Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Inner and outer tie rods - ok to go with eBay ones?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 11:34 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inner and outer tie rods - ok to go with eBay ones?

I need to replace my tie rods and decided to purchase them separately and bring them to get installed rather than just pay premiums at a shop. Would it be ok to get those non-OE brands listed on eBay? Because even after CL discounts, the best I see for all 4 rods is about $330 while on eBay it'd cost me less than $100 for all 4.

Also, what would be a fair price to pay for installation of all 4? I'm in Los Angeles

Thanks for any help
Old 08-06-12, 09:04 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

for a shop to install. i would say around 100? but you will need an alignment after they are installed.
Old 08-07-12, 10:03 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly would trust stuff like that from ebay, but thats just my opinion. On a budget the lowest ill go is autozone because if something goes wrong you can bring them right into the store for warranty.... good luck getting warranty on ebay parts and even if they do, wouldnt wanna hassle mailing suspension parts off for replacement
Old 08-07-12, 10:39 AM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally wouldnt do it either, Especially after reading the feedback people left for some of the sellers.
Old 08-07-12, 11:01 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by k7q
for a shop to install. i would say around 100? but you will need an alignment after they are installed.
Great thanks for the info - that lifetime alignment from Firestone has really come in handy

Originally Posted by sj408
I honestly would trust stuff like that from ebay, but thats just my opinion. On a budget the lowest ill go is autozone because if something goes wrong you can bring them right into the store for warranty.... good luck getting warranty on ebay parts and even if they do, wouldnt wanna hassle mailing suspension parts off for replacement
Thank you - I will check out autozone

Originally Posted by AnonymousG
I personally wouldnt do it either, Especially after reading the feedback people left for some of the sellers.
Duly noted!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-07-12, 11:32 AM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Yeah I would check autozone, since most of their parts have limited lifetime warranty I believe.

Firestone lifetime alignment FTW! I also bought one. hah
Old 08-07-12, 12:53 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AnonymousG
Yeah I would check autozone, since most of their parts have limited lifetime warranty I believe.

Firestone lifetime alignment FTW! I also bought one. hah
Correct - I just checked them and they do have limited warranty. Looks like it's going to cost around $200 for all four

I've already had at least 5 alignments - more than paid for itself
Old 08-08-12, 03:30 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Keep in mind that you are dealing with critical steering components.. If you want to RESTORE your ride to its full potential, then use quality parts. You get what you pay for. If you want to buy cheap parts and then have more trouble down the road, that is up to you. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of inner and outer Tie Rods & Ends. This is where you will find the best OEM replacements in my opinion. they stand behind their parts with a 50,000 mile or 36 month warranty. Not bad! I've been doing the research and one of the things I read was even pro drifters have said that the OEM parts for the tie rods & ends of the steering system is best. I don't think anyone out there is going to offer the warranty these guys do and if you search you can get them at a good price online. I wouldn't recommend ebay though because my searches have only come up with one side of the outer tie rod ends. Be advised that the drivers side is a different part number from the passengers side. The inner are both the same. you can't buy direct from here but you can see what you get. Good luck with the project!

http://www.beckarnley.com/beckarnleycatalog.html

According to AutoMD, the job should take 1.5 hours of labor to install all 4 parts.

Last edited by SC400DAVE; 08-08-12 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 10:38 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
Keep in mind that you are dealing with critical steering components.. If you want to RESTORE your ride to its full potential, then use quality parts. You get what you pay for. If you want to buy cheap parts and then have more trouble down the road, that is up to you. I am about to pull the trigger on a set of inner and outer Tie Rods & Ends. This is where you will find the best OEM replacements in my opinion. they stand behind their parts with a 50,000 mile or 36 month warranty. Not bad! I've been doing the research and one of the things I read was even pro drifters have said that the OEM parts for the tie rods & ends of the steering system is best. I don't think anyone out there is going to offer the warranty these guys do and if you search you can get them at a good price online. I wouldn't recommend ebay though because my searches have only come up with one side of the outer tie rod ends. Be advised that the drivers side is a different part number from the passengers side. The inner are both the same. you can't buy direct from here but you can see what you get. Good luck with the project!

http://www.beckarnley.com/beckarnleycatalog.html

According to AutoMD, the job should take 1.5 hours of labor to install all 4 parts.

How about autozones LIFETIME no questions asked warranty??? and you dont have to chase someone down online and send your stuff out, you simply walk in the store and they will give you brand new ones zero hassle.

Also iirc beck/arnley makes duralast (autozone) tie rod ends.... or it could be federal mogul i cant remember
Old 08-08-12, 11:56 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

How about autozones LIFETIME no questions asked warranty??? and you dont have to chase someone down online and send your stuff out, you simply walk in the store and they will give you brand new ones zero hassle.

Also iirc beck/arnley makes duralast (autozone) tie rod ends.... or it could be federal mogul i cant remember
Wow, great find! They warranty the part for as long as you own the car. Warranty is void once you sell. Not bad at all. They claim to meet OEM spec too.

My only concern is I just got through reading a post from a member complaining that the AutoZone starters he has had would fail after two cranks. I guess that's not too bad if you can replace the failed parts yourself and the car is not your daily driver, but man, I would hate to keep needing repairs due to bad parts that are probably made in China. If the part costs them maybe $2.00 to make, I guess Autozone can afford to keep replacing them. I have an inquiry into them now to find out where they are manufactured.

Update: OK the Duralast Inner are made in Taiwan. Not bad, but not JDM and they cost $54.99 vs $58.10 for the JDM. You can special order them thru Pep Boys & others depending on where you live.

They didn't want to disclose the country of origin for the Outer, so now I am more suspicious!. I will find out though! Stay tuned! lol

The Beck/Arnley Inners are made in Japan! JDM baby!

The Outers are made in Turkey

Whats wrong with this country is we don't make anything anymore!!!!! Update I must digress, Battle Version is made in the good old USA!!! Hells ya!! Those are looking better all the time now!

Duralast doesn't have the tie rods on their website, which makes me suspicious.

I guess I'll wait and see what my trusty mechanic has to say.

Anyone else running these Duralast Tie rods for a few years and can vouch for the quality?

Last edited by SC400DAVE; 08-08-12 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Update Post With Current Info
Old 08-08-12, 12:28 PM
sj408
Instructor

Wow, great find! They warranty the part for as long as you own the car. Warranty is void once you sell. Not bad at all. They claim to meet OEM spec too.

My only concern is I just got through reading a post from a member complaining that the AutoZone starters he has had would fail after two cranks. I guess that's not too bad if you can replace the failed parts yourself and the car is not your daily driver, but man, I would hate to keep needing repairs due to bad parts that are probably made in China. If the part costs them maybe $2.00 to make, I guess Autozone can afford to keep replacing them. I have an inquiry into them now to find out where they are manufactured.

The Beck/Arnley Inners are made in Japan! JDM baby!

The Outers are made in Turkey

Whats wrong with this country is we don't make anything anymore!!!!!

Duralast doesn't have the tie rods on their website, which makes me suspicious.

I guess I'll wait and see what my trusty mechanic has to say.

Anyone else running these Duralast Tie rods for a few years and can vouch for the quality?
Another persons experience with a most likely remanufactured starter is unrelated to buying tie rod ends. Who knows what grade starter they bought? a valucraft? duralast reman? or duralast gold??? Also who knows what electrical problems said person was having to cause starter failure..... Not relieving autozone of responsibility but dont base your opinion off of 1 guys starter experience. They wouldnt be a fortune 500 company if they didnt know parts.

Im personally converted from thinking autozone was crap, The parts they sell are on par with any other automotive retail facility but what really shines is the warranty and the ability to honor it with no hassle.

Why would you be suspicious? took me 5 seconds to find em
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

I try to inform people who "trust their mechanics opinion" so they can make an educated decision on their own. Most average mechanics opinion is completely bias and based off of 1 or 2 random unrelated experiences. Not to say your mechanic doesnt know his stuff, but its better to make your decision based off of research you do on your own.

There are some things i just wont buy from AZ, or any aftermarket company for that matter.... like tps sensors and such. But with the warranty they offer its kind of a no brainer to go with them for alot of things..

Hell, you buy a set of pads at AZ thats free brake pads FOR LIFE. just dont run em down metal to metal

or my personal favorite, spark plug wires.... i go warranty them out every time i do plugs

as for a quality vouch, I believe they are made by beck/arnley or federal mogul. So you could do some research regarding those companies.

Last edited by sj408; 08-08-12 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 01:15 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Just an update, I have purchased Battle Version inners ($86 shipped) - cheaper than AZ parts, and will go with OEM outers.
Old 08-08-12, 04:00 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Another persons experience with a most likely remanufactured starter is unrelated to buying tie rod ends. Who knows what grade starter they bought? a valucraft? duralast reman? or duralast gold??? Also who knows what electrical problems said person was having to cause starter failure..... Not relieving autozone of responsibility but dont base your opinion off of 1 guys starter experience. They wouldnt be a fortune 500 company if they didnt know parts.

Im personally converted from thinking autozone was crap, The parts they sell are on par with any other automotive retail facility but what really shines is the warranty and the ability to honor it with no hassle.

Why would you be suspicious? took me 5 seconds to find em
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

I try to inform people who "trust their mechanics opinion" so they can make an educated decision on their own. Most average mechanics opinion is completely bias and based off of 1 or 2 random unrelated experiences. Not to say your mechanic doesnt know his stuff, but its better to make your decision based off of research you do on your own.

There are some things i just wont buy from AZ, or any aftermarket company for that matter.... like tps sensors and such. But with the warranty they offer its kind of a no brainer to go with them for alot of things..

Hell, you buy a set of pads at AZ thats free brake pads FOR LIFE. just dont run em down metal to metal

or my personal favorite, spark plug wires.... i go warranty them out every time i do plugs

as for a quality vouch, I believe they are made by beck/arnley or federal mogul. So you could do some research regarding those companies.
Please chill my brother, this is not a pissing contest. I have spent hours today researching. No brainer the inners are on the AZ web site, how come they are not on Duralast web site. Try going to Duralast web site and show me where they are at.. I even called the Duralast Corp. Headquarters to try and get the info I wanted to make an informed decision. Guess what, they balked. They were proud to say the inner was made in Taiwan though. Hmmmmmmm.

I make the decision on what my mechanic does not the other way around. I have seen what the tire shop showed me cuz they said they couldn't do the alignment due to the tie rods being worn. Do I trust them completely? NO, and they will not be replacing any parts on my car. Me and my trusted mechanic who is a second generation certified mechanic ( his dad started this well respected shop) will make the ultimate decision. I think you are reading into my post something that is not there. My passion and my commitment to the relentless pursuit of perfection regarding MY SC, and how it is going to be worked on, and what parts are going on her, is very personal to me. I have put so much money into just doing upkeep and RESTORING her that you wouldn't believe. With that money, I could have made her look as sick as any SC on here, but guess what, my personal choice is to make her right first, then put the make up and lipstick on. The only mod I have done for looks is a complete leather interior makeover on a group by thru this club in April 2007 and some other interior parts here and there when she was fairly new to me. The only non Lexus/Toyota SC OEM parts on her are my Supra LCA's and the front rotors, that I plan on upgrading to the BBK Supra's eventually after I get her right.

I try to help people make informed decisions with my 7 years of restorations and research, research, research. I researched the SC till I was blue in the face before I even started looking for one and scoured the internet for anything I could find researching.

You are not going to convince me that AZ parts are superior than the parts that were engineered for my beloved SC. A little SC history/FAQ here:

"The SC 400 debuted on June 1, 1991 in the United States as a 1992 model. The SC 400's 4.0 L V8 1UZ-FE, the same engine as used in the LS 400, was reported to have cost over US $400,000,000 in research and development. The SC 400 was honored as the Motor Trend Import Car of the Year for 1992. It also made Car and Driver magazine's Ten Best list for 1992 through 1998"

$400,000,000 in research and development!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not trying to convince anyone either. You can take my info and do whatever you want. Take it or leave it. Not everyone should even own a SC because of the expense to just keep them running let alone modding Why do you think mine is not done yet? I got a wife and two kids to feed and maintain. My car is way down the list of priority, but will I compromise in her RESTORATION? HELL NO. Not if I can afford it. My SC is 20 years old with 223,000 miles on her and runs like a top. Smooth as silk engine, tranny, soon to be front end refresh.

So in closing, take what I say with a grain of salt. You are going to do what you are going to do, I am too, as so is everyone on here. We are all individuals. This thread got started because the OP was going to buy some cheap crud off Ebay and waist his money, in my opinion. I happen to be going through the same research. I decided to try and help him decide what to do, so are you! That is great, that is what this Forum is all about. Neither one of us is going to tell him what to do. He is his own man and will decide with all the info he was looking for here, what his final decision is going to be based on his personal goals with his ride and his budget. If all I had money for was the cheapos to get me by for a few months, or something, and me not have a way to get to work where I make my money? Guess what I would do? Maybe take the bus. lol. I don't know. Putting those parts on her would cut to the bone.

Peace.

Last edited by SC400DAVE; 08-08-12 at 05:50 PM. Reason: grammer/add some history
Old 08-08-12, 04:18 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by Hil
Just an update, I have purchased Battle Version inners ($86 shipped) - cheaper than AZ parts, and will go with OEM outers.
SWEET!!!!. Let us know how it turns out after the upgrade.

I spoke to a guy there today and he was telling me their awesome story how their hobby turned into a business and they can pursue their passion and make money too. Dang, if that aint the American dream right there!! He told me about quite a few new products they have produced and will be updating their website. I won't spill the beans on what they are though. Stay tuned for BV is going to make it big I think. Congrats!!!
Old 08-08-12, 06:20 PM
sj408
Instructor

Please chill my brother, this is not a pissing contest. I have spent hours today researching. No brainer the inners are on the AZ web site, how come they are not on Duralast web site. Try going to Duralast web site and show me where they are at.. I even called the Duralast Corp. Headquarters to try and get the info I wanted to make an informed decision. Guess what, they balked. They were proud to say the inner was made in Taiwan though. Hmmmmmmm.

I make the decision on what my mechanic does not the other way around. I have seen what the tire shop showed me cuz they said they couldn't do the alignment due to the tie rods being worn. Do I trust them completely? NO, and they will not be replacing any parts on my car. Me and my trusted mechanic who is a second generation certified mechanic ( his dad started this well respected shop) will make the ultimate decision. I think you are reading into my post something that is not there. My passion and my commitment to the relentless pursuit of perfection regarding MY SC, and how it is going to be worked on, and what parts are going on her, is very personal to me. I have put so much money into just doing upkeep and RESTORING her that you wouldn't believe. With that money, I could have made her look as sick as any SC on here, but guess what, my personal choice is to make her right first, then put the make up and lipstick on. The only mod I have done for looks is a complete leather interior makeover on a group by thru this club in April 2007 and some other interior parts here and there when she was fairly new to me. The only non Lexus/Toyota SC OEM parts on her are my Supra LCA's and the front rotors, that I plan on upgrading to the BBK Supra's eventually after I get her right.

I try to help people make informed decisions with my 7 years of restorations and research, research, research. I researched the SC till I was blue in the face before I even started looking for one and scoured the internet for anything I could find researching.

You are not going to convince me that AZ parts are superior than the parts that were engineered for my beloved SC. A little SC history/FAQ here:

"The SC 400 debuted on June 1, 1991 in the United States as a 1992 model. The SC 400's 4.0 L V8 1UZ-FE, the same engine as used in the LS 400, was reported to have cost over US $400,000,000 in research and development. The SC 400 was honored as the Motor Trend Import Car of the Year for 1992. It also made Car and Driver magazine's Ten Best list for 1992 through 1998"

$400,000,000 in research and development!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not trying to convince anyone either. You can take my info and do whatever you want. Take it or leave it. Not everyone should even own a SC because of the expense to just keep them running let alone modding Why do you think mine is not done yet? I got a wife and two kids to feed and maintain. My car is way down the list of priority, but will I compromise in her RESTORATION? HELL NO. Not if I can afford it. My SC is 20 years old with 223,000 miles on her and runs like a top. Smooth as silk engine, tranny, soon to be front end refresh.

So in closing, take what I say with a grain of salt. You are going to do what you are going to do, I am too, as so is everyone on here. We are all individuals. This thread got started because the OP was going to buy some cheap crud off Ebay and waist his money, in my opinion. I happen to be going through the same research. I decided to try and help him decide what to do, so are you! That is great, that is what this Forum is all about. Neither one of us is going to tell him what to do. He is his own man and will decide with all the info he was looking for here, what his final decision is going to be based on his personal goals with his ride and his budget. If all I had money for was the cheapos to get me by for a few months, or something, and me not have a way to get to work where I make my money? Guess what I would do? Maybe take the bus. lol. I don't know. Putting those parts on her would cut to the bone.

Peace.
I guess you took it wrong, i didnt mean to make you mad??? I was just trying to share information as i pull a great deal of info from the guys here.

Not sure if your aware but the research and development claim is for the 1uzfe itself not the sc series.

Also nobody was trying to claim an autozone part was superior to oem, as they are manufactured to oem spec.... not any different so why would they be superior?

Just trying to help people make an informed decision when talking about these different brands, autozone duralast does not make most the parts they simply sell under another name. So i would just figure out who the manufacturer is and ask them

So if the same brand of parts being inquired about price and warranty wise can be had at autozone with a lifetime warranty i believe people would want to know.
it seems you feel like i was trying to "school" you or something, not the case. Just trying to post useful information for others to read

we all share the same love for our cars, no need to take sharing info as a personal attack

Last edited by sj408; 08-08-12 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Inner and outer tie rods - ok to go with eBay ones?