Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Feels like its gonna shake apart

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 11:19 AM
RAMGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Feels like its gonna shake apart

I'm brand new to this forum. Have already found a lot of posts a great help. I have a '04 GS300. 125K Miles. I take extremely good care of my car. The engine is running fine as well as the transmission but I recently was on the highway, the wheel started shaking violently. I pulled over, thought I had a flat, nothing wrong with my tires, they're not even wearing uneven. It seems way to violent to be rotors or misalignment. I read some other posts about notorious problems with the GS and they mentioned the steering rack. I was also thinking maybe I have some break or shock issues because when I start from a light it creeks like an old machine trying to move for the first time in years!

I'm all ears. Let me know if I didn't provide enough info. Just trying to get some ideas. Scared to take it to the dealership, looking for a trustworthy mechanic who will use quality parts and has experience with toyota lexus. Thanks for all your help!
Old 03-28-12, 11:20 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

maybe a dented rim. Did you hit anything??
Old 03-28-12, 11:21 AM
RAMGS300
Driver School Candidate

Nah, never and at first the problem would come and go, now I can drive, just not on the highway. When I get to around 60 mph's the violence begins!
Old 03-28-12, 05:17 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Get it liftedin the air and inspect ur bushings on the steering rack, caster arms, and lowerballjoints. I replaced all of these and now my steering wheel is solid at any speed. Best thing to do is a visual inpection before u start replacing stuff. My shakes could be different from urs and so on...

Could be missing a weight on a rim... Could be missing a few studs from the rotor... Could be a lot of anything
Old 03-29-12, 07:26 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

replaced every part there is a name for. At 60 car feels like its falling apart. Welcome to the HUGE shakers club.
Old 03-29-12, 07:42 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are your tires balanced?
Old 03-29-12, 08:24 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Look out for that lower ball joint!! Or maybe a bent rim
Old 04-01-12, 01:13 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

yep same old advice that won't cure anything.
Old 04-11-12, 06:38 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Jack the front end up, grab the tire and give it a shake. Off out moves your control arm bushings are probably done. This was my case. Replace, align, enjoy
Old 04-12-12, 08:43 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
yep same old advice that won't cure anything.
Don't listen to negative nancy here, it IS curable.

Originally Posted by jriggs
Jack the front end up, grab the tire and give it a shake. Off out moves your control arm bushings are probably done. This was my case. Replace, align, enjoy
Your biggest culprits will be the following:

-Lower Ball joints (search for pics on what happens when these fail..yeesh)
-Control arm bushings (upper AND lower)
-Tie rod ends (inner AND outer)
-Steering rack bushings
-Wheel Bearings

Do the creaks when taking off from a stop come from the front or rear? I'm assuming front as this is where your problem is. This also signifies a bushing issue.
Old 04-21-12, 10:33 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Yep replaced all that and then some. Still shaking.,,3 sets of rims and tires later.
Old 04-22-12, 08:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep replacing bad rims and tires with more bad rims and tires, and you'll continue to have shakes.

There are only two things that can cause vibration - unbalanced rims and tires (could be a simple fix by just getting a balance, but could be something more complex, such as a bent rim, out of round rim, out of round tire).

The other thing that causes vibration that is if your rim/rotor isn't properly installed onto the hub. People don't even realize how often it happens, but your rotors rust, and that rust gets between the rotor and hub, and rotor and rim, causing the wheels to wobble as you drive. When you repeatedly remove your rims, rust collects between the rotor and the hub, and you can't see it until you remove the rotor. I strongly suggest checking that.

The rest of the suspension could be completely shot and wont cause any vibration if the two things above are in proper order.

P.S. If the shake is extremely violent, could be stuck brake caliper.

Last edited by Och; 04-22-12 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 07:55 AM
RAMGS300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up replacing my lower control arms because uppers were recently replaced as well. Didn't fix the problem one bit. Had the car reinspected at 2 diff shops, got a free alignment and still nothing. Finally broke down and took it to the dealership, stuck brake caliper........Running beautifully, chalk the control arm repairs up to preventative maintenance now that I'm at 125K miles. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 04-23-12, 08:00 AM
RAMGS300
Driver School Candidate

Default From now on, I will be asking you first......

Originally Posted by Och

P.S. If the shake is extremely violent, could be stuck brake caliper.
Och,

You were dead on. It took the dealer to figure out the issue, got my brakes inspected twice. In Chicago with no reliable place to go but the dealer. Such a shame. I will be investing a lot of my time in the future learning as much as I can about my car because I will have it forever. I greatly appreciate your feedback and advice.

RAM
Old 04-28-12, 07:16 AM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

mine just started the shakes as well and im leaning towards the brake caliper as well since all my suspension parts are replaced as well except inner tie rods and from what i researched the tranny mount can cause vibrations/shakes.

Quick Reply: Feels like its gonna shake apart