Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Left & Right axles blown at 50k PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 09:19 AM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get us some pics, could be because your lowered and could be from something else. Pics will help a bit.
Old 03-25-12, 09:36 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Likwid XTC
Ive had my is serviced before being modded. If they determine the problem is from the coils then they won't cover it. I've been lowered since about 10k miles and my car has about 84k now and it still runs perfectly.
yeah but you arent AWD right? I done some googling and read about a couple other people that have lowered AWDs having this issue. May be do to the angle being changed putting more stress on that area.

Well im bringing it to the dealer this week and see what they say. Ill probably end up bringing it back to stock height and selling the coils
Old 03-25-12, 09:37 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CarbonDtls
Get us some pics, could be because your lowered and could be from something else. Pics will help a bit.
I wish i could but i dont have access to lift and what not.
Old 03-25-12, 10:23 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Likwid's awd as well.

I'm lowered on f-sport springs and i'm at 25.5" and 25.75" driver and passenger side respectively. I had my springs on for about 15k miles and I have yet to have a problem. Plus I'm putting on coils next month and going to be 25" all around.

I think your best bet is to confirm if it's the CV boots only or its the entire axle. Judging how long you've actually been riding on the coils, it was probably very recent that the boots tore and probably doesn't require the entire axle being replaced.
Old 03-25-12, 01:23 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kuuqi
Likwid's awd as well.

I'm lowered on f-sport springs and i'm at 25.5" and 25.75" driver and passenger side respectively. I had my springs on for about 15k miles and I have yet to have a problem. Plus I'm putting on coils next month and going to be 25" all around.

I think your best bet is to confirm if it's the CV boots only or its the entire axle. Judging how long you've actually been riding on the coils, it was probably very recent that the boots tore and probably doesn't require the entire axle being replaced.
But do you know for sure or have a pretty good reason to believe that the coils could cause this to happen? This is what I need to find out for sure. I mean I guess the dealer will tell me the coils are to blame. Once I get this fixed I dont want to have to deal with it again and take the chance of it costing me even more money. Being lowered isnt that important, id rather be back to stock with no headaches.

Or I suppose I could raise it higher with the coils, idk what the hell to do. I just know I cant be dishing out $1000's of dollars on repairs
Old 03-25-12, 07:36 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Well here's a quick question:

Do you hear click when you turn? If not, your axles probably aren't blown but rather it's probably just the CV boots. And better yet, have you actually taken a look at your cv boots? You can see then by turning your wheel all the way and taking a peak inside. Chances are it's probably just leaking from a broken clamp or a torn boot. The dealer or shop can just take apart the axle, remove the boot, clean the axle, and put it back together with new grease. I highly doubt you're having problems at a 25" drop. In fact, you'd be the first.
Old 03-26-12, 08:07 AM
White350
Rookie

the coil overs 100% caused this

as the suspension travels up ward the shaft is compressed to be more correct the cv joints move inward and because you are lowered

now you are forcing the shafts to see compression they wouldn't normally see on a stock suspension car and when your drives along now it see even more compression something it wouldn't see unless in extreme circumstances

chances are you only need to replace the boots but the cv shafts on a lowered car will wear out faster especially the front cv shafts as they have to turn and have suspension travel up and down

I wish i had a picture to show you but yes it is directly related to your car being lower than stock
Old 03-26-12, 08:35 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

I took a pic of what you should be looking for:

If you look at the rubber piece with the yellow clamp, that's the CV boot. You see how it's tilted upwards? This is what happens when you lowered an AWD.

FYI, this is at 25.5" driver side. Considering you're 25", it'd have an even high angle.

I'm wondering if the boot and clamps might wear a little better if you had lowered it to 25.5-26" first then gradually move down instead of immediately dropping it to 25"...

Last edited by kuuqi; 03-26-12 at 08:36 AM. Reason: fixed picture link
Old 03-26-12, 09:28 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kuuqi
I took a pic of what you should be looking for:

If you look at the rubber piece with the yellow clamp, that's the CV boot. You see how it's tilted upwards? This is what happens when you lowered an AWD.

FYI, this is at 25.5" driver side. Considering you're 25", it'd have an even high angle.

I'm wondering if the boot and clamps might wear a little better if you had lowered it to 25.5-26" first then gradually move down instead of immediately dropping it to 25"...
thanks for the pic. Lexus is looking at it tomrrow. Im sure they will put the blame on the coils but they are putting in on the lift for nothing and going to look at it. I was quoted with OEM parts and axles at $2500. Talked to a local guy who installed my coils and he will do the repair work. If i need to get axles he'll get good aftermarket ones with a warrenty. I know you dont really have to go with axles. Hopefully he can clean them like you said and just order the boots. But even he himself who has installed many coils says he doesnt think the coils are to blame necessarily. It all depends how low I am and when on the ground if the boots are stretching or not. I will get his opinion if I should either raise the car a bit more or go back to stock springs.
Old 03-26-12, 09:49 AM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

It dont matter ur car is lower... CV boot are not friendly for lower vehicle... Good luck.. Oh my ride is slam and one of the cv boot show grease sign all over the rear suspension.. It dont bother me cuz I can replace it...
Old 03-27-12, 07:17 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a common problem on FWD cars. My dad told me this many years ago and done it since. He told me not to do a full steering wheel lock on a FWD car as this stretches the boots to the limit causing premature wear. Ever since he told me that I followed it and my Integra is on the same pair of axels for eight years now. Also take it that the car is also lowered so as mechanics have said your car being lowered should not have caused this (Unless you're really slamed to with very agressive camber).
Old 03-27-12, 08:00 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

ok, why dont you just get it fixed. you will be fine for a few years, after the repair.
Old 03-27-12, 09:32 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE

Just got back from the dealer. He said just the driver side is ripped and its covered under the powertrain warrenty. Didnt mention anything about the coils. They will be replacing it when the part comes in. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-27-12, 06:35 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Sounds great! Lexus service for ya