Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowest of the Low!!! Coilovers only please!!! IS Second Gen Edition

Old 07-30-14, 08:54 AM
Jaytea
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Baller suspension Jaytea. How do you like them? Any comparisons to other brands like Megan or BC?
I haven't sat in an IS with Megan but I have with BC.

The BCRacing coils feel alright. They are more like a compromise than a replacement directly of stock... Maybe I worded that awkwardly - but what I mean is that BCRacing's dampening is worst than stock, at even the comfiest setting before there is non-existent dampening happening. If you're looking for ride quality AND lowering - you should be aware that the springs that come stock with BC Coils will compromise ride quality. My buddy that has his BCs is currently saving up for a set of Ohlins after he drove mine. His comments were that the Ohlins feel as good - if not better than stock for regular driving - and a whole other level for handling.

The rebound rate of the wheel is noticeable when comparing both sets of coils. I'm not a huge expert, but I can feel the difference - it's kind of hard to explain. This may be because of the Ohlins Dual Flow Valve technology. When I got it installed - because I'm in Toronto - I drove through some gnarly potholes that would usually make me rub, but the Ohlins held their own. They made the potholes feel present - but dampened them to a minor bump compared to the stock suspension which sounded like a land mine went off. This is set 10 clicks off the max stiffness (manual suggests 7 clicks off max stiffness).

The most impressive thing about the Ohlins though is the road magnet feeling you get that most coils don't provide. When driving a twisty road, we compared my buddies BCRacing coils to mine and it was unbelievable. We each turned our suspension 2 clicks away from maximum stiffness and hit the road. The BCRacing coils although good, didn't give me to confidence to put the pedal down around some sharper turns. When going through uneven surfaces the car would shake pretty violently and dampening was almost non-existent. But when we drove mine through the same stretch - he didn't hesitate to put the gas down, and felt that he could have pushed it even more. When hitting the same uneven road - although bumpy, we didn't get the same nauseous feeling we did in his car. Keep in mind we have no other suspension mods and only coilovers were different.

For the price though, I understand why they are priced the way they are. They are more expensive than BCRacing coils w/ swift springs, but in my mind they were so much more worth it. The performance was crazy good compared to my buddies (without swift springs) and even for everyday driving it beats stock suspension. There's a reason why when I was doing research that many people that own Ohlins say they are the best coils for street. It's because they are. I would highly recommend these to anyone!

You truly get what you pay for.
Old 07-30-14, 02:32 PM
rawr2is250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jaytea
I haven't sat in an IS with Megan but I have with BC.

The BCRacing coils feel alright. They are more like a compromise than a replacement directly of stock... Maybe I worded that awkwardly - but what I mean is that BCRacing's dampening is worst than stock, at even the comfiest setting before there is non-existent dampening happening. If you're looking for ride quality AND lowering - you should be aware that the springs that come stock with BC Coils will compromise ride quality. My buddy that has his BCs is currently saving up for a set of Ohlins after he drove mine. His comments were that the Ohlins feel as good - if not better than stock for regular driving - and a whole other level for handling.

The rebound rate of the wheel is noticeable when comparing both sets of coils. I'm not a huge expert, but I can feel the difference - it's kind of hard to explain. This may be because of the Ohlins Dual Flow Valve technology. When I got it installed - because I'm in Toronto - I drove through some gnarly potholes that would usually make me rub, but the Ohlins held their own. They made the potholes feel present - but dampened them to a minor bump compared to the stock suspension which sounded like a land mine went off. This is set 10 clicks off the max stiffness (manual suggests 7 clicks off max stiffness).

The most impressive thing about the Ohlins though is the road magnet feeling you get that most coils don't provide. When driving a twisty road, we compared my buddies BCRacing coils to mine and it was unbelievable. We each turned our suspension 2 clicks away from maximum stiffness and hit the road. The BCRacing coils although good, didn't give me to confidence to put the pedal down around some sharper turns. When going through uneven surfaces the car would shake pretty violently and dampening was almost non-existent. But when we drove mine through the same stretch - he didn't hesitate to put the gas down, and felt that he could have pushed it even more. When hitting the same uneven road - although bumpy, we didn't get the same nauseous feeling we did in his car. Keep in mind we have no other suspension mods and only coilovers were different.

For the price though, I understand why they are priced the way they are. They are more expensive than BCRacing coils w/ swift springs, but in my mind they were so much more worth it. The performance was crazy good compared to my buddies (without swift springs) and even for everyday driving it beats stock suspension. There's a reason why when I was doing research that many people that own Ohlins say they are the best coils for street. It's because they are. I would highly recommend these to anyone!

You truly get what you pay for.
Great review, I was actually thinking thinking of changing up my suspension. Will definitely look into those coils.
Old 07-31-14, 08:39 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rawr2is250
Great review, I was actually thinking thinking of changing up my suspension. Will definitely look into those coils.
Yes that is indeed a great review. Even better that you were able to compare with your friend who has the same suspension modifications, but from different manufacturers. Were you guys running similar tires too?

I have to say that I agree with the dampening on the BC coils. I have BCs with Swift springs as well. While I think they're much better than the HSD coils on my coworkers EvoX, I have no doubt that the Ohlins far surpass them. Thanks for the detailed review Jaytea!
Old 07-31-14, 08:54 AM
Jaytea
Driver

Yea we have similar wheel specs, both running 20s, and about degree of camber difference. In fact I think his wheels are a little heavier than mine!
Old 08-02-14, 02:45 AM
DonLex123
Rookie

Default BC Coilovers With Swift Springs

Definitely not as low as some of you guys but I'm happy. I think once I install a lip kit and possibly a Wald rear spoiler it will look much better.

Old 08-12-14, 11:42 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

lowest of the low on coilovers, sure ill play since i went down another 1\2"

Old 08-19-14, 08:34 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
lowest of the low on coilovers, sure ill play since i went down another 1\2"

Dope *** ride bro
Old 08-19-14, 09:12 AM
Jaytea
Driver

Man, if Canada didn't have such brutal winters resulting in atrocious roads I'd be tempted to go lower
Old 08-19-14, 05:12 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FreshIS250
Dope *** ride bro
thanks brotha
Old 08-24-14, 10:40 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not even that low, but what the hell

[img]

Old 08-25-14, 07:59 AM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get low

Old 08-25-14, 09:29 AM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

I'm going to lower mine down way more, take a some pics and post

jk- wish I had time to do that. How many of you static guys drive as low as some of these pics posted? Mine is barely driveable the way it is
Old 08-25-14, 11:58 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwjohnd
I'm going to lower mine down way more, take a some pics and post

jk- wish I had time to do that. How many of you static guys drive as low as some of these pics posted? Mine is barely driveable the way it is
Here is proof...driving! The trick is to drive carefully and to just know you're gonna rub underneath (I had the F Sport chassis brace) and turn up the BUMP in the trunk!
Attached Thumbnails Lowest of the Low!!! Coilovers only please!!! IS Second Gen Edition-rolling-shot-bos.jpg   Lowest of the Low!!! Coilovers only please!!! IS Second Gen Edition-bay-bridge-rolling-shot.jpg  
Old 08-25-14, 02:06 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks good regardless thanks for the contribution

Originally Posted by dfwjohnd
Not even that low, but what the hell

[img]

Old 08-25-14, 02:53 PM
dfwjohnd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Here is proof...driving! The trick is to drive carefully and to just know you're gonna rub underneath (I had the F Sport chassis brace) and turn up the BUMP in the trunk!
hahaha awesome! I guess, I'll just have to get over it from a mental standpoint and turn that volume up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowest of the Low!!! Coilovers only please!!! IS Second Gen Edition