Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Left & Right axles blown at 50k PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 11:44 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left & Right axles blown at 50k PLEASE HELP

07 IS250 AWD 50k miles, bought it off lease 2 years ago at 27k. I am lowered on BC coils. Just had the summer wheels put on at a local tire shop. The guy tells me my R/F axle is starting to leak and my L/F axle is blown. Something about the boot being ripped open and is leaking fluid. Quoted me at $2500 with OEM parts. So I take it to lexus today and spoke to the service manager. They didnt have time to put it on the lift and inspect themselves, told me to come back. I spoke to 2 mechanics and they said lowering the car on coils shouldnt have caused that. What do you guys think? Is this something common? The lexus service man jumped when I told them I was going to call corperate on this matter. He also said that because I havent had it serviced there since I bought it that it could be a problem.

Last edited by flektone; 03-24-12 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 11:52 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Also im not to technical when it comes to this. But i remember reading something about CV boots and what not blowing. If anyone can tell me if this is from lowering the car I would appreciate it. I will remove the coils so it will never happen again. thanks
Old 03-24-12, 12:03 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

A torn cv joint boot can tear because of many reasons. You cant blame them on your coils because you cant be sure of it. The boots are made of rubber, and rubber over time degrades and tears, especially when its exposed to the elements. Road salt during winter seasons and high heat from the summer season will wear them down further. Good luck.
Old 03-24-12, 12:18 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

Not sure exactly what he meant by "blown"?

If the boots are damaged, replace the boots? That's not $2500. If you need an axle it's going to cost, but it would have to have been leaking for a long time/be making noise, etc, before you'd need a new one.

Jeff
Old 03-24-12, 12:20 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I think I read on here that lowering awd to much could mess them up. How low are you?
Old 03-24-12, 12:36 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AWD = front axles different?
Old 03-24-12, 12:37 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had you ever heard a popping/clicking sound when turning? It could be fixed with a new boot and grease if the CV joint isn't broken.
Old 03-24-12, 12:44 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Not sure exactly what he meant by "blown"?

If the boots are damaged, replace the boots? That's not $2500. If you need an axle it's going to cost, but it would have to have been leaking for a long time/be making noise, etc, before you'd need a new one.

Jeff
idk, he said one boot was ripped open and leaking. The other was starting to leak. Only problems ive ever felt with the car are the vibrations sometimes when at stop lights and taking off. Heard that happens on most AWDs with coils
Old 03-24-12, 12:44 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Had you ever heard a popping/clicking sound when turning? It could be fixed with a new boot and grease if the CV joint isn't broken.
no sir

im going to check how low i am now, brb
Old 03-24-12, 12:52 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iRock
I think I read on here that lowering awd to much could mess them up. How low are you?
front right 25" front left 25" 1/4. thats measuring from the ground to top center of fender
Old 03-24-12, 12:54 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Whether the cv joints are clicking or not, the grease inside is most likely already contaminated. Dirt and road debis will quickly wear out the joint, from the inside out. I learned from my own experience that just changing the boots will only be a "band-aid" solution. Also, changing only the boots requires to pull out the axle anyways, so why not just change all of it at once?
Old 03-24-12, 12:58 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by evogt500
Whether the cv joints are clicking or not, the grease inside is most likely already contaminated. Dirt and road debis will quickly wear out the joint, from the inside out. I learned from my own experience that just changing the boots will only be a "band-aid" solution. Also, changing only the boots requires to pull out the axle anyways, so why not just change all of it at once?
Im going to see what the dealer says. Do you think once they see the coils hes going to put in on that? I will also go as fas as complaining to corperate but I cant if they are going to blame the coils
Old 03-24-12, 01:11 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think lower the car could one of the reasons for faster cv axle wear, plus if the car has never changed it before. it is probably time for it to change. its gonna have to be fix regardless. A slightly bent cv axle can cause vibration as well
Old 03-24-12, 01:14 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by evogt500
When you change the boot, you clean all of the old grease out and put new grease in. It is not a band-aid fix unless components are already damaged. As for why you would do one and not the other, well that's usually cost based.

I'd rather keep my factory axle with a new factory boot than put in an aftermarket axle.

Jeff
Old 03-24-12, 01:19 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Denver
i think lower the car could one of the reasons for faster cv axle wear, plus if the car has never changed it before. it is probably time for it to change. its gonna have to be fix regardless. A slightly bent cv axle can cause vibration as well
These coils have only been on the car 10 months, maybe 10k miles or so.

Quick Reply: Left & Right axles blown at 50k PLEASE HELP