Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

$2,000 to spend, what coilovers? SC300

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 12:02 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stance coils , best bang for the buck.
Old 04-18-12, 09:50 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's got 2k to spend though. He obviously wants a good/high quality set up. I'd say PBM. Just look at them!
Old 04-18-12, 10:26 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSIN
all the coils u guys listed SUCK

tiens like to rust and so do the stance's kw are made for road racing but are a good coil

if i were u id get a set of cusco, zeal function , or tom's advox or even PBM's
Depending which KW you are talking about. Their V1-V3 is a good dampener combined with a not-so-desirable progressive rate spring on top. Progressive rates are great for street but linear can't be topped in racing. The Clubsports, however are an exception.

Cusco's are my favorite setup and what I have personally raced for a few years now. The adjustment range is easily the most aggressive adjustment of any japanese coilover. They have fewer notches then Tein but they go from quite soft to brutally stiff in just 1 turn.

Zeal's are a pipe dream. I've driven on a set for a 350Z and they are the perfect street/track compromise coilover. Expensive. VERY EXPENSIVE. I'm not sure what they go for nowadays but I remember them being well over $2000 for a 350z several years back.

Can't speak about PBM or Tom's from experience but they're praised highly.

Still, I stick with my original gixxer_drew recommendation. Unlike the china/taiwan coilovers, you get a truly exceptional dampener with the ability to be rebuilt and revalved by just about any shop. Besides Koni's (arguably), there is no more versatile dampener out there than Bilstein.
Old 08-23-13, 10:38 PM
RicoLSX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Still, I stick with my original gixxer_drew recommendation. Unlike the china/taiwan coilovers, you get a truly exceptional dampener with the ability to be rebuilt and revalved by just about any shop. Besides Koni's (arguably), there is no more versatile dampener out there than Bilstein.
I've spent some time reading through threads, researching options, Teins/BC/KW/HKS/etc. as I had the same thought as the OP with regards to how much I'd have to spend to get a decent adjustment capabilities but still keeping street comfort (its a DD).

The statement about the ability of the Bilstein's being able to be rebuilt by just about any shop or maybe being more readily available resonates in my mind as my car is a DD which will see 12k-15k miles of use per year. I don't want to go with a setup where if it ever breaks down the car will have to be out of commission for an extended period of time as it would be harder to locate replacements.

On the other hand, threads I have read on the gixxer_drew set up have mentioned its only meant to lower the car by a small amount due to the length of the shock being meant for stock height cars. Does anyone know the "safe" max drop you can get on the gixxer_drew set up without compromising the life of the strut?

EDIT: I should mention I'm not looking for a hellaflush or super stanced out look. I'm not looking to run insane neg camber either, but I do want a "moderate" drop over the stock 4x4 stance.

EDIT AGAIN: OK, I found that Drew states 1.5" max is a comfortable drop for that. Most of the pictures I've found of the set up the owners have preferred to leave it at "OEM" height (aka 4x4 still) so I haven't found a good idea of what 1.5 would look like...Time for another couple hours of thread searching

Last edited by RicoLSX; 08-24-13 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 02:03 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have over 250K on my Tein Flex w/ EDFC & they still drive great. No oil leaks & haven't had them rebuilt yet... Just my .02!
Old 08-27-13, 11:08 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Id say PBM.
Old 08-27-13, 11:15 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

stance coils are awesome

you could also get the BC and pocket the extra 1k
Old 08-27-13, 12:02 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys that are saying "PBM" are you actually running or have you ran pbms? or are you just passing off what youve heard?
Old 08-27-13, 09:24 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Just installed Tein Street Flex; did get about 2 inches lower and playing around with the settings going from soft to hard.... Rides is better than I expected but have not changed out the wheels/tires as yet.

There really are a lot of choices and the good thing seems if you do not like your choice you can always go with another one and sell the first one..... Usage surely has a lot to do with the wide opinions of the members....
Old 08-27-13, 10:33 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

300ZXSC300: What is your future plan for the car? Looks? Track? just Daily Driver? You can decide from there. $2K is a lot of $$$. I just have Espelir lowering springs on mine with Tokicos. I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 08-28-13, 11:31 AM
Forte EXE
Pole Position

Im running Powered By Max and have been running them since 2010. Probably have put about
20k on them so far. No leaks, still performs like they did the day I bought them. I got them only
because they are on the stiffer side (at the time, before BC came out with custom spring
rates) and they go pretty low.

My fronts are set at the highest and the rear still has about 3/4 inch of threading left. Plus they can be rebuilt here in the US (San Diego).

I think the current spring rates are the same across the board for the SC atleast, at 18k/12k.

Heres my car at the current height.

My friend (taznific3nt on here) was also running PBM, but the newer versions.

Both of our cars have been midly slid and some spirited driving done and we love them.

Last edited by Forte EXE; 08-28-13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-29-13, 08:01 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I have gixxer setup here too, the awesome thing abouth this you can run any type of supra spring or make it a coilover. Even with the spring setup(not coilover spring) you have a half inch adjustment up or down after you drop , and ability to go with different rate springs and rebuild, makes bilstein the best!!

Here is a note to you: with soft setup/mash potatoes riding sc low will not only eat your tires, but you will be scraping all over, bottoming out..., with firm setup you won't have that issue, and it will handle awesome too!!!
Old 09-02-13, 01:51 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Forte EXE
Im running Powered By Max and have been running them since 2010. Probably have put about
20k on them so far. No leaks, still performs like they did the day I bought them. I got them only
because they are on the stiffer side (at the time, before BC came out with custom spring
rates) and they go pretty low.

My fronts are set at the highest and the rear still has about 3/4 inch of threading left. Plus they can be rebuilt here in the US (San Diego).

I think the current spring rates are the same across the board for the SC atleast, at 18k/12k.

Heres my car at the current height.

My friend (taznific3nt on here) was also running PBM, but the newer versions.

Both of our cars have been midly slid and some spirited driving done and we love them.
awesome, thanks for your insight. i bought a set of PBMs coilovers back in 09 and later had second opinions on them based on how hard/harsh i heard they are.

disclaimer: yes i understand pmbs are competition and that 'if you want comfortable dont get coilovers' but there are some coilover setups that are more comfortable than others.
Old 09-02-13, 02:35 PM
RicoLSX
Driver

After doing some searching, I understand that the Tein Comfort Sports are no longer made for our chassis? Anyone here have KW V3's on their SC?
Old 09-04-13, 12:35 AM
Swint
Rookie

I don't mind my Megan EZ streets at all. They are actually a very comfortable ride.

Quick Reply: $2,000 to spend, what coilovers? SC300