Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD blues

Old 02-11-12, 08:47 PM
GSjoeBoB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRD blues

Is the TRD sway bar kit worth the money?
My car is on Tein s-techs right now but going to be on Stance coils in a few months, do they function well? and how is the drivability theyre not to stiff/aggressive are they?
Old 02-11-12, 09:01 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Search a bit my man.. TRD's is one of the must have upgrades for a GS hands down.
Old 02-12-12, 01:24 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Probably one the first mods to do before new wheels... Wish i new that back in 2005...
Old 02-12-12, 05:04 AM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes! must do to every 2nd Gen..minimizes body roll
Old 02-12-12, 07:06 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

hads down the BIGGEST handling mod i have ever done, this goes for every car i have owned (all had mod'ed suspentions). so that would be a yes ghostridder!!!!!
Old 02-13-12, 08:14 PM
Czechlex
Pole Position

Great mod to do! Got mine from Sewell Lexus for a good deal. Make sure to use the clublexus member discount!
Old 02-13-12, 09:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Wait until you get the coilover before deciding whether you need sways or not. You may end up having a suspension that's too stiff. I know having less body roll feels better, but it does not necessarily translate into better handling.
Old 02-14-12, 04:33 AM
christodav
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Wait until you get the coilover before deciding whether you need sways or not. You may end up having a suspension that's too stiff. I know having less body roll feels better, but it does not necessarily translate into better handling.
Sorry man, but totally disagree with you. Quite wrong information.
Old 02-14-12, 07:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

What is "wrong" if I might ask?
Old 02-14-12, 10:08 PM
GSjoeBoB
Driver School Candidate

Whoa! Its settled then blues it is.. I have noticed large amounts of body roll in some situations and i figured slamming it on the coils would fix it but it may need something extra to keep her planted cuz shes a big girl lol these may be exactally what im looking for

AweSOme .. Thanks guys
Old 02-14-12, 10:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Well the Stance coilovers are going got be stiffer than the Tein S-tech springs that you have now, but how do you know if you need the extra stiffness of the TRD sways if you haven't even put on coils? Are you going for actual handling, or stiffness just because it feels good to the butt?
Old 02-15-12, 12:55 AM
christodav
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do your own research into it, but the effect of fitting stiffer springs or coilovers to a vehicle as opposed to fitting stiffer swaybars is quite different.
Thicker swaybars really do not change actual ride stiffness that much but dramatically reduce vehicle body roll in cornering. From experience, stiffer swaybars dramatically increases handling performance on these big heavy cars!!!! I had bigger solid bars on my old JZS147 and I have just fitted a Cusco rear bar on my new JZS161 Aristo here in Japan. In a couple of weeks, a front Cusco will go on.

Please don't take my comment the wrong way. My comment was by no means a personal attack on you. I am simply speaking from my own personal experience and research.

I agree 100%, there are 2 totally different things here. Ride quality/suspension stiffness and reduced body roll in cornering. Those things have to be seperated.

FYI, I am doing both new coilovers and swaybars in this car, plus new bushings, Figs Engineering items etc etc.

Chris

Last edited by christodav; 02-15-12 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-15-12, 06:12 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by christodav
Do your own research into it, but the effect of fitting stiffer springs or coilovers to a vehicle as opposed to fitting stiffer swaybars is quite different.
Thicker swaybars really do not change actual ride stiffness that much but dramatically reduce vehicle body roll in cornering. From experience, stiffer swaybars dramatically increases handling performance on these big heavy cars!!!! I had bigger solid bars on my old JZS147 and I have just fitted a Cusco rear bar on my new JZS161 Aristo here in Japan. In a couple of weeks, a front Cusco will go on.

Please don't take my comment the wrong way. My comment was by no means a personal attack on you. I am simply speaking from my own personal experience and research.

I agree 100%, there are 2 totally different things here. Ride quality/suspension stiffness and reduced body roll in cornering. Those things have to be seperated.

FYI, I am doing both new coilovers and swaybars in this car, plus new bushings, Figs Engineering items etc etc.

Chris
Question for you dude... If you're in Japan, why not just buy 326 Power items instead of getting FIGS items shipped overseas to you?
Old 02-15-12, 09:01 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by christodav

Chris
Chris, I ran TRD blues over 5 years ago and went through a few different sets. Now I'm back at stock because I learned being stiffer is not always better even though it feels good to the seat of the pant. The problem is that the OP is considering parts for his car without knowing the goal. If having no body roll is the most important aspect without regards to handling, then yes, throw on all the stiff parts you want. Going from Tein S-tech springs to Stance coilover is already a big step towards reducing the roll, but the TRD sways may put it over the top.

Many don't realize that if you are going with a stiffer setup, you need proper tires that can coup with it. Having too much negative camber doesn't help either. One day you can be driving down the road and all of the sudden you have to make a sharp right turn. The rear end is going to break out when you least expect it. Traction increases with load but not linearly, since the tire's coefficient of friction also decreases at the same time. You need to find a balance, which is why I always recommend people to mod one part at a time. Determine whether you actually need the additional parts, otherwise you could make your car handle worse without even knowing it.

If you're only concerned about not having your tires smack onto your fender because you have no wheel gap, then you're already at the point where handling is not really a factor. By then, your criteria changes, but you still need to find out if the coilovers alone will do the job, then upgrade sways if necessary.
Old 02-15-12, 09:03 PM
GSjoeBoB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
Well the Stance coilovers are going got be stiffer than the Tein S-tech springs that you have now, but how do you know if you need the extra stiffness of the TRD sways if you haven't even put on coils? Are you going for actual handling, or stiffness just because it feels good to the butt?
Im going for both.. despite its sport appeal the car is quite luxurious and comfortable to me so you want to feel good when your in a nice car and not be sliding all over the place.. On the same token i come from every kind of suspension airbags, springs, coils so i am aware of what changes of ride quality and stiffness feel like on stiff suspension. The coilovers were going on anyway and now i think doing the sways may be another nice upgrade to really reduce the body roll

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRD blues