Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

At what drop do you start needing camber kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 04:12 PM
Gelux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question At what drop do you start needing camber kits?

Reason I ask is, I am planning on getting some BC coil overs, It looks like I will drop my car for about 2", with a 18 inch wheels. I was planning on buying the SPC arms and rear adjusters, right along with the bushing for the other parts like the lower control arms, sway bars, steering rack, strut bars,linkages,lower ball joints,ECT. I believe this to be a middle drop. Not to aggresive but a nice compromise.
Will this SPC suffice or should I look at other brands mention, Like figs or megans. Are toe in kits more inportant?

Last edited by Gelux; 04-09-12 at 04:29 PM. Reason: toe ins
Old 04-09-12, 05:11 PM
Gelux
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I guess I asked the wrong question, since nobody has responded yet. Maybe I need to ask it differently or do more more reasearch?
Old 04-09-12, 07:56 PM
RoninEng
Driver

Man I wanted to see what people said on this too, I'm going mod drop like you and just doing lower bjs and rear spherical bushings in camber arms, everything else looks kosher. Hopefully someone chimes in cause I was just going to do rear camber adjusters and call it a day
Old 04-09-12, 08:03 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

same here...my thread is a little different but I'm curious to know if the 1.77"/1.73" drop would be enough to require a camber kit. I have Tein stech springs with KYB GR2 struts.

Last edited by kphu; 04-09-12 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 08:39 PM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any drop will require a camber correction kit. Especially up front. On the rear, they can try to zero out camber if you get adjustable toe and traction rods.

I have little to zero camber on my rear. Fronts are a diff, story.
Old 04-10-12, 03:32 PM
Gelux
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by justablkv8
Any drop will require a camber correction kit. Especially up front. On the rear, they can try to zero out camber if you get adjustable toe and traction rods.

I have little to zero camber on my rear. Fronts are a diff, story.
Thanks for the reply, now I did some research and look for the adjustable toe and traction bars and megan did not have for 2000 GS400, so I email them. They told me no, they do not have, I did some more research and the only wants I found were from Japan, and boy way expensive.
So does anybody know of more affordable ones.
Old 04-10-12, 05:57 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gelux
Thanks for the reply, now I did some research and look for the adjustable toe and traction bars and megan did not have for 2000 GS400, so I email them. They told me no, they do not have, I did some more research and the only wants I found were from Japan, and boy way expensive.
So does anybody know of more affordable ones.
Search FIGS Engineering on Google.
Old 04-10-12, 07:44 PM
Gelux
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by lexusben
Search FIGS Engineering on Google.
Thanks for your reply, i guess I just found them link for figs toe adjustements for rear, hopefully this are it. http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...&product_id=63 also I guess I need this ones to, the traction bars? to adjust camber on back, they look more complex than the spc camber bolts. http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...&product_id=64

Last edited by Gelux; 04-10-12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 05:35 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Gelux, let me know where your sourcing the bushings from.
Old 04-12-12, 08:44 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The factory setup has enough adjustment for a 'moderate' drop, usually up to about 1-1.5". Much beyond that, you need RCAs, adjustable arms/links etc.
Old 04-12-12, 09:33 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
The factory setup has enough adjustment for a 'moderate' drop, usually up to about 1-1.5". Much beyond that, you need RCAs, adjustable arms/links etc.
+2 on this. You don't need to go all out for a moderate drop.

As far as correcting camber in the rear i'd just get FIGS Mega Arms. That's going to give you the most camber correction. Traction Rods aren't really necessary. Get the Toe Links and Mega Arms for the rear and you'll be fine.

As far as the front i'd get the FIGS Spherical Bushings for your LCA and upper arms i'd hit up Studio. I heard SPC isn't all that great from a lot of research of my own.

This is also straight from Mike @ FIGS when I was asking him questions about suspension and I lay frame to the ground. Probably 2-3 inches lower than you're planning to do.

"I do not like the so called rear RCA kits. They are not an RCA at all and do not impact the roll center. They do drop the shock down, that is it.
The MEGA arms offer sway adjustment and shock alignment plus they do assist in traction. with the spherical bearing replacement. It makes the rear end much quicker to locate.

The Trac rods I would skip, I only suggest these for people that have replaced the toe links and MEGA arms ior if you require more camber."
Old 04-12-12, 03:04 PM
Gelux
Driver School Candidate

Kphu, I am in the process of looking to get the trd~s from jdm. I started a seperate thread to see if anyone has used all of the bushings cat #s I quoted.

There is some threads with a metioning of trds from japan.
For the critical areas of the suspension, like the front lower control arms and the rear Lower and upper and the axle carrier.

Some have installed the Rocas, I am very curious about them, waiting on more feed back if I can not get them from JDM for at least the lower control arm #1 and #2.

LuxuryGS3, thanks for your reply. I take it, I only need the arms and the links as you have stated with the 2 " drop, I guess maybe 3" to 4". Do I still need the RCA`s? I will be using the BC`s for the drop.
Old 04-12-12, 05:49 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gelux
Kphu, I am in the process of looking to get the trd~s from jdm. I started a seperate thread to see if anyone has used all of the bushings cat #s I quoted.

There is some threads with a metioning of trds from japan.
For the critical areas of the suspension, like the front lower control arms and the rear Lower and upper and the axle carrier.

Some have installed the Rocas, I am very curious about them, waiting on more feed back if I can not get them from JDM for at least the lower control arm #1 and #2.

LuxuryGS3, thanks for your reply. I take it, I only need the arms and the links as you have stated with the 2 " drop, I guess maybe 3" to 4". Do I still need the RCA`s? I will be using the BC`s for the drop.
Thanks Gelux...I'm in the same boat as you...trying to figure out what to replace on my car. I get some vibration on highway speeds above 60...no clunks or anything but I know my alignment is off. I have an '02 GS430 at almost 75K on the odom so since I need to address the alignment issue I figure I get some of the stuff replaced while I'm at it...although I would like to fix it sooner then later so that I can get my new 19s on. Sucks to look at them everyday and not have them on my ride.

If i recalled correctly the ROCA bushing didn't seem to be that great at least that was the impression I got from reading the various threads here.

I noticed on TMEngineering's website their selling a Daizen lowerball joint and tod rod end set for $250...anyone purchased these before?
Old 04-12-12, 05:57 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Gelux...just saw this on Sewell lexus website.

Bushing Set: Front Trailing Arm

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2002/4685.html

Last edited by kphu; 04-12-12 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 06:07 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TM engineering can get them, but they'll take forever to get them to you. There's 100's of threads on the highway shimmy, but I'll condense that for you, especially since you're a fellow new englander and you should get back to watching the B's

-ball joints
-tie rod ends (inner and outer)
-steering rack bushings to poly (Big culprit here)
-control arm bushings to poly (or arms themselves if they've had it)
-tires balanced, check wheels for any bends
-4 wheel alignment

if you do all that and it's still there, I'd have doubts about the straightness of your front subframe.

Quick Reply: At what drop do you start needing camber kits?