Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best Values for SC Suspension / track measurement

Old 05-02-12, 12:28 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Best Values for SC Suspension / track measurement

HY!

My 97 SC400 drives normaly ok, but, if i want to go a little drift or very closed corners with little more speed, the cars pushes over the front axle the values last year checkt in the Lexus Hall Vienna, the are perfect adjusted if possible near to the original values from the track measurement system.

Gives some recommendation to adjust the suspension to drive it daily and a little bit sporty, but no track? Maybe use the Supra TT values?

My Setup: Bilstein Supra Shocks, rear KYB Supra TT springs, front SC400 OEM spring (lowered sping seat) Supra TT front and rear sway bar. Front 225/45/18, rear 255/40/18.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 05-03-12, 02:04 PM
gambit4000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your alignment should be tailored to your habits, Stock specifications are great for most people, but if you want it to handle differently, You will need to know what to change and which direction. See the pdf here:

http://www.240edge.com/performance/reference.pdf

It's pretty basic, but it has all the needed info. You will have to make small changes and feel the difference in each to find a perfect alignment for you.
Old 05-04-12, 10:06 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

I am no suspension expert in any way, but I have been doing a bunch of research on alignments for track/drift use. But like Gambit said above, you really want to tailor it to your preference.

Front:
Camber - You actually want to run quite a bit of negative front camber, maybe between 1-3 degrees.
Caster - I am not sure what the stock max adjustment is on a SC, but anything up to about 7 degrees would be ideal, the more the better up to about 7-8 degrees. This will help the steering wheel feel planted and centered, and will help the tires gain more negative camber when you turn the steering wheel.
Toe - I have heard you want to run a bit of Toe-out on the front, maybe 1/8 to 1/4inch

Rear:
Camber: For drifting you can run less camber in the rear, this will give you more straight line grip, but for more grip in the corners, you want to run more negative camber, maybe around -.7 to -1 degree
Caster cannot be adjusted in the rear, nor would it really matter
Toe - You want to run just a bit of Toe-In, around 1/8inch, this will help the rear end feel stable.

I hope this helps, or at least a good starting point, but please note the adjustments above would be a pretty darn aggressive setup, not the best for tire wear, but should be a good place to start for track/drift use.

Also note that tire pressure will play a big part in the way the cars feels, and how it handles. you can use a simple IR thermometer to measure the heat on the tire, and this can help you dial in the tire pressure and camber. You would want to do this after a track run, or auto-X run, and you measure the temp of the inside, middle and outside of the tread on the tire. IF the outside temp is hotter than the middle and inner, then you need more negative camber, or if the middle is hotter than both outside tread, you have too much tire pressure. And remember that with normal air in the tires, the pressure will go up as you heat up the tires, so just keep that in mind,

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-08-12, 05:15 PM
XplicitlyR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info, Thanks
Old 05-13-12, 03:53 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

rick, do you have a link where we can read up on that info you just shared? very helpful post, id like to learn a bit more on this matter
Old 05-13-12, 07:16 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the factory caster on these cars? Anybody know offhand? I would be pretty impressed if it was that high but I never noticed very much camber gain when the car was parked a full lock so I didn't think we had much.

I'm betting you can pick up a few degrees of caster with adjustable control arms.
Old 05-13-12, 10:40 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

HY!

Thanks for the informations!

i found for the Supra this original sheet with the values. i wrote also in a german Supra forum, he says, the SC have the same factory values as the Supra

For front all values original, but the camber adjust to -2° or max -2,2° and rear all values original, but the camber near -1,3°. no oversteering more, its too much, comes the rear perfect for street and sporty driver with lowered car.

greets

Tom
Old 05-13-12, 11:45 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If ya really want it to stop pushing in corners and you don't want to go with an alignment that will eat up tires, just buy a stiffer rear sway bar. However, based on my driving experience with this car, I'm suspicious that you are simply braking too late and asking the front wheels to do too much at the same time. These cars are pretty neutral from the factory in comparison to how most factory cars are dumbed down to understeer.
Old 05-14-12, 11:35 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Originally Posted by chargerfan
rick, do you have a link where we can read up on that info you just shared? very helpful post, id like to learn a bit more on this matter
I think MotoIQ.com has fantastic setup tips for suspension and chassis.

http://www.motoiq.com/tech/the_ultim..._handling.aspx

Setting up suspension will always come down to personal preference, but this should be a gret knowledge source and explains beautifully what adjustments do what.

Hope this helps!
Rick