Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

which lower ball joints to buy?

Old 02-02-12, 12:59 PM
Fiend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which lower ball joints to buy?

okay so im in the market to buying the front daizen front poly urethane bushing kit and while I'm at it I'm going to change out my front lower ball joints and outer tie rods...so my question is what is the difference from the daizen ones and the moog brands? i know the best way would to go with original lexus parts but I'm not going to pay an arm and leg if the quality from moog or daizen are the same? which ones should i get? thanks
Old 02-03-12, 02:21 AM
jjm1975
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion I would stick to the original parts... 124,20 for a pair of lower balljoints and 96,70 for the outher tie rod ends at Sewell with cl discount.
Old 02-03-12, 06:47 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I have moog ball joints and outer tie rods. No problem at all. Why spend the high amout for the faulty OEM part LBJ's. It's a obvious quality issue Lexus has been having with the GS since 93. Think I paid $85 shipped from rock auto.
Old 02-03-12, 10:31 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Buy oem you'll be happier.
Old 02-03-12, 10:43 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by geeznuts
Buy oem you'll be happier.
Not trying to start a argument, but please explain why he would be happier if you don't mind. Moog is a quality part, made in Japan and much cheaper, with years of outstanding reviews to back up their quality claim. The OEM part has issues with quality control and breaks much to frequent, more expensive...I even read a recent post where someone stated that their new OEM lbj broke AGAIN after two years. There are NO documents/TSB anywhere from Lexus owning to the problems and trying to fix or create more durable part from 98-05...even though they had issues with this since 93.

So, why would you say that he will be happier with the OEM part. If it's OEM or nothing, he might as well stick with OEM bushings too right? For most parts, I will try to get OEM, but I won't pay a premium price for a part with a known steel quality problem. Must be using China steel lol.
Old 02-03-12, 11:03 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

MOOG all day... But that's only my opinion which ain't *****...

I've had all moog's on my past bagged trucks that commonly broke oem joints.. Hopping 4-5000lbs and locking up/maxing out ball joint limits daily with 10"-12" of control arm travel, moog has long been the strongest available brand that is a stock 'press in replacement' and not some form of heim/uniball/superpivot joint. They are the standard brand for the whole truckin world, they don't call them 'problem solvers' for nothing...

Yet the OEM toyota joints are breaking with like 2" of travel on a passenger car with normal driving??

But yeah, for the most part CL defiantly has a hardon for OEM or the highway... Makes lots of sense for some things, but to me it does not make sense for the problematic front lower ball joint...

I saw a stock GS on the side of the freeway couple weeks ago with a broke joint. I can even think of the last time I ever saw a different model random car on the side of the road with a broke bj.....
Old 02-03-12, 11:16 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
MOOG all day... But that's only my opinion which ain't *****...

I've had all moog's on my past bagged trucks that commonly broke oem joints.. Hopping 4-5000lbs and locking up/maxing out ball joint limits daily with 10"-12" of control arm travel, moog has long been the strongest available brand that is a stock 'press in replacement' and not some form of heim/uniball/superpivot joint. They are the standard brand for the whole truckin world, they don't call them 'problem solvers' for nothing...

Yet the OEM toyota joints are breaking with like 2" of travel on a passenger car with normal driving??

But yeah, for the most part CL defiantly has a hardon for OEM or the highway... Makes lots of sense for some things, but to me it does not make sense for the problematic front lower ball joint...
I saw a stock GS on the side of the freeway couple weeks ago with a broke joint. I can even think of the last time I ever saw a different model random car on the side of the road with a broke bj.....
Great post! Couldn't have said it better! I didn't change my OEM ball joints on my Q45 until over 200k! Now that's a durable part! I only changed it due to the play in the wheel. I'm glad I did change it when I did because the joint was able to spin around like a joystick!
Old 02-05-12, 03:47 PM
850Lexus
Pole Position

i just put some beck/arnley LBJ back in November and my passenger side is already making noise so I am replacing once again.
Old 02-05-12, 08:03 PM
1GSLuVeR
Rookie

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
I have moog ball joints and outer tie rods. No problem at all. Why spend the high amout for the faulty OEM part LBJ's. It's a obvious quality issue Lexus has been having with the GS since 93. Think I paid $85 shipped from rock auto.
+1 i def agree with this and 99GS3, moog makes quality products and they last a lot longer than most OEM parts, at least in my experience.
Old 02-05-12, 08:49 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moog or Daizen. I'm sure they'll hold up better than stock and they cost less. I have to get mine done before I rest the chassis on the ground with a new suspension setup.
Old 02-05-12, 09:45 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Did we already have this conversation about Daizen

I had received email from Daizen Authorized Dealer, And they clearly stated that they can't no longer receive partsss from Daizen. probably busted the E-commerce.
Here are you best bet. You can forget about TM Engineering, and here http://www.daizensporttuning.com/menu/dealers.html

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2001/4685.html
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2001/4558.html
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3322
http://prothane.com/vehicle-applications/

Last edited by GS714; 02-07-12 at 08:03 PM. Reason: additional infos spelling
Old 02-06-12, 02:47 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Not trying to start a argument, but please explain why he would be happier if you don't mind. Moog is a quality part, made in Japan and much cheaper, with years of outstanding reviews to back up their quality claim. The OEM part has issues with quality control and breaks much to frequent, more expensive...I even read a recent post where someone stated that their new OEM lbj broke AGAIN after two years. There are NO documents/TSB anywhere from Lexus owning to the problems and trying to fix or create more durable part from 98-05...even though they had issues with this since 93.

So, why would you say that he will be happier with the OEM part. If it's OEM or nothing, he might as well stick with OEM bushings too right? For most parts, I will try to get OEM, but I won't pay a premium price for a part with a known steel quality problem. Must be using China steel lol.
My reason? Because that's my opinion and I have a hardon for oem parts that's it lol
Old 02-06-12, 05:18 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by geeznuts
My reason? Because that's my opinion and I have a hardon for oem parts that's it lol
haha, I gotcha
Old 02-06-12, 03:35 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default O.e.m

Original (Contracted Manufacturer to meet minimum customer's specification)
Equipment (Engineered to maximize Profitability Ratio)
Manufacturering (Cheapest labor and the lowest raw material cost)

Still considering OEM.

Last edited by GS714; 02-07-12 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-07-12, 02:55 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS714
Original (Contracted Manufacturer to meet minimum customer's specification)
Equipment (Engineering to maximize Profitability Ratio)
Manufacturering (Cheapest labor and the lowest raw material cost)

Still considering OEM.
lol awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which lower ball joints to buy?