Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

PSB/ADUS Caster arm bushing install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 10:22 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSB/ADUS Caster arm bushing install

This is for those that decide to go with the PSB/ADUS caster arm bushings that you can pick up at Sewellparts.com

I'm going to copy in pictures from aristo123 since he provided many from this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-tm-eng-5.html

I'm just going to add a couple of pictures and some clarification:

Originally Posted by aristo123
Just so everyone dealing with this issue knows there are two different bushings for the 2 GS. I know its been asked several times in this thread but i went ahead and made the mistake and ordered both. If you look at the photo below you will notice the size difference and the part number difference. Take a look........
Notice the one on the left is smaller, that is the one for the 98-00 caster arms. The one to the right is for the 01-05

I believe that if you own a 01 Gs300/400/430 you may need to double check when it was produced. Because you may end up with the wrong bushings. SO, before you order make sure your caster arms look like mine if you want the 98-00.

Notice the packaging says to not remove the outer ring and to re-use the inner sleeve. Also, you should be able to see that the one on the left says 536 and the one on the right says 537. 536=98-00 537=01-05

Look at the left one, its smaller yet taller on one end. The one on the right is the same on both ends.

Once pressed in, this is how it looks. The taller/skinner end goes upward, it touches the bottom of the car.

Here's my tiny contribution.
The directions says to "Do not remove outer sleeve and reuse inner sleeve" After doing many searches, there were no pictures of the inner sleeve and what it looked like after all the old rubber was removed.
Let me tell you, it's a huge PITA to get the old rubber off the outside sleeve and inner sleeve. I tried torching it, but it just got crunchy and did not "melt" off like others. I ended up using an air saw, hand grinder, then a wire wheel to get it all off.

OEM inner sleeve after all old rubber removed:

Picture of inner sleeve being pressed in. After the PSB/ADUS bushing was already pressed

I've now installed both type of common bushings for our cars. The daizen ones and the PSB/ADUS ones. (Daizen on my 2005 GS and PSB/ADUS on my 2003)

Material:
The Daizen bushing has a little more "give" to it where the PSB one was a lot harder.

Ease of install:
Daizen was easier since you didn't have to mess with removing the old rubber off the OEM sleeves.

Ride quality:
Daizen made a huge difference. No wandering all over the road
PSB/ADUS - will update since I just did the install yesterday.

Design:
I liked the use of the OEM inner sleeve. Fit tight into the bushing like it should.
The Daizen bushings come with their own cylinder shaped sleeves.. I didn't like the fact that it just slipped inside and had some play to it.
However, that "play" allowed the install of the caster arm bolts to be ALOT easier. The PSB caster arm bolts were nearly impossible to put back.

(Pictures borrowed from lyonkster)
Originally Posted by lyonkster
16. Slip the Daizen sleeve onto the stud. The larger hole goes up; it won't fit the other way.

17. Now position the caster arm in place, and slip the bushing over the Daizen sleeve.
As of current, If I had to do it again, I would go with Daizen.
Daizen full kit was around $120 shipped. Install was faster for both bushings and the reinstall of the caster arm bolts.
PSB bushings (quantity 2) cost about $75 shipped. Install was a lot more time consuming and reinstalling of caster bolts was a major back breaker.

Good luck whichever way you go
Old 12-31-11, 10:56 AM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I will be using this as a reference for when I change mine out. I have the bushing set from Daizen. Thanks for the details and information.
Old 01-03-12, 07:14 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup removing the old rubber is tough, but you did it exactly how I did. Nice of of you to do that.
Old 01-06-12, 05:09 PM
pdxgs
Driver

Thanks guys, I'm doing it this weekend too with PSB/ADUS since TM didn't come through on the Daizens.

I got my PSB/ADUS (536 for a 1998) from Carson Toyota, but now that I have the part number noticed that they are available elsewhere for less like partsgeek.com and autowarehouse.biz. They have other poly bushings as well. Google the part and you'll find them.

Also found that the poly steering rack bushings (I ordered from Sewell) is made by PSB/ADUS, #207. Sewell says the manufacturer is Armstrong. Looks like Armstrong/ADUS/ADT/Problem Solving Bushings (PSB) may be one in the same.

Hopefully this will help those trying to sort things out.

Runyun...how are your new PSB/ADUS's feeling?
Old 01-07-12, 04:36 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pdxgs

Haven't driven it yet. Just sits parked in the garage. Would like to finish up balljoints and outer tie rods before making any suggestions.

the floatiness has gone away.. but still some play
Old 01-21-12, 06:52 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pdxgs
Update:
PSB bushings are riding well. I had to go back under to change out my BJ's and my outer tie rods. The bushings look good and have good range motion. Can't complain, just wish they were easier to install
Old 01-28-12, 12:12 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

yea i have some of these but i didnt want to even install them they had to many bubbles in the cast of the bushings so i am going to try what figs was thinking funny he always comes out with things i have been thinking about for a year now just dont have the time or the tooling to do it.
Old 01-30-12, 10:17 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yes i ordered the same for my 2003 GS.... and i noticed we had to re-use the OEM sleeve....

is there a specific way how the oem sleeve goes back in?

Old 01-31-12, 05:54 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

^ yup, the end with the bigger hold points up
Old 01-31-12, 10:57 PM
istundra
Pole Position

oooo thanks! i'm having my trusted mechanic install these....

for your best guess... do you know how many hours it took to remove and install these bushings? i just want to give him a headsup before i bring it in.. pls let me know.
Old 02-06-12, 12:02 AM
istundra
Pole Position

bump. how many hours did it take you to replace the bushings? i need to know so i have my mechanic reserve the bay for me. thanks!!!!
Old 02-06-12, 07:30 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by istundra
bump. how many hours did it take you to replace the bushings? i need to know so i have my mechanic reserve the bay for me. thanks!!!!
Considering I'm no mechanic, it took me a full day to finish.
I tried torching it, finding right tools, and was working on my back versus using a lift.

I'd say a good mechanic could button this up in 3-4 hours?
Old 02-06-12, 10:06 PM
istundra
Pole Position

runyun. thank you for your feedback! 3-4 hours is good! now i hope he doesn't charge me his full shop rate. :/
Old 02-08-12, 10:24 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adus 537

Hi All
Thank you all for the info. I think I am gonna try this on my own, removing the rubber that is.
Just curious on Sewell Adus PSB bushing, Does it really matter which end touching the bottom of the car?
It seem like one end have a little groove or channeling at the very top.

Last edited by GS714; 02-08-12 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-12, 10:55 AM
pdxgs
Driver

A time-saving word of advice for those doing this...forget cutting/grinding out the OEM bushing...I used one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html Just connected it to my BBQ propane tank. 2 minutes of torching and it turned the OEM rubber into dust leaving the arm and insert clean.

Used a standard vice for pressing in the bushing and sleeve.

The bushings got rid of my alignment issue and the brake shudder when braking from above 50mph. Fig's product is probably better, we'll see how these hold up.

Quick Reply: PSB/ADUS Caster arm bushing install