Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

1999 GS300 need Brake master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 05:26 PM
2haloz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going through this right now with my 99 gs3. Just got a used tested master cylinder for 400. Found a high rated shop on yelp to replace and bleed it for 250. My issue is that the car was sold to me with either the bulb or the wires pulled that light up the ABS/etc lights to the dash. I wouldn't have known ***** if it wasn't for the random beeping.

Just shop auto recyclers locally. Make sure the part is tested. Be frugal. You can get the whole thing fixed for 650 if you're smart. I'm just hoping the lights is an easy cheap fix and doesn't turn into a rabbit hole.
Old 07-30-14, 08:55 PM
Nohawk Lex
Pole Position

Rock Auto has the part for less than $860
Old 08-02-14, 07:56 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Default 01 gs300 master cyl abs changed still issues

so I changed out my master cylinder on the car and it seems every time I break that the pumping action from the ABS is still occurring. So as soon as I come to a full stop brake sound happens the car slides for maybe a milli second and then stops. I have bled all four sides any other things that I am over looking? Is there some type of calibration is required? I have been driving it for about 40 50 miles now and it still is doing the same thing. Doesn't seem to be a major issue but more annoying than anything else. Anyone swap out their abs master cylinder and having the same issue? If so please post and let me know what you did to remove this annoyance. Thank you
Old 08-02-14, 10:24 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

This is real annoying... glad issue was resolved for u was there something specific tjat was unplugged?
Old 08-19-14, 11:52 AM
charlielin
Driver School Candidate

Default GS300 is making fast random squeaking noise under steeling wheel

My 2001 GS300 is making squeaking noise at random time. It starts to make noise not even starts engine. It sounds pretty quick rate and gets often recently. I don't need to press brake to hear the noise. The only way to stop the noise is to unplug the ABS wires in the ABS brake module area. Did anyone fix the problem by anyway other than replace the ABS master pump module which is about $500 used condition ? Please help. Thanks !
Old 08-27-14, 06:09 PM
gsbs300
Driver

Originally Posted by charlielin
My 2001 GS300 is making squeaking noise at random time. It starts to make noise not even starts engine. It sounds pretty quick rate and gets often recently. I don't need to press brake to hear the noise. The only way to stop the noise is to unplug the ABS wires in the ABS brake module area. Did anyone fix the problem by anyway other than replace the ABS master pump module which is about $500 used condition ? Please help. Thanks !

Pm me if you need a brake master cylinder
Old 08-28-14, 06:29 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

What do u mean by squeeking noises? Do you have dash lights on? Are you referring tovthe beep beep beep noise the car makes while ABS and brake lights go on? Please describe the situation better. When I think sqeeking noise I think your brakes pads are sqeeking...
Old 09-09-14, 01:07 AM
gs300pj
Driver School Candidate

I need a BMC as well. But I want to switch my missing Front Right ABS sensor first. (Wire Cut< Just got car) I am hoping that once I replace sensor, my power brakes will return. I have put on a few hundred miles without power brakes now. I did replace the stock discs and put cross drilled and slotted and SS brake lines.
Old 09-09-14, 05:52 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

I wd go search the junk yards for both... cable oem brand new is over 200.. from what I recall, that too can be gotten from junk yard.. how do you know both are bad with one of the cables cut? May just be the cable that needs replaced.. make sure when u swap it out the end thats attached to the spindle doesnt get damaged... also if it is cut..its 2 or 3 wires did you just try to splice them back together first? I wd try that and put it together n put a couple pieces of solder and shrink tubing over top (radioshak) may be easy fix.. bmc is pricy but from junk yard inrange of 350-500..
Old 04-02-15, 12:16 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charlielin
You won't be able to fix the brake master yourself and nobody that I've found can fix it. This item is usually replaced as one unit.

The unit is made up of

Brake master cylinder/reservoir(top center)
ABS controller and fluid module(left side)
brake booster motor(bottom)
accumulator can(right side)

The intermittent squeak is most likely the booster motor pumping up the accumulator which is low on nitrogen so it's pumping up more often than it should. It is essentially a problem that needs to be fixed. The brakes will work, but not as well as they could if this is happening. You can have this specific issue without seeing any lights on the dash.

I just replaced mine with a 2002 unit. You just swap over the sensor from the old unit with a 30mm deep well socket. It's like 60ft lbs, so it's tight. I paid like $430 shipped for mine with a 90 day warranty. Honestly, it's pretty darn easy to swap out the entire unit and bleeding the unit and brakes is easy.

process goes like this

1. install the unit and fill with dot 3 fluid
2. key off depress brake pedal 40 times
3. key on, motor will pump accumulator for up tp 40 sec. it should stop though fi it's a good unit
4. with key to on position pump brake pedal 20 times, buzzer comes on then should go off
5. check for leaks as lines tighten as needed
6. key on position bleed front right, then left caliper by pumping and holding pedal
7. brake pedal will get hard
8. bleed rear calipers by simply holding down pedal and cracing the bleeder,let some fluid out

No need to reset the ecu after all these steps and your brakes should work great if you did this properly and you have a good brake master unit.
The following users liked this post:
morocco (10-04-17)
Old 01-01-16, 05:18 PM
02sean02
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to identify between a 98-00 and 01-05 BMC other than the pressure sensor?
I found a BMC on ebay with the seller claiming its from a 01+ but it has a pressure sensor that looks like 98-00.
Thanks
Old 01-01-16, 07:21 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02sean02
Is there a way to identify between a 98-00 and 01-05 BMC other than the pressure sensor?
I found a BMC on ebay with the seller claiming its from a 01+ but it has a pressure sensor that looks like 98-00.
Thanks
I don't think there's any difference in appearance to distinguish the two. They pretty much look identical. Maybe if there's a part number label on there.
Old 11-16-17, 04:03 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but, my mechanic told me that my BMC is leaking and it'd have to be replaced (unless I can find someone who can rebuild it; which he also informed could be unreliable). Supposedly a new one, if it's out there, is well over $3500. I'm def not wanting to sell my 2GS because of this issue and hoping to get this replaced somehow.

Can anyone direct me to where I could pickup a much less expensive BMC? I have an '03 GS300.
Appreciate any help and leads from the community.
Old 11-20-17, 09:00 AM
talexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
I know this is an old thread, but, my mechanic told me that my BMC is leaking and it'd have to be replaced (unless I can find someone who can rebuild it; which he also informed could be unreliable). Supposedly a new one, if it's out there, is well over $3500. I'm def not wanting to sell my 2GS because of this issue and hoping to get this replaced somehow.

Can anyone direct me to where I could pickup a much less expensive BMC? I have an '03 GS300.
Appreciate any help and leads from the community.
i bought mine from eBay for ($350) and had my local mechanic install it for another ($300). It has been 5 years and 50k miles on it since replacing brake master cylinder. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
4ntvings (11-20-17)
Old 11-20-17, 10:34 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by talexus
i bought mine from eBay for ($350) and had my local mechanic install it for another ($300). It has been 5 years and 50k miles on it since replacing brake master cylinder. Good luck
Thanks for the response and guidance talexus! Checking now

Quick Reply: 1999 GS300 need Brake master cylinder