F sport springs but only if you get the shocks too. With Coils you can adjust the ride quality to as soft or as stiff as you like.

Honestly, go with coils. There are HUNDREDS of threads just like this and I can gurantee that 99% of the people that chose springs either regret it or ended up buying coils. Save yourself the time/money/hassel and just buy coils.
Old 05-21-12, 11:48 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Which are the best ones to go with for pice/performance
Old 05-21-12, 11:52 AM
rprasad916
Driver School Candidate

If u love the ride then stay with stock. I got fsport shocks and spring its kind of stiff but I like the performance and the look
Old 05-21-12, 11:53 AM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a comfortable ride and still lower the car, get good coilovers like TEIN, not megan. I never liked megan, buts thats my opinion. F-sport springs are good value and can be mated to the OEM shock, but it might lead to a uncomfortable ride and might blow the shock over time, since the shock cant go through its full travel. I don't know what braces you are talking about, but i am sure they will not break due to using the OEM shock. You can opt to go for F-sport springs and aftermarket sports shock like Tokico or KYB, but again since they are OEM replacement, they wil blow over time.
Old 05-21-12, 11:58 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KumarBDH
Which are the best ones to go with for pice/performance
Megan EZ street coils are the best budget coils. I'll hopefully be getting a set soon
Old 05-21-12, 12:07 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

the ride will def change with either f sport spring/shocks or megans. if you really love the ride, then you have to sacrifice function over form. no matter which direction you go, coils or springs, you will never retain factory ride quality. i would go with coils bc they are always adjustable in height and stiffness. if you go with f sport springs, might as well get the f sport struts as they are valved for use with the lowering springs. the stock shocks will likely blow faster but more importantly they wont provide proper dampening with the lowering springs.
Old 05-21-12, 02:55 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fsport springs are really good ride quality wise and drop wise if you like minor drop but make sure to get rubber silencers for them
Old 05-22-12, 06:52 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by faisal11ir
Fsport springs are really good ride quality wise and drop wise if you like minor drop but make sure to get rubber silencers for them
Only if you buy the shocks yes, the springs alone will not mimic the oem ride quality. And the new revised springs dont require the silencers
Old 05-22-12, 06:58 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

So I guess coilovers then.
Old 05-22-12, 09:36 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KumarBDH
So I guess coilovers then.
Its the better choice. If you get the Fsport springs (which drops the car about 1 inch all around) you will barely notice the difference while you can adjust the height to your liking with coils
Old 05-22-12, 10:51 AM
03pcoupe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I would just go with coilvers from the start. With just springs you'll eventually blow your shocks, if youre gonna go springs/shocks, you might as well spend a lil bit more and get a system that is fully adjustable to save yourself some trouble. On my old car I got springs installed, then went back and got shocks installed, then decided I didnt want to be so low anymore and had the springs removed... So much time and money would've been saved with coilovers in the beginning, I learned my lesson haha.
Old 05-22-12, 01:42 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a good ride and a solid kit I recommend the BC Racing setup. It's a good quality, has a lot of good features and comes in at the right price.

Hit us up and we can help you get a kit
Old 05-22-12, 04:08 PM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
If you want a good ride and a solid kit I recommend the BC Racing setup. It's a good quality, has a lot of good features and comes in at the right price.

Hit us up and we can help you get a kit

Ok will dm you and we can talk business as for everyone else the input is much appreciated and of your you will have your before and after pics.
Old 05-23-12, 07:54 PM
MistaLex
Driver

I have a question about the F-Sport coils cause I just bough them for my IS. I have the IS350 2007 with sport package, do you guys think it's better I also change my shock or the OEM shock of the 350 sport package are good enought ?

Quick Reply: Advice lowering springs vs. Coilover