Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension wear and tear

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 02:00 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Suspension wear and tear

Quick question: if I were to install this strut bar on a stock car/stock suspension, wouldn't that cause more wear an tear on my suspension?*

My reason saying that is because I would be reducing body flex causing things to wear out quicker being that there is less leeway. Right or wrong?
Old 01-31-12, 06:13 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

STB's honestly dont do much, mainly a visual thing
Old 02-01-12, 01:44 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Biggu
STB's honestly dont do much, mainly a visual thing
I can't agree with you on that. STB's purpose is generally to stiffin up the chassis and our SC's are known for body roll. It's physically not possible for it to not do anything.
Old 02-01-12, 07:28 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They really don't do much so we are both disagreeing with you. Every car at stock height is prone to body roll, my 240sx specifically, but initially having a strut bar will do next to nothing. You should save the money for a nicer suspension, which will in turn reduce body roll.
Old 02-01-12, 08:08 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

STB on the Z30 chassis are pointless. The body roll that our stock cars exhibit is due to the heft of these tanks, If you are looking to lessen body roll, pick yourself up a quality adjustable suspension. I can't tell you what to buy as I don't know your performance goals. JE can point you in the right direction as his experience has been in the "performance" side of the industry for a few years.
Old 02-01-12, 11:17 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Great info guys. Adjustable suspension meaning coilovers? Also, Im working on my NA-T setup right now but also trying to stiffen the suspension and reduce body roll. I planned to get TT LCA's in the near future as well but whats something that would benefit my car right now? sway bars?
Old 02-02-12, 07:51 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
Great info guys. Adjustable suspension meaning coilovers? Also, Im working on my NA-T setup right now but also trying to stiffen the suspension and reduce body roll. I planned to get TT LCA's in the near future as well but whats something that would benefit my car right now? sway bars?
If you don't have a big budget for coilovers and adjustable arms you could look into a spring shock (Tokico's, KYB, etc.) combo. They would give the car better handling and of course curb appeal.
Old 02-02-12, 02:05 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Originally Posted by JE
If you don't have a big budget for coilovers and adjustable arms you could look into a spring shock (Tokico's, KYB, etc.) combo. They would give the car better handling and of course curb appeal.
I had crossed out getting springs cause I put OEM ones about year ago an a half ago. Might just save up for coils.

So what benefit would front and rear sways have?
Old 02-06-12, 06:43 AM
JE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
I had crossed out getting springs cause I put OEM ones about year ago an a half ago. Might just save up for coils.

So what benefit would front and rear sways have?
Sway bars can be referred to as anti-roll bars. A beefier bar would reduce roll and improve cornering.
Old 02-06-12, 10:52 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Originally Posted by JE
Sway bars can be referred to as anti-roll bars. A beefier bar would reduce roll and improve cornering.
This. I come from the Subaru world, but Swaybars are, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck for improving handling, reducing body roll, and improving overall feel in the corners.
Strut tower bars tie the the strut towers together to reduce chassis flex, but unless you have addressed other areas of the suspension, ie sways, bushings, struts/springs, tires, the benefits would be minimal at best as the stock bushings/suspension will take up most of the cornering forces before the chassis will ever flex enough to warrant any chassis bracing.

Hope this helps
Thanks,
Rick