Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Inner Tie-Rod nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 07:52 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inner Tie-Rod nightmare!

So, I cant be the only one who goes though these quicker than gas... I've been blowing out the bushings of the inner tie-rods every 6 months and it finally killed my rack in March. I ordered a rack assembly from pep boys because it was over $200 cheaper than everywhere else. Well, the parts are such garbage, the tie-rods didnt even last me 2 months! I put on the FIGS RCA's and bump-steer correcting outer tie-rods last fall to help with the stress on the joints. Needless to say, the FIGS parts are still freakin mint and all my other ball joints are dead. I know the roads suck, but this is getting super ridiculous. I replaced my lower ball joints about a year and half ago, Im pretty sure they are beat now too. I replaced my coilovers last fall, installed TRD caster arm bushings, and even raised my car to help stop blowing these out. I pretty much give up and Im very hesitant to drop $500 on nagisa auto parts. Any input or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks guys, I just have nowhere else to turn to at this point.

Last edited by StarkoS14; 05-14-12 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 08:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i would think u are the only one going through them this quickly,u drifting the gs still right?

i saw your post on FB to mike about some better ones but also saw that he didnt have a solution for you atm
Old 05-14-12, 09:02 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Yeah, I sent Mike an inner tie rod a year or so ago, but still no progress. And yes, Im still drifting it every so often, but the roads are really causing the issue. In the past 2 months, Ive had 1 track day in the rain (barely drove at all), and another track day, where I only had 6 runs that only went around 3 turns. This was about 3 weeks ago and everything started feeling like it was going to **** this past week. About a week ago is when I heard my first clunking noise... Then on Saturday, I hit a bump on the highway and things went super ****ty to the point where I could barely stay in my lane. As of last night, I turned my wheel pulling out of my driveway and heard clunk, clunk, clunk.. Im done driving her after the triple clunks
Old 05-14-12, 09:17 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Oh yeah, I figured I should add this thought.... I read before that people had vibrations up front due to brake calipers sticking, not that mine are neccesarily, but I feel they could use a professional bleeding... Anyway, I have upgraded to ls400 brakes with Project Mu B-series pads (designed for track and street use).. Could the increased braking power have significant effect on the tie-rods? Im thinking yes, because I have removed my front sway bar completely...
Old 05-15-12, 02:42 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

little update.... since I found out that tein uses moog tie-rods for their 240sx applications, I ordered a pair of Moog's from Advance for $100. I had used them before, many sets ago, and they def lasted the longest. Lets see how this mess turns out. :/
Old 05-15-12, 07:48 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont know dude. You seem to be one of the only people that I have heard of with this sort of problem. I have many friends that have been dumped and have not have problems with the inner tie rods. I'm on air and ride low and have only had to replace them due to age once and that was with 70K on them. Plus Im in NYC where roads are just as bad if not worse than in PA.But then again I do have my front sway bar on and dont drift. I would start going through other bushings and components to see if everything is good. What are your alignment specs?
Old 05-16-12, 09:55 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Yeah, you def have equally as ****ty roads. haha... Im sure removing the front sway didnt help me at all, but still... I was rocking all Daizen poly bushings up front, now I only have them on the lower control arm. The caster arm was fitted with the TRD bushing and it was far superior to the daizen bushings. The upper control arm have just factory replacement arms cause I needed new upper ball joints. I'm looking into replacing every rubber bushing up front with the TRD set you can order from Japan. I just feel its the best option without going full race arms.

Front alignment is

-2.5 camber
0 toe

caster isnt equal on both sides. pretty sure the last owner wrecked the right front... maybe thats it?
Old 05-16-12, 02:45 PM
str8lucky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moogs are what I buy, Heard alot of good things about them.
Old 05-16-12, 06:08 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by StarkoS14
Yeah, you def have equally as ****ty roads. haha... Im sure removing the front sway didnt help me at all, but still... I was rocking all Daizen poly bushings up front, now I only have them on the lower control arm. The caster arm was fitted with the TRD bushing and it was far superior to the daizen bushings. The upper control arm have just factory replacement arms cause I needed new upper ball joints. I'm looking into replacing every rubber bushing up front with the TRD set you can order from Japan. I just feel its the best option without going full race arms.

Front alignment is

-2.5 camber
0 toe

caster isnt equal on both sides. pretty sure the last owner wrecked the right front... maybe thats it?
Sounds like something is off. I have more camber than that and running toe and caster in spec. I have no issues with the toe arms. I'm also running all daizen bushings in the front, upper arms aftermarket, and ball joints. Check to see if there are any bent components.
Old 05-16-12, 06:10 PM
gslex719
Driver School Candidate

Im having the same problem and my toe keeps goin wack on me.i keep replacing parts on the suspension I did my lower ball joints twice and now need inner and outer tie rods.but im set up on d2 air ride.
Old 05-17-12, 06:15 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the toe/camber issue was proven by jeff to be a loose camber bolt -- he apparently tightend this with a long torque bar/breaker and it solved his issue.
Old 05-17-12, 09:40 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Originally Posted by justablkv8
the toe/camber issue was proven by jeff to be a loose camber bolt -- he apparently tightend this with a long torque bar/breaker and it solved his issue.
trust me, this is not my issue. I triple checked all my bolts, and they're all fine. I was praying that this was my issue.. then after my 2 inner tie rods went, pretty sure my lower ball joint did too, and probably both.... now when I turn the wheel, I get 2-3 clunks within a second.

[gslex719 Im having the same problem and my toe keeps goin wack on me.i keep replacing parts on the suspension I did my lower ball joints twice and now need inner and outer tie rods.but im set up on d2 air ride. ]

Try my setup, Figs outer tie rods with the bumpsteer spacers. You can feel less stress on the steering like its night and day difference. Im also going back with moog inner tie-rods, from what I hear, they're the best for the money. plus they lasted me the longest before adding the figs outers... i think drifting is my main problem here.. Plus, my front wheels are bent from these ****ty roads, NOT STOKED
Old 05-18-12, 12:15 AM
gslex719
Driver School Candidate

Ya I was looking at the figs outers.thats probly one of my problems I replace all oem and have same problems .i better upgrade!
Old 05-18-12, 07:26 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gslex719
Ya I was looking at the figs outers.thats probly one of my problems I replace all oem and have same problems .i better upgrade!
I picked up the moog parts yesterday and they are wayyy more beefy than oem. The guy at advance said they are redesigned to be a problem solver, so they should be better than oem.. Well, im a believer, Ill throw some pics up later today.
Old 05-19-12, 12:40 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

so, my LEXUS ball joints with 30k miles were shot to **** too. Lets see how these moogs hold up...

Quick Reply: Inner Tie-Rod nightmare!