Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotor replacement required going from OEM to ceramic pads on IS 250?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 10:20 AM
kimnrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor replacement required going from OEM to ceramic pads on IS 250?

I have an 2008 IS250 with about 46K (almost all highway miles as I am a long distance commuter). I purchased the car with 16K and to my knowledge the rotors have never been machined. I do not have any vibration or pulsating or wheel shimmy when applying the brakes at any speed. I don't have any braking issues, but absolutely hate the brake dust!
So I replaced the front OEM pads with ceramic at about 40K and really love having little to no brake dust. When I was doing my last wash, I noticed a lip around the outer edge of the front rotor that is not present on the rear rotors. Then I got to wondering if the OEM rotors are compatible with ceramic pads. Is it possible that the new pads are grinding my OEM rotors down??! I haven't looked at another IS250 to see if the lip is present. But the beginning photo's in this thread show the same lip, so now I'm thinking it's just me being paranoid...
So does anyone have any knowledge whether or not one should replace the OEM rotors due to using ceramic pads??
Old 12-22-11, 11:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kimnrick
I have an 2008 IS250 with about 46K (almost all highway miles as I am a long distance commuter). I purchased the car with 16K and to my knowledge the rotors have never been machined. I do not have any vibration or pulsating or wheel shimmy when applying the brakes at any speed. I don't have any braking issues, but absolutely hate the brake dust!
So I replaced the front OEM pads with ceramic at about 40K and really love having little to no brake dust. When I was doing my last wash, I noticed a lip around the outer edge of the front rotor that is not present on the rear rotors. Then I got to wondering if the OEM rotors are compatible with ceramic pads. Is it possible that the new pads are grinding my OEM rotors down??! I haven't looked at another IS250 to see if the lip is present. But the beginning photo's in this thread show the same lip, so now I'm thinking it's just me being paranoid...
So does anyone have any knowledge whether or not one should replace the OEM rotors due to using ceramic pads??
Your dealer would've replaced your pads for free with the OEM low dust version, there's been a TSIB for the issue for years.

But no, the groove you describe isn't uncommon even with OEM pads.

Unless it's causing a problem there's no reason to worry about it.
Old 12-22-11, 12:24 PM
kimnrick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Your dealer would've replaced your pads for free with the OEM low dust version, there's been a TSIB for the issue for years.

Kurtz, thanks! I was thinking the same, just looking for some confirmation. When we purchased the IS250, the factory warranty was transferred to us. I mentioned the dusting issue with the Lexus dealer and they advised that it was just the way it was. Never occured to me to check for Bulletins...
Thanks again for the post, really appreciate it.
Rick
Old 12-28-11, 03:33 PM
joedad
Rookie

Red face Ceramic pads

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Where is that TSIB and does it cover '09 is250 ? Appreciate the info.
Old 12-28-11, 09:37 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joedad
Where is that TSIB and does it cover '09 is250 ? Appreciate the info.
just do a search on brake dust and you should find a number of threads discussing it.... I think Lexus changed the pads used mid-year 2009 to the low dust ones standard, so if you have an early 09 I would expect it to be covered.