Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

93 SC400 Power Steering issue ***PLEASE HELP***

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 07:48 AM
ercfrmr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 93 SC400 Power Steering issue ***PLEASE HELP***

Hey guys, been building other makes for years and just picked up my first sc400. Guy I bought it from had the altenator go out due to neglecting to fix the leaking power steering. I have replaced both the altenator and power steering pump and drive belt while at it. Thought issue was fixed. Coming home other night pump starting whining. No fluid in resevior when I got home and fluid that was there was dark brown not clear anymore. Guy at garage says it's gonna be $500 to fix and not guranteed. Know those reseviors have a built in screen on bottom...ANYONE that knows the fix??? Dont want the issue eatting another altenator. Saw rockauto.com sells the high pressure line. Resevior and change both lines ya think might do the trick guys? Thanks a million
Old 02-10-12, 08:21 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you see any possible leaks on the ground overnight? Did you completely bleed and flush the new pump once installed?
Old 02-10-12, 08:31 AM
ercfrmr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Can you see any possible leaks on the ground overnight? Did you completely bleed and flush the new pump once installed?
Nothing on ground, completely bleed and flushed with new pump install. When I tried to refill and bleed the next morning after it leaked it was burping and throwing the fluid outta the resevior like crazy! Fluid was very frothy with air and brown

Last edited by ercfrmr; 02-10-12 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-10-12, 08:33 AM
ercfrmr
Driver School Candidate

Thats whats making me think I have a leaking line....but ya'll have more expertise then me on these. Is that hydraulic line bad to leak on these?
Old 02-10-12, 01:23 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

you said the fluid is clear?it should be red....and the high pressure hose leaks often.... get a new one if it doesnt fix it just take it off and use it on the next steering rack u get
Old 02-10-12, 04:08 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, what kind of fluid did you refill it with? SC's hate power steering fluid. Use Dex ATF fluid only. Also, pull off your air intake hose and check to see if there's fluid in your throttle body. The power steering vacuum valve may have taken a crap, which would explain where all your fluid went.
Old 02-10-12, 04:20 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great catch on the fluid type.
Old 02-10-12, 04:37 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it smoke? I had a similar issue and it was leaking into the intake manifold. I just did the quick fix which was plugging the hose that goes to the manifold and never had a problem since.
Old 02-10-12, 05:04 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

^^ this. Check the pressure-up switch on the pressure line. It has two hoses coming off of it, one to the intake manifold the other to the throttle body. If the internal diaphragm is compromised it could start sucking PS fluid into the intake. You can either plug it as mentioned or like $10 to replace it through toyota
Old 02-10-12, 10:36 PM
ercfrmr
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, fluid was red...my bad guys! On another note...YES smoking like a damn freight train on start up! Was thinking it needed valve seats but this really explains it getting worse....I'll be checking the throttle body and intake mani asap
Old 02-10-12, 10:40 PM
ercfrmr
Driver School Candidate

I swear I love ya'll. I'll def post the solution once it's sourced to help others with same issue
Old 02-19-12, 01:27 AM
roccadet
Driver School Candidate

Default PS fluid leak

Originally Posted by Midengtoy
Does it smoke? I had a similar issue and it was leaking into the intake manifold. I just did the quick fix which was plugging the hose that goes to the manifold and never had a problem since.
Can you tell me the step by step on how you fixed this problem, I think I have the same exact situation. I have smoke like crazy on start up whenever I fill up on PS fluid, and it doesn't even last I have to refill it a week later.
Old 02-23-12, 08:48 AM
ercfrmr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roccadet
Can you tell me the step by step on how you fixed this problem, I think I have the same exact situation. I have smoke like crazy on start up whenever I fill up on PS fluid, and it doesn't even last I have to refill it a week later.
I have been outta town but the fix is the check valve in the hydraulic line. It's a lil ufo looking part that runs inline on the power steering line. Replace that and should be good to go partner.
Old 02-23-12, 08:50 AM
ercfrmr
Driver School Candidate

Lemme know if that helped too broski
Old 02-23-12, 12:23 PM
mistah1jz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ercfrmr
Hey guys, been building other makes for years and just picked up my first sc400. Guy I bought it from had the altenator go out due to neglecting to fix the leaking power steering. I have replaced both the altenator and power steering pump and drive belt while at it. Thought issue was fixed. Coming home other night pump starting whining. No fluid in resevior when I got home and fluid that was there was dark brown not clear anymore. Guy at garage says it's gonna be $500 to fix and not guranteed. Know those reseviors have a built in screen on bottom...ANYONE that knows the fix??? Dont want the issue eatting another altenator. Saw rockauto.com sells the high pressure line. Resevior and change both lines ya think might do the trick guys? Thanks a million
i have the same exact problem with my 93 sc400

Quick Reply: 93 SC400 Power Steering issue ***PLEASE HELP***