Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP! Suspension Noise From Front End *VIDEOS INCLUDED*

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 01:13 AM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Suspension Noise From Front End *VIDEOS INCLUDED*

Hi,

Its been months since I've been chasing after this noise and I've gone through trial and error with money, dropped about a grand into it and still got the same sound, here's whats done so far:
Front and Rear Struts - have been replaced, same sound from the rear has disappeared but the sound coming from the front remains.
Front lower ball joints - have been replaced, still same noise
Tried spraying silicone spray and did not reduce the noise at all.
Gone through 3 alignments so far

Has anyone had this problem? And does this mean its time to install those polyurethane bushings on Control Arm No.2? Or could it be something else? I really need to narrow this down instead of buying random parts and hoping it would solve it *facepalm*

Thanks

Car - 1998 Lexus GS400 213xxxKMS

HERES THE VIDEOS
You'll hear the sound consistently

Part 1
http://youtu.be/wjIkXKW4isQ
Part 2
http://youtu.be/_35mLzWeGS0
Old 03-06-12, 08:18 AM
djvrr007
Driver School Candidate

i have the same problem and could not find the problem.
now i'm going to replace the bushing on upper control arm,links of the sway bar and other bushing
i really hope it works because i always hear that noise when i turn or hit a bump.
i hope some one post something
Old 03-06-12, 08:38 AM
krispl
Pole Position

i would check lca bushings...they must be gone
Old 03-06-12, 11:03 AM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Originally Posted by djvrr007
i have the same problem and could not find the problem.
now i'm going to replace the bushing on upper control arm,links of the sway bar and other bushing
i really hope it works because i always hear that noise when i turn or hit a bump.
i hope some one post something
Yeah it's gets annoying, good luck update as soon as you can, I really hope someone has a solution for this
Old 03-06-12, 11:06 AM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Originally Posted by krispl
i would check lca bushings...they must be gone
Had it checked by like 3 different shops and they all say I'm crazy hearing things lol, now when you mentioned LCA is it Lower Control Arm No.1? Or the Lower Control Arm No.2? I was planning on replacing the LCA NO.2 (Tension Rod) with polyurethane bushings or upgrading to the beefier 05 LCA No.2 with the TRD bushings, just wanted to see if I'm in the right track before I go crazy wasting money again
Old 03-07-12, 06:58 AM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Any more help or suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-09-12, 12:38 PM
Conceptvip
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the shock tops or sway bar bushings. The sway bar bushings are very cheap and take a few minutes to replace so thats a nice place to start. If that doesnt do it I would have someone bounce the front of the car and you place your hand on the shock top bolt and see if you feel it bouncing around or any thumping noise from them.

I have worked on these cars since day one and have replaced countless number of mounts, bushings, and lower balljoints . And sometimes the upper control arms due to the balljoints clanking. Only issues I have seen with the lca's is the mounting bolts coming loose causing a popping sound when turning.
Old 03-09-12, 01:15 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I could hear, sounded a lot like the upper control arm bushings.
Old 03-09-12, 01:25 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I seem to have that sound coming from the rears. Hopefully you'll be able to find out what it is, or I can. I'mma take a look at it tomorrow.
Old 03-09-12, 01:59 PM
try2fndmrk
Pole Position

sounds like strut mounts. maybe the weather plays a key role in this too unless it happens in daytime aswell?
Old 03-11-12, 03:51 AM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Originally Posted by CaliBuilt
sounds like strut mounts. maybe the weather plays a key role in this too unless it happens in daytime aswell?
Yeah happens in the daytime, going over small bumps, speed bumps, parking lot ramps and driveways mostly cracks across the road, I recently hit a curb if that helps anything and looks like the lower strut mount is slightly bent, steering wheel is now to the right, went and got an alignment check at Calgary Lexus and they said everything was still tight and within specs, I now have that sound in the video and it sounds like its bottoming out when hitting bumps, same sounds I have before I even replaced anything, but I noticed it coming from the left side on where I hit the curb at and now I have a slight vibration from that side too,

Last edited by LexiGS4ty; 03-11-12 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-11-12, 03:57 AM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Originally Posted by Conceptvip
I would check the shock tops or sway bar bushings. The sway bar bushings are very cheap and take a few minutes to replace so thats a nice place to start. If that doesnt do it I would have someone bounce the front of the car and you place your hand on the shock top bolt and see if you feel it bouncing around or any thumping noise from them.

I have worked on these cars since day one and have replaced countless number of mounts, bushings, and lower balljoints . And sometimes the upper control arms due to the balljoints clanking. Only issues I have seen with the lca's is the mounting bolts coming loose causing a popping sound when turning.
Definitely starting at the sway bar bushings and shock tops, and of course an alignment would be required after every service of the suspension?
Old 03-12-12, 05:59 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I went to check it out, my tophats are definitely tighten so are my coilovers. I check my sways and i was able to tighten them with my fingers. Tighten it I haven't heard the sound yet, then again i just drove to teh gas station. Feels a lot tighter though.
Old 03-14-12, 09:30 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds exactly like the clunking noise that I just fixed in my '01. When you are in the car, where does the noise seem to come from? Front? Console area?
Old 03-15-12, 10:45 AM
LexiGS4ty
Rookie

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Sounds exactly like the clunking noise that I just fixed in my '01. When you are in the car, where does the noise seem to come from? Front? Console area?
Yeah it's from the front, what did you replace I wanna give it a try

Quick Reply: HELP! Suspension Noise From Front End *VIDEOS INCLUDED*