Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Suspension and Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

sc300 feels squirmy at high speeds

Old 04-11-12, 08:32 PM   #1
robsidewz
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default sc300 feels squirmy at high speeds

my sc300 feels squirmy at high speeds idk what to do about this i am low and have traction bars and toe arms alignment is good 0'd out the toe in the rear and pulled out the camber as much as i could ... just finished my 1j swap in my car and wanted to do some high speed runs but whenever i get on the freeway and hit cracks in the road and hit any un-evan pavement or sometimes even going fast just in a straight line feels weird idk .....
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
robsidewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 10:12 AM   #2
sj408
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (6)

It seems we are having similar issues and ive gone over EVERYTHING as well and am starting to think that my LCA bushings are shot. In fact im almost positive thats it.

Have you been able to inspect your lca bushings??? they are a pain to look at but im 90% sure thats my problem.
Old 04-13-12, 10:15 AM   #3
KingPhilip
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (10)

Change all bushings all around if you haven't done it. SC's will never feel right until you swap out all the bushings and mounts.
KingPhilip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 10:57 AM   #4
sj408
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhilip View Post
Change all bushings all around if you haven't done it. SC's will never feel right until you swap out all the bushings and mounts.
so next time i need spark plugs i should do a head job??? or a rebuild???
Old 04-13-12, 11:15 AM   #5
AnonymousG
Pole Position
Trader Score: (2)

My SC feels the same, but I think its how my front coilovers are preloaded, one side has more preload then the others.

haha its wierd how all of us who posted is from CA too.

YellowSpeed Coils - 96 Front - 97+Tails - LED Interior - HID Lows, Fogs, Reverse - SC4 Front Lip - Injen SRI - MKIV DualCore Rad - External Transmission Cooler - NRG/Nardi - BattleVersion subframe bushings - Poly rear dif bushings - BattleVersion modded knuckles - Braided power steering hose - Front & rear Prothane bushings - MKIV swaybars - BattleVersion front swaybar links - S2000 black seats - Kazama engine mounts
AnonymousG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 11:21 AM   #6
sj408
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousG View Post
My SC feels the same, but I think its how my front coilovers are preloaded, one side has more preload then the others.

haha its wierd how all of us who posted is from CA too.
Well my sc felt great for 3-4 years and then just recently i started to notice it being all over the place at high speeds. I really think its either the lca bushings or the rack bushings. so i guess ill be replacing both.

I used to be able to do 120+ with no fear if my car was gonna steer itself into a wall.... on a track of course
Old 04-13-12, 11:52 AM   #7
KingPhilip
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj408 View Post
so next time i need spark plugs i should do a head job??? or a rebuild???
Real funny, but I wasn't talking to you.
Old 04-13-12, 12:25 PM   #8
Tabaka
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (8)

shanetabaka shanetabaka shanetabaka shane_tabaka
Send a message via AIM to Tabaka Send a message via MSN to Tabaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj408 View Post
I used to be able to do 120+ with no fear if my car was gonna steer itself into a wall.... on a track of course
I've never driven faster than 70 in my car. Car feels all over the place and the steering wheel has a funny shake to it. I've had a few different set wheels balanced and the alignment done three or four times on both aftermarket and stock wheels and nothing changes. It feels a little bit better with 55 wall stock tires, but I believe the larger sized tire absorbs some of the road vibration. When I install my 35 wall / 19" wheels....forget it. I usually take back roads to avoid driving at highway speeds. I'm sure all of my bushings are shot and I need to replace my shocks.

1st Gen SC... it's like a hot girl with Herpes, Syphilis, and AIDS
Tabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 01:10 PM   #9
sj408
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhilip View Post
Real funny, but I wasn't talking to you.
We got a private messaging system... check it out some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabaka View Post
I've never driven faster than 70 in my car. Car feels all over the place and the steering wheel has a funny shake to it. I've had a few different set wheels balanced and the alignment done three or four times on both aftermarket and stock wheels and nothing changes. It feels a little bit better with 55 wall stock tires, but I believe the larger sized tire absorbs some of the road vibration. When I install my 35 wall / 19" wheels....forget it. I usually take back roads to avoid driving at highway speeds. I'm sure all of my bushings are shot and I need to replace my shocks.

Yeah definetly sounds like more issue than your tires or alignment themself. Betcha if you inspect everything close youll find more than a few bushings tore up
Old 04-13-12, 04:18 PM   #10
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (4)

I dealt with the same issues for a while.

Low = Suspension Geometry Wrong

You shouldn't be adding pre-load, only zeroing it out.

There are all sort of things that are at the wrong angle (like Sway Bar End Links, Control Arm Ball Joint Angle, etc).
Old 04-14-12, 12:02 AM   #11
Bflatsharp
Driver
Trader Score: (16)

The KING is right . 92 212,000 +, ALL bushings replaced, stance suspension and 19 inch tires 110 mph 2&4 lane
roads. WOW.
Bflatsharp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 11:02 AM   #12
scoobySC3
Driver
Trader Score: (1)

When was the last time the car was aligned on a rack? Also what do you mean by "camber pulled out"?

Couple things to check would be all the suspension bushings, ball joints, steering rack bushings, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, rear subframe bushings.
Also I once had a slightly bent sub frame which was impossible to see, but the alignment never felt right even after multiple times to the alignment shop. I literally replaced everything I mentioned above, and as a last hope I bought a new subframe, after I confirmed all the control arms were straight, the subframe ended up having a slight crease in it, put on a new one and everything was as good as new

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.
Thanks,
Rick
scoobySC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 11:30 AM   #13
KingPhilip
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, another thing, SC's feel slightly squirmy with a -3 camber with wide tires, although -3 camber is still within specs, I guess the wide tires is what's making a difference..
Old 04-25-12, 06:08 PM   #14
KahnBB6
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (3)

I'm having this same problem now myself. I recently had an alignment and I do have to drive over some poorly maintained roads almost every other day but I don't think that's my problem. LCA's haven't been replaced yet but I am considering it. Steering rack bushings were replaced with Daizens a year ago. My tires may be nearing the end of their life but they aren't ready to go yet. I have 245mm front and 275mm rear. Does that contribute to squirminess at 70mph? I'm going down to 235/255 soon.
Old 04-27-13, 08:35 AM   #15
SOLID300
Pole Position
Trader Score: (3)

I have vibration at high speeds. At around 100+ miles an hour my dash begins to shake. Most of my front suspension is new except for a bad inner tie rod on the drivers side.

Im thinking I may need to upgrade to Supra Motor Mounts but mine was replaced only about a year ago.
SOLID300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-13, 08:35 AM

Tags
alignment, car, coilovers, feels, freeway, high, higher, issues, jittering, sc300, send, side, sits, speeds, squirmy, subframe, toe, tracking