Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotor Replacment, Aftermarket the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 11:20 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Replacment, Aftermarket the same?

I need front rotors for my IS250. I really don't wanna spend 200 for the OEM rotors. Does it make a diffrence in braking power, noise, durability?..if i just go aftermarket?

Are they any good brands?

Thanks, any Imput would be nice!

AND, I'm using OEM Leuxs pads with it.
Old 05-11-12, 12:26 AM
gemini1
FNM President

Just do your homework on buying aftermarket rotors. Try getting some
slotted rotors. But, that is up to you.
Old 05-11-12, 12:40 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd recommend a set of blank Centric Premium Rotors. Ran them on my old car and had 0 issues. They are pretty good quality and I like the anti-rust coating they apply on them.
I'll definitely buy another set for my IS if I ever need rotors in the future.

$54 on Amazon...
Amazon Amazon

Double check the part number from Centric before you order here
Old 05-11-12, 12:45 AM
BF350
Driver School Candidate

If u using oem pad with oem rotors, for sure it'll be much quieter than most a/m parts, but performance would be a different story
Old 05-11-12, 01:05 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

performance of what? rotor is a rotor, you can buy cheep or expensive same for pads your car will stop at the same distance.
Old 05-11-12, 01:15 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
performance of what? rotor is a rotor, you can buy cheep or expensive same for pads your car will stop at the same distance.
That's what I was thinking...? But I still want a very quiet and comfortable rotor that has the same feel as the OEM rotor.
Old 05-11-12, 01:36 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sallydrive
That's what I was thinking...? But I still want a very quiet and comfortable rotor that has the same feel as the OEM rotor.
Go with the Centric blanks then for sure

There's no need for slotted, drilled, etc.
Old 05-11-12, 03:08 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

How about the annoying brake dust I get from my OEM pads? I'm actually gathering parts to do the same thing. My OEM set up is getting worn. Crossed drilled and slotted are for heat dissipation if I'm not correct. I like the OEM's performance just fine. My IS hasn't even been pushed up to 90mph. I drive pretty chilled, so OEM is best for me.

But like the OP, I don't want to pay OEM prices.
Old 05-11-12, 06:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyD
How about the annoying brake dust I get from my OEM pads? I'm actually gathering parts to do the same thing. My OEM set up is getting worn.
Then get the low-dust OEM pads from sewell.

100 times less dust and the 350 ones are $40 last I checked (not sure on the 250 ones)

Crossed drilled and slotted are for heat dissipation if I'm not correct.
You're not.

Slotted can be useful at the track for removing the glazing you can get from repeated high-speed stops, but it's not useful in normal driving, and it eats pads 25% faster than stock. Slotted is worthwhile for a tracked car for this reason, not a street driven one. (nor is heat an issue in street driving either unless driving down the side of Pikes Peak or evading police pursuit)

Drilled is completely useless. While it does a similar deglaze, in comparison to slotted It actually makes the rotor weaker (and ditto compared to blank), plus, a part designed as a heat sink now has less metal, and it also eats your pads 25% faster than blanks. There is no good reason to ever put drilled rotors on a car other than looks, at the loss durability and service life.

In street use any pads or rotors that can engage ABS (which is all of em) will stop the car in exactly the same distance as any others.

If you want shorter stopping distances you need better tires, not better brakes. The tires is what actually stops the car.

Anyway, I agree with the previous poster... if you don't want to pay OEM prices then centric premium blank OEM replacements will work just fine for a decent bit less cash...
Old 05-14-12, 04:15 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey thanks a lot for the info man.

I will check out the centrics on Amazon. 40 bucks for a set of OEM low dust pads? Sounds like a good deal to me. Can I go to my local Sewell dealer and get member discount? Or do I have order online from CL link somewhere?
Old 05-14-12, 06:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey thanks a lot for the info man.

I will check out the centrics on Amazon. 40 bucks for a set of OEM low dust pads? Sounds like a good deal to me. Can I go to my local Sewell dealer and get member discount? Or do I have order online from CL link somewhere?
I'm moderately sure I've seen them mention their online parts business is kept separate from the physical dealer location, so you can't get the CL price if you just walk in....

If you go here:
http://is.sewellparts.com/

and register an account with your club lexus name, it'll show you the discounted price when logged in...which is usually, but not always, lower than the "regular" online price (sometimes they're the same).
Here's the IS350 low dust pads for example-

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/1886.html
Old 05-15-12, 07:53 PM
skillvsluck
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Centric is actually a decent brand. Haven't had any problems with them, have had them on for 14k. I believe they also make the StopTech big brake kits.
Old 05-16-12, 04:31 PM
sallydrive
Driver

What do you guys thing about the life I have left in my Pads and rotors (Pads about 12K and Rotors about 60K) ?

I get a squeak while coming to a stop, what could it be?
Attached Thumbnails Rotor Replacment, Aftermarket the same?-photo_2-1-.jpg  
Old 05-17-12, 09:18 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I cant see the wear indicators , which would indicate you've gone past them or they are just out of view.

It doesnt look like they've worn enough to be the cause of the squeak. It's probable that you need some more lube between the shims and what not. Feel the face of your rotor with your finger. Does it feel relatively smooth? Or can you feel individual ripples and grooves as you run your finger from the center to the outer edge.

Even with some significant grooves worn into a rotor doesnt mean you need to replace it either. Just use some common sense. Theres a minimum rotor thickness required from OEM, I just dont know what it is off hand. Maybe someone can chime in, but doesnt look like your rotors need replacing.

I had 94,000 on my rotors that I just replaced, and honestly I could have just put new pads and been done with it.

Last edited by 06isDriver; 05-17-12 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-17-12, 05:16 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Well i've been told that they do and don't need to be replaced from several people. So idk anymore.

Does anyone know what that orange yellow stuff on the pad and rotor is, and is there a way I can remove it?